Komet Concorde

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Echoes, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

I just bought a Komet Concorde and spent a few hours with it and a few different guitars and a few tube changes. I hope not to be self indulgent or attempt to 'verify' my purchase with this brief review. It is my intention to inform anyone who is looking to buy a Komet amp.

I have Komet Concorde serial #C08. I bought it through 'Scumback Jim' at Southbay ampworks (class guy and fantastic speaker expert and designer).

The amp is heavy and built very solid. My wife, who is a graphic designer noted the beautiful craftsmanship and 'artistic design' element that goes into the amps visual aesthetics. I have seen a few 'gut shots' of these amps and can attest that the same goes for the parts, wiring and 'engineering genius' to signal path and layout.

I tried the amp with my 71' Marshall checker 4x12 with stock 'transition Rola' Celestion GB speakers. The stock tubes are great! Clear and articulate but smooth and musical gain! and this is with my strat (Fralin pick-ups)...I checked the amp's bias and found it was running a bit 'cold (15ma) the bias knob shifted a bit during shipping... I boosted it to 27ma with most excellent results! I then changed the V1 preamp tube to a smooth plate Telefunken and WOW! the amp just SINGS! I switched to a Les Paul with stock Gibson pick-ups and the amp gets a complex and fat Marshall type of vibe that is ...hard to explain...the notes are very smooth and blended but distinct and individually defined at the same time...sounds contradictory but still true!

The amp sounds and responds better to me in 'gradual' response as opposed to 'fast' (which comes off as a tad compressed to my ears). Even running the amp volume at noon, cut at 7 o'clock, presence at 5 o'clock, mid and treble at 2 o'clock....tone heaven! and as much gain as a Marshall or Bogner with master volume low and preamp gains dimed...this amp has *G*A*I*N*....roll back the volume knob on my LP and it cleans up VERY nice! ....kick in a Fulltone TTE and....well, basically the goods.

I sold a couple of amps to get this amp...including a Bogner Ecstasy....I am not disappointed! I had VERY high expectations and all of them have been met or exceeded. The Concorde is setting right next to a very healthy and vibrant 68 Marshall plexi 50 watter with very expensive NOS tubes...the Komet Concorde out-tones and stomps it...no contest.

To the Komet Concorde designers and builders....Here...here...:BEER

2. gooma

gooma Member

Congrats on your new amp:dude

I concur with everything you said, i also had very high expectations with the Concorde. Sometimes that can set you up for a letdown but definately not with these amps.

I really dig gradual mode with the volume around 2 oclock, it`s just awesome how you can dial the amount of overdrive in with he volume on your guitar.

Try those NOS tubes in the Concorde, it`s really sensitive to tubes (moreso than any other amp i`ve owned) and you might find it`ll sound even better with some nice tubes in there.

I`m just loving the combination of either NOS Brimars and Tesla`s along with a new Tung-sol in V1.

Brad

3. Glide

Glide Member

It's about time we kicked up another Concorde thread around here.
    I don't care how broke I get - Serial 001 isn't going anywhere.

[​IMG]

4. vchizzle

vchizzle Supporting Member

I've had GAS for the Concorde ever since I saw Peter's gradual mode LP youtube clip. I haven't seen one anywhere or had a chance to play one.

Do all you owners run yours at actual volume or use attenuators? Do attenuators work well with this amp. I've never used an attenuator with an amp before, but I haven't had a non-master volume head in awhile either.

I really like the look of the "stealth" cab covering.

5. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Love the amps. I prefer the fast mode though! ;)

6. gooma

gooma Member

I`m doing a bit of both, but to save my hearing i use the Ultimate Attenuator.

Im really happy with this attenuator through the Concorde, to my ears it does a great job of keeping the Concordes tone in tact right the way down to lower volumes.

7. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

The amp isn't any louder than any other 50 watter...I run the thing without any attenuator...

I have a quad of NOS Tesla EL34's coming...2 for the Concorde and 2 for my 76' Marshall 50watter...my 68' plexi has a set of NOS Brimars...

the Concorde sounds REAL fine with the stock Svetlana EL34 tubes...the Telefunken smooth plate in V1 made a significant improvement.

8. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

Fast mode in my amp sounds a tad compressed and less natural and less open...maybe I will think differently when I change the output tubes...

9. Telephile

Telephile Member

I had a brief fling with this amp(loaner from Brian) it still beckons to me.
    Skeet Skeet!!

10. SReynolds

SReynolds Supporting Member

Pitiful little amp!:D I want one so bad it isn't even funny. I got to get one more prior commitment out of the way and then it will happen. I had one and like a nut sold it to fund another fix. Sometimes I feel like I'm chasing my tale. Hell I am. Good news is I'm about to catch it.