Komet KF-50 w/ Heritage G12H speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Joern Venaas, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Joern Venaas

Joern Venaas Member

I`m soon a owner of a Komet KF-50 amp. Gene at Ultrasound recomended a 4x12 cab with Celestion Heritage G12H speakers. So I ordered that as well. The cab is made by the same guy who`s building for Diezel, Bogner, Two Rock etc.
    Now, after reading a lot of negative opinions here about G12H speakers, I`m a bit concerned that I might not like them. How different are they to the standard speaker? Is the Heritage almost, or the same as the anniversary? Is the Heritage G12M greenback a better choice? Or others?

Thanks
    Joern

2. Pentode

Pentode Supporting Member

The Heritage G12H is a 55hz cone whereas the G12H Anniversary is a 75 Hz cone. They are both 30 watts.

The Heritage G12M is a 75hz cone 20 watt.

I have not had a chance to try them yet.

Has anyone compared the Heritahe G12H tp the Heritage G12M?

3. Timster

Timster Member

Congrats on the amp. Did Gene mention what the amp will be tubed with? Hogy had mentioned previously that the KF-50 will be loaded with NOS tubes, but I hear now that the output tubes will be current production Svetlanas? Not sure about the preamp tubes. Did you hear anything?

4. Joern Venaas

Joern Venaas Member

Sorry, got no info about the output tubes. Hopefully Hogy will join in.

5. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

the heritage G12H 30 watters are great speakers. they just need time breaking in. they take a little longer then most. i've heard a lot of good things about the scumbacks as well. i have a pair of the heritage g12h30's and would like to try a pair of the scumback g12h30 75hz in a 4x12. i think that would sound great.

6. EL34

EL34 Silver Supporting Member

Are the KF-50's shipping now?

7. Timster

Timster Member

they aren't shipping yet. soon is what I heard.

The folks at Ultra Sound/Komet are keeping tight lipped about the KF-50 for now..

but maybe Ken Volpe, or Hogy can fill everyone in on the latest?

8. martins3325

martins3325 Supporting Member

They arent all done I spoke with Michael the co-owner of Komet today..they want them all done before the sell ANY so they can ensure consistancy from one to the next..smart. I dont think all the head cabs are even made yet.

About your speakers.. i dont mean to sound smug but if you got the coin to drop on a KF50 track down the real deal pre-rola g12H's. Hell, scumbag has a dream cab --original basketweave 4x12-- for sale loaded with 4 of em! Anything less is kinda like buying a Ferrari Enzo and putting "K" rated tires on it. At a minimum go with the Scumbacks. Just my 2 cents

9. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I've used 4 Heritage G12H-30s since they came out and love them. I just sold two 2x12 cabs and saved the speakers for the new Divided by 13 4x12 cab. I'll let you know if it doesn't sound good, but I doubt it.

I've posted before about the need for some serious breaking in, but once they do, they sure are cool sounding. I have not heard the other 20 watter, but these are very articulate and you can't hide behind them. They seem to have all the frequencies, if that makes sense. They are not "peaky" in certain frequencies, but all are very present. The speaker is "in your face" in a good way. They are bright but not irritating. I have used the following through them all with good results: Komet 60 and Connie, Sex Amp, Bruno Super 100, Divided by 13 FTR 37, Matchless Phoenix and a Diezel VH4. Amps seem to sustain more with them for some reason. I have used all the usual Celestions and these are my favorites.
    By the way, I have an original metal handled Marshall 4x12 with 30 watt speakers and these sound very similar, although not as broken in, but that could be the cab too. :cool:

10. celestialpivot

celestialpivot Supporting Member

I just purchased a KF50 Komet.Should
    I get 4/12 with G12H?
    or Scumbacks? 55's and 75's? combo?

11. Glaze

Glaze Member

Timster

I talked to Ken Fischer a couple of weeks ago about the Komet 50. He said he picked the SED Svetlana EL-34's for the regular tolex production model Komet 50 because they are the closest to original Mullards out of all the current production EL-34's. The NOS tubes were only going in the limited edition wood cabinet Komet 50 because they didn't have an endless supply of them.

I actually want the tolex version to take out to clubs, but sure it would be nice to have the NOS tubes. The limited edition wood cabinet Komet 50 would have been the best investment because I know that amp will go up in value. If I was ever going to buy an amp as an investment that would be the amp to buy, but I don't buy guitar gear as an investment so I want the tolex version.

Mike

12. Roe

Roe Member

i'd get a 75hz southbay h model