Komplete Kontrol M32

I've been bored playing along with the same old songs and backing tracks and want to make my own, so I started researching the rabbit-hole of keyboard/synth options. After the mind-sploding I was able to narrow down my wants/needs.

As a guitar player first, I really want ease of use and basic functionality that worked seamlessly with my current hardware, and I found what seems to be a really cool setup with Komplete Kontrol M32 - Komplete Kontrol Start - Ableton Live 10 Lite. The controls are pre-mapped for the Kontrol M32 (hardware) to control Komplete Kontrol (software) and Ableton (DAW), so setup and configuration was minimal.

The learning curve is small if you are familiar with this kind of software as it's "Lite" and "free" versions, and there's plenty of YouTube vids out there.

I've been having a lot of fun!

thrashmetl

It’s a rabbit hole, a very large rabbit hole. I bought an M32 at the beginning of the year. I’ve since downloaded multiple soft synths, got rid of the M32, bought a real synth, got rid of that synth, bought an Arturia Keystep, bought a Korg Minilogue XD desktop, sold it, bought a Maschine MK3 which comes with Native Instruments Komplete Select, and now I’m scheming on selling the Keystep in favor of the bigger Keylab, upgrading to Komplete 13, and buying a bunch more software. I haven’t picked up a guitar in 2 months.

BEWARE!

joesnewmatch

Music Is My Soul Food
Supporting Member
@thrashmetl, pickup that guitar! Synths and guitars can live together in harmony! I've been venturing into songwriting with GuitarPro7 and Logic Pro X and they're all just ingredients for the cake -- drums, bass, synths, and guitar.

Calaban

I found myself going down the same rabbit hole about 10 years ago.

Bought a Line6 UX2 interface and downloaded Reaper. Just wanted to record some guitar demos. Goodbye $250!

Decided I also wanted Bass and Drums so I bought a cheap bass and EZ Drummer. Goodbye another $400

“But wait....I need a B3!” Found some free VSTi’s that we’re ok but eventually I wanted better sounds, so I ended up buying VB3 which has served me well. I think it was $149

“Gah...I’m tired of drawing in all my parts in the midi editor...I just want to play them in!” Off to GC to find a midi controller...see you later $179

Stumbled on Komplete 10 online and since I totally need every sampled instrument under the sun, I lusted after that for a while and eventually pulled the trigger...and of course that was before I knew that everything is half off for a while every summer. Farewell, $500!

“I’m tired of headphones and I need some good studio monitors. I’ll get some in the budget range. Goodbye $300!”

“My midi controller just isn’t good enough anymore! I really like the look of this Nektar Panorama. Goodbye $500!”

”I’m getting old and I can’t sit at this desk for too long anymore. I need a standing desk that can hold all my music gear. Oh wow...this one goes up and down at the touch of a button! Goodbye $450!”

”I should upgrade Komplete 10 to K12 Ultimate. I‘ll wait for the summer sale this time so I actually save money!” :::eye roll:::

”The drum pads on the Nektar just aren’t that great...I need a real drum pad. I guess I’ll buy this Novation. Goodbye another $199!”

“Hmm...this stuff could sound so much better if I learned how to mix better. And you know...you NEED plugins and lots of them to be a good mix engineer!”
:::biggest eye roll of all time::: Goodbye who-knows-how-much-money, hello SoundToys, Waves, Toneboosters, Fab Filter, etc etc....

I think I’ve finished 3 songs....but I have a massive folder of ideas!

Can someone buy me a pizza?

thrashmetl

I found myself going down the same rabbit hole about 10 years ago.

Bought a Line6 UX2 interface and downloaded Reaper. Just wanted to record some guitar demos. Goodbye $250!

Decided I also wanted Bass and Drums so I bought a cheap bass and EZ Drummer. Goodbye another $400

“But wait....I need a B3!” Found some free VSTi’s that we’re ok but eventually I wanted better sounds, so I ended up buying VB3 which has served me well. I think it was $149

“Gah...I’m tired of drawing in all my parts in the midi editor...I just want to play them in!” Off to GC to find a midi controller...see you later $179

Stumbled on Komplete 10 online and since I totally need every sampled instrument under the sun, I lusted after that for a while and eventually pulled the trigger...and of course that was before I knew that everything is half off for a while every summer. Farewell, $500!

“I’m tired of headphones and I need some good studio monitors. I’ll get some in the budget range. Goodbye $300!”

“My midi controller just isn’t good enough anymore! I really like the look of this Nektar Panorama. Goodbye $500!”

”I’m getting old and I can’t sit at this desk for too long anymore. I need a standing desk that can hold all my music gear. Oh wow...this one goes up and down at the touch of a button! Goodbye $450!”

”I should upgrade Komplete 10 to K12 Ultimate. I‘ll wait for the summer sale this time so I actually save money!” :::eye roll:::

”The drum pads on the Nektar just aren’t that great...I need a real drum pad. I guess I’ll buy this Novation. Goodbye another $199!”

“Hmm...this stuff could sound so much better if I learned how to mix better. And you know...you NEED plugins and lots of them to be a good mix engineer!”
:::biggest eye roll of all time::: Goodbye who-knows-how-much-money, hello SoundToys, Waves, Toneboosters, Fab Filter, etc etc....

I think I’ve finished 3 songs....but I have a massive folder of ideas!

Can someone buy me a pizza?
Yup, sounds like me.

p.j.

It’s a rabbit hole, a very large rabbit hole. I bought an M32 at the beginning of the year. I’ve since downloaded multiple soft synths, got rid of the M32, bought a real synth, got rid of that synth, bought an Arturia Keystep, bought a Korg Minilogue XD desktop, sold it, bought a Maschine MK3 which comes with Native Instruments Komplete Select, and now I’m scheming on selling the Keystep in favor of the bigger Keylab, upgrading to Komplete 13, and buying a bunch more software. I haven’t picked up a guitar in 2 months.

BEWARE!
Wombat Hole?
Vombatus ursinus -Maria Island National Park.jpg

Trending Topics