Komet Concorde Time (almost)!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by markom89, Mar 19, 2008.

1. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

As some of you guys may know, I've been wanting to get a Concorde for quite some time now... ever since Pete did those killing videos of his over one year ago. I could of had one.... twice by now, but I always ended up getting something else for some reason. First the UG-30 (which I love and use everyday) and then the JMI AC-15 twin (which I also love/hate :))) and use everyday- best crunch ;)). Anywho, about what?... a month?... yeah, about that... about a month back (maybe a bit more) I put down a deposite w/ Ken & Gene @ Ultrasound for a custom finish Concorde, and it should be ready next month! Boy am I excited! When I went to pick up my UG-30 rig (the head and Bruno 4x12) I played the Concorde and a few real Trainwrecks (thank you, Gene!) as well as a KILLER early 60's slab fiesta red strat that Gene had just aqquired at the time... Anyways, when I played it (w/ a killer R9) I just KNEW that I had to have it. We had it loaded w/ some NOS Tubes that Gene had just taken out of one of his 'wrecks (I think it was George Lynch's old TW he took them out of) and we through it into fast mode and got it "up there", in terms of volume. Wow! Best Best BEST!!!! Dirty tone I've ever heard in MA LYFE!!! :D It was like "crap your pants" good. Seriously. So meaty and thick sounding. The perfect rock amp, as well as blues and all that other stuff. Despite people saying it's basically a rock amp, it's so much more! The cleans were killer, too- especially in gradual, I found. The amp also cleans up super well w/ a strat (didn't try w/ a LP)... Anyways, mine should be done soon, and I'm very excited. I'm gonna' be running it through my Bruno 4x12, which I had made for the Concorde last year (originally thought I was taking it home, but the UG30 cleans just pushed me towards it) which is loaded w/ 4 G12H30's and is done in a "vintage marshall" style, w/ original basketweave and all that jazz. Very cool cab, that is now fully broken in, thanks to my playing the UG30 day after day for a good 8 or so months now. It's gonna' feel great. The Concorde I'm getting, will be covered in "ivory bronco" tolex, which is a nice cream, off-white color. I really dig it. The front control pannel (and the back) won't be the normal concorde black, but it'll be the silver-ish one that you find on K60's. The knobs will be creme color, too. I'm just very excited and had to share!!! I can't wait and I'm uber-excited. I'd just like to thank Gene, Ken, Mike & Hogy, 'cause they've all been SUPER cool through the whole thing. I've known Ken & Gene for almost 2 years now, and it's my second purchase with them, and can honestly say that they're the best in the business. As for Mike & Hogy... They're just two really cool guys! I've exchanged several e-mails w/ Mike, and he was great to have taken on the task of doing a custom finish Concorde (it'll be the first one!)... Hogy is also a VERY cool cat, who agreed that it would be cool to name the amp after my grandmother, Rose. Add a bit of KF style to it. Anyways, as you can probably tell, I'm very excited! Sorry for no spacing or anything.

Cheers,

Marko M.

P.S. I think I'm also gonna' want a K60 eventually, and a K80 if I ever find one...
    P.S.S. What tubes do you guys say are best to run in the Concorde? Gene said he'll hook me up some killer NOS tubes, but was just wondering what you guys would say.

2. Glide

Glide Member

Man, that is really cool Marko. I know you are excited. I just got an old Marshall 4x12 with pre-Rola's in it and it does so good with my Concorde. I mean simply slowly picking through an "E" chord with the volume at noon will make you grin from ear to ear. After having the Komet for a while I don't have a single bad thing to say about it - just an awesome amp.

3. n.j.

n.j. Member

Awesome, I can't wait to see it.

I too want a K60. Someday.

4. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Member

sounds cool, post some pics when you get it. The Concorde is one of the few amps that interests me at this point, those videos really nailed it for me too. . .

5. mgrier1

mgrier1 Silver Supporting Member

Enjoy, Marko! Great amps - Loved my Komet 60!

Best,

Mike

6. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

Very cool....wanna be sick? My buddy had a chance to buy either Lynch's SLO or his Trainwreck a few years back....chose to buy the SLO because he didn't want to spend $2500 on an amp he knew nothing about :crazy

Suffice to say he kicks himself regularly but now has a couple of Komets and a Carol Ann pedigreed Wreck clone to keep him happy.
    You will love that amp, congratulations :BEER

7. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Glide, sounds KILLER!!! I'm jelous of the cab!
    I'd like to get a nice vintage cab some day... I was close to picking up a '72 marshall cab here w/ original speakers. I also dig the old Hiwatt and Orange cabs! Muy cool!

n.j. Will do, man! You've got some killer gear, though!

Shark Sanwich- I will post the pics... yeah, Pete's videos are POIFEKT.

Mike, Thanks alot man! I appreciate it.

* Velcro-fly *- That IS very cool! I would of gone for the SLO, too, probably... seeing as I never knew of TW's prior to joining TGP, but knew of SLO's, LOL! Thanks for a cool story!

boy, I'm just so excited...

8. JMarck

JMarck Member

Nice Marko! Sounds like it will amazing! Be SURE to post some pics when you get it!

9. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

golly!

10. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Thanks, Josh. I'll be CERTAIN to post LOTSS of pics, as I always do :D

Z, "golly!" is right!!! ;):D:)

11. 8nthatK

8nthatK Supporting Member

Congrats! I think the Komet line of amps are insanely impressive...can hardly wait to get a K60 of me own. The Concorde would be it if I didn't desire a lil more clean headroom.

12. JMarck

JMarck Member

and Marko..if you got that vintage Marshall cab to go with it...my gosh

:drool

13. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

i wouldn't pass over the concorde because of it's lack of clean headroom. it can get very loud and clean. this really surprised me when i got my 'blinky's revenge'. i've played one K60 and i would say the larger differences are not the clean headroom but the concorde's more aggressive OD sounds. the concorde's 'gradual' overlaps a bit w/ the 'fast' setting on the K60 and continues on from there. in an ideal world, one would desire both amps. i know i do.

14. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    I was looking at the Comet site I believe I remember them having an upgrade with 3 different types of NOS Mullards but that may have only been in the Limited Edition and in limited supply and and and...expensive

15. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

correctamundo.
    doen't mean that U're dealer can't hook up w/ some classic glass.
    i still think that the solid wood cab on the KF50 gives a unique timbre to the amp over the concorde. TGP member 'distortion' makes a kick ass knock off limited head cab for concorde owners that want some of that mojo.

16. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

Sounds like it will be a great amp. I can see why you would be anxious to get it. Be sure to post some pics and give us a full tone report when it comes in.

17. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

They re a modern made classic of an amp. I love mine.

18. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

One hell of an amp to own!!!

Congratulations.

Remember to post some pics and of course clips when it arrives!

19. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Thanks again, guys! I appreciate the kind words you've all givven!

Pete, curious... Which speakers do you most prefer w/ yours? I know you've ran them through a few different cabs, so I just thought I'd ask. Thanks for putting up those videos in the first place! I watch them daily! haha.

20. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

it really works well with lots of different speakers- my fav tone on those videos is the gradual mode one, which is the 1st one I did, and all it is is a vintage 30 in a Bogner 2-12" mic'd with a $199 groove tubes condenser, so there you go. I love playing the amp through this 4-12" Gene had made for me, it's a dead-on Marshall repro with Heritage M's. The Bogner cab has a G12H30 and a Gold in it now, and that sounds AWESOME too. And 2 greenbacks in a /13 2-12F is nice too, with an airbrake knocked down a few clicks.

I just did a set of Zeppelin with Linda Perry the other night at The Knitting Factory in Hollywood- it was a benefit and I was using a backline rental cab with my Concorde- a regular Marshall 4-12 with 75 watters, the Ford Taurus of cabs, haha... it sounded great. Not as good as one of my cabs would have of course, but it was fine.