Komet Concorde, fast mode, LP and 335

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sinasl1, Sep 25, 2006.

1. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

OK here's my final video wank-off session (for now) with the Komet Concorde... in fast mode this time.

I never had the volume above about 5 or 6 on any of this, so, you'll get the idea- this thing has tons of juice on tap. I don't like to use too much gain- just enough to do the job. I ajusted the tone controls on the amp a little, and moved the mic a little from time to time.

I used my LP and my 1963 ES-335- you'll really get the idea how different guitars sound so, uh, different (!) through the amp, even when fairly dirty. I tried to play some chord stuff, lead stuff, clean to scream stuff on the 335 (changing from middle position playing with my fingers, to bridge pup with a pick, and back)... even some VH in honor of my weird VH sighting outside my house a couple days ago.

DISCLAIMER- I hate disclaimers- but I really would use a different mic if I could- I don't mind the one I've been using, especially for clean to semi-crunch stuff, but when the gain gets up there- it's too clinical for me- so that translates into a bit too much "fizz" on the top end.. that's why a good old (and sorta lo-fi) sm-57 works great on hi-gain rock guitar (even better, a Royer 121 or 122 and a 57 blended for a chunky, warm combination). So, if you like these tones, it can really only get better from this point!

here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB76UqCYxgs

2. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

man, you're making me GAS for a 335 now.

I'm really enjoying my LDW and it's the amp for me, because i need the master ... but if i didn't need it ... the Concorde would be mine!

love your clips. i can only hope (and practice) that'll be able to play like that when i'm older.

3. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

Wow.....

Just some great tones, and the playing was terrific! I dig your rock rhythm chops, really done well with attitude. Thanks for spending the time to let us check out the riffage on that great Komet.

Now, to dig up the scratch....:JAM

The Queen quote at the end was a nice touch!

4. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Notice the LDW sitting right there! :) Also a great amp, served me well all summer on tour....

Thanks for the chops comment, yes, i am a rocker and always will be.. If I coulda been born Angus or Malcom I'd be happy as a clam. I'm happy anyways, actually... I think I have verbal, uh, typing diarreha... how do spell that?? i'll shuddup now.

5. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

Pete----tay!!!
    killer stuff man, tasty!! Question......it seems like the 335 clips are always near feedback, it that pickup induced, volume induced, or other?

cheers mate-
    CJ

6. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

pickup and volume induced... if i wasn't so lazy and stood up, the microphonics might not be as bad. But the Concorde is alive! like on the 1st part of the 335 stuff, all those harmonics... it's a beautiful thing, you just have to find the sweet spot, on the amp and guitar volume.. and where you stand, sit, etc. Unpotted pups, ya know. on the clean 335, middle pup stuff, how those clean chords are always about ready to take off- I love that.

7. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

That sounds just killer Pete... I really love the sound of that amp... classic, with a little something extra, that 335 really rocked... and pinch harmonics... the only concern I ever have with non-master amps... aparently not an issue with this bad boy, great chops too... love the Brian May:D

-TJK

8. davros

davros Member

Thanks so much for taking the time to do those clips Pete - greatly appreciated and enjoyed!

You and that amp make one rocking little unit!

9. glman

glman Member

Firstly - I Cannot Believe how versatile this amp is - Gradual - fast delivers everything that anyone could want from an amp - I absolutely love the sound - my next amp for sure - you're a greatplayer and I'm sure there are great things in your future
    Thanx for taking the time to do these clips - very unselfish of you!!
    I'm sure it's appreciated by many who cannot afford to buy the Komet right now.

thanx again Pete!!

10. Glaze

Glaze Member

Wow. You didn't have the volume above 6 for these audio clips? If not, the amp has some serious gain and sustain when not turned full up for a non master volume amp. The tones you are getting out of that amp are fantastic and you have nailed several tones I really like. Between your three video clips I know this amp will deliver exactly what I prefer. Thanks for taking the time to share this. It's a very nice comparison next to the clips on the Komet site.

Hogy tell Ken I am very impressed. You should put this guy's video clips on the Komet site if he will let you because it really let's people know what the amp will do outside of a professional studio. In some ways it's more real and convincing to hear what a guy can do with it in his practice room. If you can get clips like this from customers and put them on the site well it's just a million times better than any Harmony Central review.

Mike

11. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

The TONE has landed! Pete that was unbelievable, I knew I wanted the Concorde but now I now I have to have it.
    I was just checking out your site, great songs and playing.
    The songs
    Born Yesterday
    Tomorrow
    are you singing on those? if so great pipes man:AOK

12. drezdin

drezdin Member

Sounds great! Amp and playing too.

13. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

All three clips sound amazing Pete, Concorde looks (and sounds) like an amazing amp and you burn!

14. Ironman

Ironman Member

Thanks! A lot of us have been itching for some clips of the Concorde and you've got one better by making some video's! Great playing, serious chops and just mouth watering tones! Man, you've got it going on!

I think the Gradual mode is where I'd live with this amp, it had just the right amount of gain/tones for me. I left the high gain stuff in the 80"s but it's nice to know the Concorde could pull it out if needed.

Peter, thanks again for taking requests on the Concorde demos, they were great and very insightful! :AOK

15. mprvise

mprvise Member

Thanks again man, just awesome! Can't wait to get mine and disturb some neighbors! :dude

16. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

That's it, I'm going to have to own a comet! I checked out all those clips, both playing and tone are killer!:AOK

-Rich

17. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Supporting Member

once again. another great thread. you should continue to do this with your other amps. you have a lot of great gear. why stop with just this amp :)

18. mlongano

mlongano Supporting Member

I wonder how many Concorde sales Pete was responsible for in the last week? :BEER

19. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

Peter, what is the silver record in the background? Do tell...

20. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

Yeah I noticed that too, come on Pete don't be shy:p