Komet KF50 owners...would you buy one again?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GAT, Feb 23, 2006.

1. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I really think I want a KF50. Now that the honeymoon has been going for a few weeks, would you buy it all over again?

I'm sure it's a great amp and I'm very familiar with the K60 and Connie. I hoping to have a really "fat" Plexi tone with a good bite and a non-ice picky treble and one that's cleans up very well. Is this the KF50?

I want a fatter, bigger bottom than the K60, less highend bite than the Connie, gain about like a good '68 Plexi, and a good "pop" to the notes. Am in the ballpark?

My current fav amp right now is the Marshall 1959HW with the bright cap clipped. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

To me, you're describing the Fargen VOS to a 'T' ..... it's like a big bottom Marshall with somewhat smoother top end. Can also be EQ'd for a highly scooped sound ...

All the Wreck inspired amps have some major high end to them ... I find I have to tame them with speakers designed for that ... without the right speakers, you'll wince....

3. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Interesting...those are my feelings about Komets too. :) Althought I really dig my 60, I find I crank the bass knob and still want a bit more of what my old JMP50 has, and when I hear my buddy's Connie the high-end breakup it not as smooth as I'd like. Let's hear about the 50!

Greg

4. GAT

Greg,

The Marshall HW is so big on the bottom but not muddy. This is an incredible amp. Cleans with the guitar's volume rolled back are so beautiful, chimey and full.

5. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Thanks Gilbert...a local friend has one and loves it too. He's done lots of boutique amps including a 60. I've only been able to hear it briefly, but looks like I should try to spend more time with it.

I just picked up a '75 JMP 100 (to go with my 50 :))...just waiting for a cap job to be complete, we'll see how it stacks up.

6. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

My experience agrees with this.

7. GAT

Hmmm...I guess not?

I have had two offers to sell me one, though.

8. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

With the gain full out it will .... I've heard comments from a couple people that owned one that said they didn't think it had enough gain.... I always ran it with the gain maxed, which puts it in 80s Marshall gain territory. But it's voiced so much smoother, that it doesn't sound super gainy, IMO.

9. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

It was described to me that the KF50 is more like a blend of a real Marshall, and a Komet 60. I don't know what I'm saying here, just repeating, but apparently it's cathode follower, like a Marshall. Based on what I heard that description makes sense. It's much tighter than the Komet 60, and with endless bottom end (something many people often complain about with Wreck type amps).

I thought the clean tones were much better than the VOS too ....

At the time I made my post, I had not heard the KF50... I was pretty blown away by it, I must say ...

10. Softpaw

Softpaw Member

The VOS has four gain stages, btw, one parallel, three cascaded.....

Also the VOS's w/ reverb have a less direct signal path than the one's with the parallel loop.

11. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

All technical comparisons aside, the VOS matches his description. Fat thick Marshall type sound.

The KF50, too, has more gain than a 68 Plexi ...

Interesting that not one KF50 owner has replied to this thread ...

12. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Its a KF50 Conspiracy!

13. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Yeah isn't it?? Turn the treble way down, and listen to the eq curve shift, the mids go way up .... nice growl, but still smooth ...

The ESC is super subtle, didn't seem to matter to me which way it's set ...

14. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I don't do medium gain.... :)

Seriously though, we need a new thread for this stuff ....

15. Joern Venaas

Joern Venaas Member

Interesting that not one KF50 owner has replied to this thread ...__________________
    That`s because we are so busy playing these amps :D

Joern

16. daneswede1

daneswede1 Member

THere is one on Ebay right now going for $195 and going up supposedly. Ive heard a real Trainwreck qwith a real 1959 Les Paul Standard on Youtube which you can look up and I can say it is quite amazing stuff. Never heard the clones. Just started looking around at these "clones" anyone with info id like to klnow how they measure up as well? For $5k its a bigt investment however you cut it. I love my 1981 Marshall JCM800 2203/Klon Centaur set for Clean Boost/ Bogner Uberkab (no snipping of the bright caps with the Klon and Uberkab combo and a 73 Les Paul. SOunds smooth and thick and sweet at the same time !

17. matte

matte Senior Member

18. matte

matte Senior Member

having owned 4 wrecks and a kf 50, i can say that this does not reflect my experience @ all.

19. michaelg

michaelg Member

i traded my first kf for a guitar that had been eluding me for sometime. missed it so i picked up another. smokin amp.

20. matte

matte Senior Member

uberkab and kf50? incredible.