Komet or Trainwreck + sustainiac?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dayn, Apr 25, 2008.

1. dayn

dayn Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Would a sustainiac (or Fernandes sustainer) equipped guitar with a Komet or Trainwreck (or similar type) amp be useful?

Or do they provide so much sustain and harmonics that it would be overkill or wreak some type of havoc?

Anyone try their sustainer equipped guitar with that type of touch sensitive amp?

2. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

You wouldn't need it with the trainwreck. Possibly not with the komet either depending on what tubes and which model you are talking about.

3. doc

doc Member

The analogy that pops to mind is - how well would it work to put a small Evenrude motor on the back of my America's Cup sailing yacht?

I wouldn't do it, but you could and it would work fine.

4. davebc

davebc Member

I think it would be a real sin to put a pedal in front of either of those amps; but then again I'm an old school dinosaur when it comes to that stuff. :p

5. dayn

dayn Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I agree!

The Sustainiac is not a pedal or an effect. It is a magnetic driver that goes in the neck position of a guitar that vibrates the strings for infinite sustain and lots of harmonic feedback. (similar to an eBow but in the guitar)

I can see where it might be redundant, but anyone tried it?!?!?!?

6. Dave L

Dave L Member

I´ve used a sustainer a couple of times, in the Jackson PC1 and a few Fernandes models, and I believe it could be used with any amp since it´s more a unit you flick on momentarily for specific and special parts than something you keep on all the time to help with the basic sustain.

7. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

That's cool but he's not talking about a pedal. :stir

8. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

OK this thread got me got me curious, so I tried the sustainer with both my wreck and my komet. While it really wasn't necessary it was kind of cool for endless violin like tones. Very akin to using an ebow.

9. doctord02

doctord02 Member

I'd be afraid of getting stuck in an infinity feedback loop and causing the earth to stop spinning forward and instead getting sent back in time...

:)