Komet owners verb and delay?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mastervolume, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

Hey guys

I am loving the Komet 60 I recently pick up and have rediscovered the guitar>cord>amp tone.

It sounds so good that I don't want to drop my pedalboard in front of it. I do need delay and reverb for much of the stuff I play though.

Wondering what you other Komet owners are doing to add the wet stuff.

Since I am always miked I was thinking of adding a rackunit after the on stage mic and getting my wet through the monitor.....

TIA

2. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I use an old Boss DM2 analog delay. It does not mess with the tone on or off, and sounds great to me. I even bought another one as a backup but have not had to use it. Adds a beeautiful wetness that does not get in the way.

I've owned a few reverb pedals and thought they all sounded horrible, even when off, so I've given up on them.

3. hogy

hogy Member

The best way to do this is with a wet/dry rig. Do a search for plenty of info, the basic idea is to tap into the signal after the main amp, with a DI box or an Airbrake attenuator w/ line out, then add your time based effects and run them to another, effect only, amp. A small amp the size of a Princeton or Deluxe will do.

Nothing else sounds as good.

Hogy, Komet Amplification
    www.kometamps.com

4. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

I have actually done the wet dry thing before and the only problem that I have with that setup are soundmen.

I need to come up with a soundman proof sysetem which is what got me to thinking about running my own mic processor to the board at line level...

5. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I've actually brought a small mixer, mic'd my amps and sent them a stereo or mono mix to the board, that way you can control the mix and when you solo the wet/dry mix stays intact.

6. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mastervolume
    I have actually done the wet dry thing before and the only problem that I have with that setup are soundmen.

I need to come up with a soundman proof sysetem which is what got me to thinking about running my own mic processor to the board at line level...

I've actually brought a small mixer, mic'd my amps and sent them a stereo or mono mix to the board, that way you can control the mix and when you solo the wet/dry mix stays intact.

Yep Gilbert's way is fine, as is the original way Hogy said. There's NO EXTRA CHALLENGE to a soundman using a lineout to your FX into a small amp . It doesn't even have be a stereo set, as the small amp works totally great. The soundman puts a 2nd mike on that amp and has 2 controls for you at the board. That's it. IT's ez as pie.. I'm a guitarist but also have done sound enough to know what's easy and it doesn't get much ezier than this!

ERIC

7. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

who is going to trust the sound guy to set their effect levels?

8. GAT

That's why I like to give them a "one knob" mix, they only have to raise one fader for solos.

9. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mastervolume
    who is going to trust the sound guy to set their effect levels?

That's why I like to give them a "one knob" mix, they only have to raise one fader for solos.

Gosh , I would , if they were important with me. But then again , when I play with a soundguy that's NOT me , it's someone I know and trust that's dedicated to our band. WIth house sound guys, who really cares!! IF YOU DO care that much , and are willing to bring all the gear Gilbert's method is foolproof. You're doing your sound from stage and sending it to 1 channel on the board, or 2 if you're employing stereo. HOWEVER, that still doesn't mean you're controlling your FOH Sound.. You might be controlling your fx level but not the tone, the mic placement, the mix etc. Almost every "HOUSE " FOH-sound guy I know concentrates on drums and bass , and then vocals and then vocal harmonies and then guitar (Dead last) . I only rarely see pro foh soundguys get great guitar mixes and tones. It's a different story with the good foh guys who tour WITH the band though .

Good luck

Eric

10. GasMask

GasMask Member

I like running a high quality analog delay in front of my D/13. While a wet/dry rig is probably "better," I'm surprised at how good an analog unit sounds in front of the amp. I've always felt time based effects needed to be after the pre-amp, but it works nicely in front for me too. With the right settings, you can get a very reverb like sound out of it also. Most of the time, the analog delay is the only effects unit I put in the chain. This makes for a simple, clean set-up. It's a compromise, but one I can live with. You might give it a try if you haven't.

11. GAT

Most of the time I just run a Quick Silver delay or a T-Rex for ambience. Hauling the mixer can be a minor pain, the small Mackie is pretty compact.

If you are using delays more for larger effect, then the wet/dry thing is worth it.

12. hogy

hogy Member

I haven't tried it, but I'd imagine a Crate Powerblock would make a good and portable amp for the wet side.

13. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

thought that myself

14. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

I do not bother with separate wet sends any more. I like the sound of my echoplex in front of my Komet. I adjust my levels/EQ with the EP as part of the rig. Sounds great!

15. 6thstringmusic

6thstringmusic Member

Another basic idea: You might know of this but Xotic just came out with their X-Blender. It will blend your dry and wet signal together to make it truer to the original tone. You can run it up front so your signal path could be something like this:
    Guitar -> blender -> fx chain -> blender -> komet
    I've been doing this on and off with my own and clients rigs for a bit now, it's just a real simple setup. Xotic is really the first company to market a product like it but in the past I would have custom mini mixers built up. Sort of a "mini wet/dry".
    Definitely tons of info with wet/dry rigs if you're interested, so search it up!

Good Luck!

16. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

I get the whole delay into the amp on the edge of breakup idea and have run that style of rig almost exclusively for the last 10 years.

With the Komet however I want to gain it out and then control with my volume knob on the guitar. This is the best amp that I have owned for touch sensitivity and really feels like an extension of what is going on in my head. I want meaner I play harder.

Sticking my usual rig infront I can get to the tones I need but I then end up using ODs and really miss the magic that happens organically with the head.

17. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

It is as long as you don't send too hot a signal into it. It'll stall at +4.

18. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Alternatively you can always mic your dry cab and send that to the efx and wet side. Or load the amp down and send the whole shebang to efx and power amp. Viva LA 80s. :)

19. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

The wet/dry thing is a great suggestion but when that is not practical I use a Boss DD20 and I think it sounds pretty good.

20. illinimax

illinimax Gold Supporting Member

Yep. Fulltone TTE for me in front of all my amps.