Komet users - favourite lespaul/sg pickups to use with Komets?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Young Angus, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

Just been playing my Komet 60 for the past couple of days and it's been sounding great using my Strat, then I picked up my SG and it still sounded great but it gets pretty thick pretty quickly with humbuckers.

I didn't EQ it at all differently to when I was using the Strat but I was wondering if people had favourite humbuckers they might use in mahogany bodied guitars that have a great open tone to them which would help combat the darkness that Gibsons usually have.

2. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Member

I've tried a few different PAF clones with the Komet 60w, my favourite with this amp is the '57 PAF Classic that Gibson put in their Historics up until 2002.
    Seemed to have the right amount of sparkle and crunch, especially in a Historic SG stop tailpiece.

3. Blueser

Blueser Member

Peter Florance VooDoo 59's.
    Lindy Fralin Vintage 9K wind

4. hogy

hogy Member

Stick with a vintage PAF type pickup, not something with ultra high output. Also try a 12AT7 in the phase inverter, or a 12AY7 for the first preamp tube to hear if you like that.

5. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

my guitar isnt a les paul or sg. it's a prs santana brazilian, but it still has some of that vibe, maple top, mahog body, short scale. but with the all rosewood neck and trem its still quite different. im really liking the lollar low wind imperials that i have in there now

6. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

Hmm I've actually got the '57 Classics in my SG '61 re-issue and they're okay, maybe I just need to EQ it a bit differently...hmmm think I'll fire it up right now and have a listen ;)