Komet Silver Cloud Has Landed! Pictures are up!

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
Komet Silver Cloud s/n 007 has arrived. First off, it was really well boxed. Putting in the KT88 tubes made me feel extra manly... The amp is absolutely beautiful to look at. The Silver Cloud reminds me of a B25 aircraft...beefy, gorgeous silver chassis, and HUGE iron in it.

I plugged it into a THD 2x12 with a Celestion Alnico Cream and Creamback H75. I also used my Kelley attenuator to tame it. I really don't know how to describe the tone. I've had a ton of amps (as some of you well know) and most of the Komet amps, currently gigging a K29.

Even attenuated it has a room filling tone, you will not get lost in the mix with this bad boy. It cleans up really well and takes pedals like a champ (Mirasol and Fulldrive 3). When I say room filling, I mean it. It almost sounds like surround sound, the amp sounds freakin' huge.

It's like a 100 watt Hiwatt mated with a old Bassman. Sustain is immense, even playing clean. Lots of midrange (not nasally), huge bottom end that can be tamed, sparkling highs and plenty of gain unless you're doing death metal. I was playing a '65 strat, a Wide Sky P90 P125C and a Collings I35LC through it. Without pedals I was getting this cool sax-like tone with the Wide Sky and Collings that was so musical and clear. With gain pedals it is so thick and rich, plenty of bite and zero harshness.

Clean players will love it, pedal users with love it too. One thing, if you're gonna crank it up it is Komet LOUD. But with a good attenuator it sounds great. I also plugged in my Aracom and that sounded great too. I bypassed the Kelley and had the volume knob halfway up and it was like riding my old Ducati at 100mph+.

I can see where a 4x10 cab would really shine. That's next for me, getting the matching cab. I'll try to do one of my bedroom videos soon, but I am juggling 2 bands right now and my spare time is scarce. Those of you getting one are in for a treat.

Last edited:

Joe Perry

Congratulations!! Best of luck with it!!

Can't wait to hear a report when you get the matching 4x10.

SReynolds

Silver Supporting Member
I liked the comment about the Tone Drip Towel. Every Komet amp should come with one. Congrats on the Silver Cloud Gilbert.

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Awesome Gilbert!

You going to gig this one soon?

Anje

Silver Supporting Member
Congrats @GAT and thanks for the review, sounds like a really great amp matching the high expectations!
That being said, please tell us more about that "old Ducati" :beer

hogy

Silver Supporting Member
GAT, glad you're digging the amp! Your opinion means a lot to me.

Wait until you hear the matching 4x10. It is unreal. We have prices on the cabs finalized, too, send Mike an e-mail. The same size cab will be available with four 10" Greenbacks, 4 10" Golds, or 2 12" Alnico Creams. Get the Golds...

Hogy, Komet Amplification

GAT

Awesome Gilbert!

You going to gig this one soon?
Yes! I'm back to gigging quite a bit, some pretty big gigs too on outdoor stages. One band is all in-ears so I'll use it through a Suhr RL IR which sounds great with my K29.

The other band is old school and I'll gig this amp a bunch.

GAT

GAT, glad you're digging the amp! Your opinion means a lot to me.

Wait until you hear the matching 4x10. It is unreal. We have prices on the cabs finalized, too, send Mike an e-mail. The same size cab will be available with four 10" Greenbacks, 4 10" Golds, or 2 12" Alnico Creams. Get the Golds...

Hogy, Komet Amplification
Just ordered the 4x10 with Golds!

traviswalk

In the Great State
That is a great review Gil, spot on with how I thought the initial impressions would be. As a man who knows the Komet, is it almost like a BIGGER K60? Not that the K60 needed to be any bigger or any more room-filling in it's own right, just curious how you would compare the two. My Silver Cloud number is at the back of the bus, so I'll live through you for the time being! I've also got some 4x10s that I'm going to put Golds in to see how this shines.

Trending Topics