Komet Tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Typhon, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Typhon

Typhon Member

Has anyone played the Concorde using 6L6 power? How does it compare to the EL34s?

2. Mac Daddy 355

Mac Daddy 355 MilkBone Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I believe its only set up for EL34's
    the k60 can take diff tubes

3. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

You can run other tubes in the Concorde, but it is really optimized for EL34s and the Komet guys won't recommend it. The Komet is more multi-valve friendly.

4. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

I played the Komet prototype with 6L6's, while visiting the Komet shop a few years ago while in New Orleans for a bachelor party..it sounded killer with 6L6's. I don't hear many people talking about using their K60's with 6L6's..but it must be glorious.

5. Typhon

Typhon Member

Yeah that's what I thought too, especially since the Concorde is so easy to bias.....it's too bad they weren't more open-minded.

6. katuna

katuna Silver Supporting Member

But that was what the K60 was for. The Concorde was more specialized and they were clear about it up front.

7. realityczech

realityczech Senior Member

Taken from the Komet site:

"This new Trainwreck circuit, which includes Ken Fischer's specially designed power and output transformers, offers an exceptional sound. The Concorde is designed to operate exclusively on EL 34 power tubes. Ken has achieved the very best from this tube compliment without any compromises. The Concorde has more gain than Ken Fischer's other designs for Komet and incorporates a solid state rectifier. A new circuit in conjunction with new transformers and the careful selection of only the finest components allow the Concorde to offer benchmark EL 34 tone with rich complex harmonics, creamy rhythms and singing leads - all reinforced with a strong, bold, tight, low-end response. The Concorde follows the Komet / Trainwreck tradition of creating an amplifier with rich, balanced sound and unmatched musicality including superb touch sensitivity, note articulation, string to string separation and dynamic response. "

8. Glide

Glide Member

My open mind knows one thing:

It's heavenly from the beginning, but after about thirty minutes of cooking, my EL-34 Concorde with a 68 Marshall basketweave cabinet is nirvana in the groove.

The last thing I want in it is 6L6, EL-84, 5881, KT-66, or any other number you can come up with.

9. Blueser

Blueser Member

I am running my Komet 60 with a pair of NOS 7581A 6L6's, along with a 12AT7 in the phase inverter. With the amp on gradual, it definitely leans in the Fender direction with lush cleans, and takes pedals as well as any other amp I have ever had. I am running it into a Tone Tubby H-Bomb 2x12 cabinet (1 Ceramic and 1 Alnico TT speaker). Simply incredible!!!

10. shally

shally Member

just curious.. where in new orleans was/is the Komet shop ??

11. realityczech

I remember a couple of West Coast guys were using Blackplate RCA's in their Komets way before the forum crowd.
    Along with every other tube combination they could dig up!

12. realityczech

All things Komet
    http://www.kometamps.com/

13. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

A Komet 60 with RCA 6L6GC blackplates is the all around best Strat tone I've experienced in 40+ years at this game.

14. Typhon

Typhon Member

The Concorde is specialized for distorted rock but I think that making EL34s exclusive in the power section alienates fans of the 6L6 rock community to which distortion giants such as Mesa/Boogie and Soldano have typically catered.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2008
  15. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

let me fix my rebuttal for you.

correct

if totally different means changing the transformers, and changing to solid state rectification, while fine tuning the same circuit with the same topology and changing values to make the el34s shine, than you are once again correct that its a totally different circuit than the k60

yes. i have heard both amps. they sound different, but not like mesa vs marshall different. the concorde does have more gain

than the k60 should be perfect for you

there is more changed than just a few components. but there are a lot of similarities as well

why are they "close minded" by making it el34 optimized. is the new k19 close minded because it only takes el84s?

16. Brian Scherzer

Brian Scherzer Staff Member

I deleted a few posts and edited one in order to bring some sense of respect between members back to the thread. Please choose to disagree without making it personal.

17. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

agreed!

18. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

NO is short drive from BR.