Komet constellation or Bruno ug30?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by silencer eleven, Apr 25, 2008.

1. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

hi looking for the similarities and differences between the two. really interested in both. haven't been able to play either but would love to... if you have one in the southern CA area that i could play maybe i could buy you lunch and bring some gear you might be interested in and we can make an afternoon of it.

thanks

Jordan

2. Blueser

Blueser Member

The only similarities between these two are that they are both amplifiers.

3. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

and they are both expensive
    they are both sold at ultrasound
    they both use tubes
    :D

4. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

+1

That said...

I was faced with this same decision last summer, as I had narrowed it down to these very two amplifiers on my "search" for the perfect tone. I don't know how I winded up with these two, but I just did.

I was 100% set on the Concorde, and even had a custom Bruno cab made specially for the Concorde, but a couple of weeks before heading to ultrasound I changed my mind, because at the time, I wanted an amp with GREAT cleans and reverb (not to say that the Concorde doesn't have awsome cleans- it does), so I ended up going the UG-30 route. Sure enough, when I got there and played the two side by side, I couldn't of narrowed my "search" down to two more different amps. Each one excels at doing various things. The Bruno's cleans can't be touched, IMO- same for the reverb. Nicest, most lush cleans I've ever heard, add to that the reverb that Tony's famous for and you've got a GREAT clean sound. The Bruno also takes pedals VERY well. It has a fair amount of clean headroom, I'd say, juding by the fact that it's a 30 watter. Produces very nice natural overdrive and distortion, too. Having said that, the overdrive/distortion sounds of the UG-30 are (IMHO) no competition next to the Concorde. The Concorde has easily got the nicest overdrive/distortion tones I've heard. No pedals needed (unless you're playing at low volumes and crank it- this thing likes to be CRANKED). The Concorde also has GREAT cleans, and also takes pedals very well, but as I said, you won't miss them with this beast of an amp (maybe a delay, fuzz and wah, just for good measure? no? okay...).

In short:
    Concorde=The perfect rock amp (and then some)
    UG-30= The perfect all around amp with a great clean and reverb.
    "perfect" being subjective.

I've got the UG-30 now, but after having experienced the Concorde first hand, I had to order one, so since last July I've been saving and saving and got on the list for a Concorde and am going to pick it up at Ultrasound mid-late May. I'm very excited. They're both very special amps. Good luck on your quest for "teh tone"... Ultrasound are good people!

Peace,

Marko

5. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

my bad i meant constellation... how well do each take pedals?

Jordan

6. hansoloist

hansoloist Supporting Member

LOL!!! Sums it up right there!

peace
    -jeff

7. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

Jordan,

Both sound great!
    Both are very loud 30 watts
    Bruno reverb is probably the best around
    Connie is more raw, Bruno is smoother
    Connie has a ton more gain and is better suited for rock
    Both have great cleans....actually, awesome cleans
    Connie can do the clean to scream thing very well with the guitar's volume
    UG30 takes pedals better than any amp I've tried (except my Cowtipper)
    With footswitch Connie and function like a channel switcher
    Connie will give you that nice controllable feedback and sustain
    Bruno's controls are interactive and you can dial in both Vox and Blackface tones
    Connie is like Vox + Marshall

Like I said, both amps are fantastic. If at all possible, buy both and will never need another amp again. :dude

8. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

thanks so much. i am looking to pair one of them with a bf tremolux. right now i have a dr z stangray that is paired and it is good but after listening to it today i am starting to question it. there is just too much sparkle to dial out. great for some guitars but really hard with a tele.

what pedals are you running with yours? does it dislike anything?

Jordan

9. lgehrig4

Don't currently own the UG30 and I'm not running any pedals through through the Connie. I just want to note that I do not gig. You mention sparkle. To me the Connie is brighter and has a touch more sparkle, much like an AC30. If you are having trouble with sparkle and like to run pedals, I would say go with the UG30. What type of music do you play? What are you looking for in either of these amps?

10. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

11. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I just went on Komet's site and checked out some clips of the Concorde...man those are some sweet tones!

12. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

i guess it's not really the chime i am worried about but the ice pick top end. i like the chime but the really bright top end just kills me. once i started sitting in front of my amps instead of standing over them i really noticed that.

Jordan

13. Blueser

Blueser Member

OK....The is a very different question now....I had both a Constellation and a UG30 here side by side for over two years. These are my observations.

The Bruno has more of a Fendery feel to it, regardless of its use of EL84 tubes in the power amp, or what it's name would suggest. A very sweet clean tone reminiscent of a great tweed, but with a world class three knob reverb as part of the deal! Honestly, I have not heard a a better clean tone or reverb anywhere! It does not have loads of headroom, and will start to breakup at around 11:00 with HB pickups, and maybe a bit past noon with singles.

It had incredible edge of breakup blues tones when you start to get it cooking, and will go into Plexi levels of distortion when running flat out.

The Constellation is clearly in the British tone camp. It is a very simple amp in the way of its controls, but offers an amazing array of tones just by riding the volume knob and varying pick attack. A better player will definitely get more out of this amp (just wish I was a better player!). The cleans are beautiful in their own right, but do fall short of the UG30 in that department. On the drive "channel" which blends in the clean preamp, this amp really comes alive. Some of the best edge of breakup blues tones I have ever heard! As you get up past noon, this amp becomes a raging beast, and can go right up to old school 80's metal without help from a pedal. Harmonic overtones just ooze all over the place, and the feel is incredible. It's like squeezing a sponge to get the sweetest singing sustain, yet it retains it's composure in the bottom end. It is a pretty loud amp for the 30 watts it has.

The other thing to note, is that it uses an octal preamp tube in V1 (6SN7), and is susceptible to rattles and microphonics, so finding a good NOS tube for that slot is a must. IMO, the Tung Sol Round backs sounded the best, but are also the most expensive if you can even find them.

In the end, I kept the UG30, only because I really loved the clean tone, and it takes pedals extremely well. With the Constellation, I really needed to run it with an attenuator, which sounded really good, but robbed the amp of it's greatness. I don't gig, and have small children, so for the few times a year I get to jam with it with some buds at a volume that it requires, it just didn't make sense to keep anymore.

I had the Constellation for over four years, but for the past two plus, I have been playing the UG30 almost exclusively.

Hope that helped.

B

14. lv

lv Supporting Member

Blueser speaks the truth.

I would imagine most would love the UG30 clean tones, but if you can play loud and play more overdrive than clean, the Constellation is an amazing amp.

15. lv

lv Supporting Member

Neither amp has any icepick to be found anywhere.

16. racktifier

racktifier Member

sorry to derail the topic slightly but how does the connie compare with an ac30 in terms of overall volume and break up volume?

17. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

thanks that does help alot! couple of follow up questions... how does the connie take pedals? especially fuzz? there are some sounds that i use pedals for that i need. how is the clean headroom on channel one alone? i will be running one of these with a black face tremolux so it feels like the fender camp may be covered.

Jordan

18. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

that is what i like to hear.

Jordan

19. lgehrig4

Volume is similar, but I think the dirty side of Connie can break up at a lower volume. It's still pretty loud.

20. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Ha! I saw the title of theis thread and thought:

BLUESER!