komet owners. what effects do you use?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wsaraceni, Apr 21, 2008.

1. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

what effects do you use with your komet. and how do you end up using them? wet/dry rig, straight in the front?

i, for a while, used a hot cake in the front end but wasnt totally crazy about it. now, most of the time, im just plugging straight in. i really wish i didnt have to sell my fulltone tube tape echo. i think that would have been really nice hitting the front end with the output turned down so the komet would be running nice and clean .

so, what do you use? how do you do it?

2. mlongano

mlongano Supporting Member

No effects for me...the Komets sound too good by themselves!!

3. Glide

Glide Member

I use a switchbone to mix it with my crystal clean 1978 Fender Twin Reverb. Stereo Nirvana.

4. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I'm not fully qualified to asnwer this, as I'll be an official owner next month, but I'd imagine that you wouldn't need very many effects (if any) with the Komet's as nothing (IMO) touches their natual overdrive/distortion sounds. That said, maybe an attenuator would be the only "effect" needed ;) (and a delay, of course)

I bet my BJF's will sound sweet through it :)

5. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

i thought that's how this thread would end up. the komet is just soo good with nothing but a guitar plugged in. theres gotta be a few out there who like to wet it up a little.

6. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

HotCake sounds great with all of the Komets!!

7. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

I like a Barber Direct Drive into a Nova Delay into the front end when set fairly clean, but that is rare. Usually reamp with a line-out into an on/off switch into the Nova Delay into a Tech21 Power Engine 60 1x12 60-watt solid-state poweramp/speaker combo -- set Nova to 100% wet and leave on, use the on/off switch to engage it.

8. PaulE

PaulE Supporting Member

I use my "whack the strings real hard effect"
    and my "barely touch the strings while loosening my pick grip effect".
    Both work great with this amp. (k60)

9. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

I'll let you know once I receive my K60 on Friday!

I'm thinking about retubing with NOS 6L6's and a 12at7 in the phase inverter to lower the gain a little, and running the amp at a hot clean to light crunch level, with my OD's into a Nova Delay into the front end. If it wants to be cranked, I'll have to reamp it into a Tech21 Power Engine 1x12 for wet effects.

10. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

Landgraff Mo'd with the Concorde-Amazing!!

11. Blueser

Blueser Member

I have found the best setup for a Komet 60 is as follow:

NOS Phillips 7581A power tubes biased to 31ma
    Telefunken ribbed plate 12AX7 in V1
    Mullard 12AX7 in V2 and V3
    Mullard GZ34 Rectifier

In gradual mode, you get great clean tones, and the best compatibility with pedals. Running a guitar with HB pickups, you can run the amp around noon-1:00 to get just to the edge of breakup, which is a really smooth beautiful tone that cleans up really well with just a slight tweak of the volume knob, or a slight pick attack change (softer).

In this setup, you can add just about any good OD pedal and get delicious tones from the amp. I favor a Klon, or a TIM with the Komet for a blues tone, right up to a classic rock distortion. For heavier stuff, the Hotcake is a good choice, but I have also had great results with a Tone Bone Classic, and a keeley modded RAT.

In this setup I run the hi-cut at 1:00, the presence at 11:00, and all of the other controls at noon.

If you want to go without pedals, and rawk out with your cawk out, then just set the amp to fast mode, set your volume to 2:00-3:00, get your best guitar and cable, and ride your volume knob from edge of breakup to heavily distorted but classic tones (no metal here, unless your doing old school Priest). Have your ear plugs handy!

The cabinet I used with this setup is a Germino 2x12 with a pair of well broken in G12H30's (British made). If you want it a bit warmer, a pair of Tone Tubby Alnico speakers would probably do the job without robbing all of the sparkle.

I hope this helps.

B

12. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Somewhere near the Rock and Roll "Hole of Flames"
    When I had a 60 (number 18) I would turn it up till it had hair on the clean, guitar volume down a touch for crystal clean full on for hairy clean and a barber burn unit for tight crunch tones and the second channel of the barber for singing leads. The barber worked great with the Komet tho I didn't like it with some other amps.

Dennis

13. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

seems a lot of people use ODs and Distortions. I want to hear more about how you guys are using delays and stuff like that.

14. EL34

EL34 Silver Supporting Member

I'm using an OCD for pushing my Komets over the top. For modulation, I'm running an AM Bi-Chorus. For reverb/delay, it's hard to beat a wet/dry setup with a Komet....I prefer my time-based effects that way (preserves the original tone).

15. JP

JP Guitarist of Mojo Radio

I still keep my Klon & Sunlion on the board for something differnt, I would advise spending the money on NOS tubes for the Komet,Crank it and ride your volume. That really, is all you need!:AOK

16. Blue Kind

Blue Kind Member

I use a Boss DD3 set with a slight delay and a few repeats, really helps fill it out if you are in a trio situation. I also use and Xotic RC boost to put my solos into hyper drive when my guitar volume is wide open, just adds a little more zing. As stated most of the tone comes from your hands, riding the volume, tone and pickup selection on your guitar. That's all you really need with these amps.

17. ebenezer

ebenezer Silver Supporting Member

18. hogy

hogy Member

I'm not an effects connoisseur and certainly haven't tried all that is out there. I've used the same HotCake since the early 1990's and still think it's a great match for a Komet. Another one I stumbled upon and loved was a pedal called X-Ray. That thing is a killer sounding boost.