Komet tonal differences

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Corinthian, May 9, 2014.

1. Corinthian

Corinthian Member

I have major GAS for a Komet. Love the inherent Komet tone and the touch responsiveness, but it's difficult to find information on the tonal differences between the various models. Can any of you who have had experience with multiple models explain some of the differences?

2. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

Maybe you should narrow it down a bit? There is a lot of variation between a K19 and a Songwriter. It might help to tell the group what sounds interest you?

3. Corinthian

Corinthian Member

Good point.

The Songwriter is clearly different from the others. I'm more curious about the higher gain amps. How does the Concode differ from the K60? Are the Aero and K19 just lower wattage versions of the K60 or do they have their own thing going on? How about the Constellation? I understand the differences in output tubes and rectifiers but the descriptions I read of the sounds seem to be the same for all of them.

4. HazelGoatee

HazelGoatee Member

I have played the k60 and Concorde. Both with el34 tubes, Concorde's tone is tighter, rock, more bass than k60.

5. SReynolds

SReynolds Supporting Member

Concorde has more gain than the K60, doesn't clean up as well from guitar, more bottom. I personally think the K60s more versatile and one awesome amp. But for what the Concord does and does so well its hard to beat at its game. There again both incredible amps. The touch sensitivity with the K60 is off the charts good, best I've encountered. Rhythm to lead with just picking dynamics.

6. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

Both Conny and the K60 are loud and don't do well with attenuators IMO... The descriptions are spot on so far.

Haven't played any of the others...

7. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

8. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

Ah yes, I get what you're saying. Komets are all non master amps, with amazing touch sensitivity, wonderful chime, and turn into raging beasts when you turn up the volume. I have a lot of experience with the K60 and Constellation. All of the above are true for both amps. I played a K19 a couple times and it also fit the description- but that's the problem in this case isn't it?

Consider this- maybe Komets are so "pure" that when pushed into gain the tone differences could largely be due to the output tube qualities. EL84s behave differently than EL34s when they are cranked for instance.

I will tell you this, when it comes to the higher gain of Komets, I can get what I need from a K60 or Constellation. Are they different? Sure. But they both deliver the high gain goods. The K60 is a bit tighter and holds together better when cranked up. The Constellation is woolier and fuzzier when cranked up. I would say this is typical of EL34 vs EL84 behavior.

Sounds like the Concorde is a bit different. Tighter, bigger bass, and more suited to hard rock. I'm sure the SS rectifier plays a key role in that. I've long been curious about it myself. I bet if I was going to be using a Komet primarily for hard rock...the Concorde would be best. The K60 and Constellation offer more variety, but the Concorde is specifically targeted to rock hard.

9. Corinthian

Corinthian Member

Thanks for the input guys; exactly what I was looking for.

How about the Aero and the K19? Are they lower wattage versions of the K60/Constellation, or something different?

10. DCH

DCH Supporting Member

I promise I'm not just saying this because I'm selling a Komet (or two)...

But I think both the ones I have, and an Aero I tried, played beautifully with both an Alex's Attenuator and a Komet Air Brake.

Obviously there's always a difference in in-the-room sound and feel when you reduce your raw dBs, and wattage hitting the speakers, but I felt no appreciable loss of tone and playing feel. I believe a lot of people agree.

11. SimonGotthelf

SimonGotthelf Member

I will be doing demos of the Concorde and the K19 very soon.
    I my experience they all have this special "Komet-vibe" and they share the same feeling and touch when you play them, but still they are very different.

They K60 is the "does all well" amp. Sounds great clean and dirty, loves pedals, super responsive…Loud and awesome!
    The Aero er a totally different amp with more gain (the greatest crunch tone), not as loud as the K60, and the clean sound has got more of the beautiful classic EL84 sound.
    Songwriter is the ultimate clean/semidirty amp IMO - turn it on, turn it up, play!

12. SimonGotthelf

SimonGotthelf Member

Totally different, not just lower wattage versions…
    It´s hard to pick a favorite Komet amp...

13. Corinthian

Corinthian Member

Thanks again guy; really great info here. It sounds like the K60 is the one I should be looking for.

(Incidentally, how different are they from the Trainwreck Express? Sorry to confuse things even further!)

Simon, I've watched your videos and they are fantastic; the tone on all of them is sublime! I know what you mean about the Komet vibe. I look forward to seeing/hearing your Concorde & K19 videos too. I don't think anyone has done a comparison video of all of the amps in the same setting; perhaps that's an idea for a subsequent video (not just for me there must be plenty of other people who would be interested in seeing something like that).

14. SimonGotthelf

SimonGotthelf Member

Thanks, I am glad you like the vids…
    That´s a great idea with the whole lineup - actually we do talk about doing a few clinics with all the amps here in Denmark. If or when we get the chance to do it, I will record everything a make it available with some video clips.

But before that, the k19 and Concorde demos in my studio.I will be doing a comparison of the K60 and the Concorde in one of the videos.

15. hogy

hogy Supporting Member

If I may chime in here, the K60 uses a tube rectifier, which gives it a looser, more vintage feel. When you use a tube rectifier, you are limited in the amount of filtering you can use in the power supply. Just a fact, it is what it is.

As a result, there is a certain amount of ghost noting presence that comes with less filtering.

Some love this and feel it adds to the complexity and feel, some don't.

For this reason we now offer an amp we call the "K60 HD". It's basically a K60 preamp and output section married to a SS rectified, more heavily filtered Concorde power supply.

This K60 HD sacrifices a bit of the original K60s sag and vintage feel for a quicker, more precise response and less ghost noting.

Hogy, Komet Amplification.

16. scottrolf

scottrolf Member

I had my K60 fitted with 6L6's which will make a difference just in the K60 arena. Super clean with all the tight headroom I could ever want. I was looking for something to complement a newly acquired ES-335 and the K60 sure fit the bill. I'm also using a 2x12 Komet cab wiht Heritage 65's.

All-in-all I'm very happy with my choice. You really have to play one to know. Great amps.

17. Leftyman

Leftyman Gold Supporting Member

I had a Concorde and it's the only amp that still haunts me. Phenomenal rock amp however, I ultimately got rid of it because as previously stated, I couldn't find an attenuator that worked well with it. I have always wanted to try the K60 but feel I will have the same experience as I did with the Concorde. Not to mention, I don't even like attenuators to begin with. They always seem to squash the tone and take all the dynamics out of the amp.

18. SimonGotthelf

SimonGotthelf Member

6L6 tubes in the K60 sounds really great, I agree. The K60 in my demos had 6L6.
    In the K60 I am using now, I have EL34 and it just sounds Killer to me. Tight, punchy and awesome with overdrive.

19. SimonGotthelf

SimonGotthelf Member

These amps are very loud. It's part of the grrrrrrrreat sound :)

I sometimes use two 112cabs with Scumback M75 (65w) speakers with my K60. This brings the volume down a bit for smaller stages

20. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

I'm not sure how much gain you want in your tone, but the trick I use with my Komet is to use a booster (I dig Germanium type with tone control like the DAM Red Rooster etc.) and an attenuator. You bump the front end of the amp with the booster so you don't have to turn it up as much to get your tone going, then use the attenuator to knock it down a few clicks to a more "civil" level. I also use inefficient old greenbacks which helps. Now you can use your guitars volume control like a gain control and get all kinds of shades of gain from clean to mean. *disclaimer-- this isn't whisper volume but its very, very reasonable like a combo amp level of volume yet it's coming out of a 4x12.

Hogy has offered up instructions for a re-amping set up to get said "bedroom" volume right here on TGP. https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/1226066&highlight=Hogy+reamp

He also explained how to set the Airbrake to the "LOAD" setting and by plugging it into one speaker output and then plugging a speaker cabinet into the other output being able to achieve a signal that's somewhat quieter but unaffected by the Airbrake. You need to set your amp to 8 ohm if using a 16 ohm cab.

Last edited: May 13, 2014