Kool and The Gang will be opening for Van Halen? WTF?!?!?!?

B Money

I remember a rockabilly band opening on the 1984 tour. I think it's Dave's thing! Mix it up...
That rockabilly band was "The Velcros" from Syracuse, NY. I work with one of the guitarists, and I know a couple of the other guys too. I've heard some funny stories from that tour and seen some backstage pictures.

How they got that gig I've never heard though. I should ask Mike, maybe I can get some of those pics from him.

51nocaster

Actually a Gretsch salesman and endorser was probably the first to tap in the 60s. The White Falcon was a guitar made just for him and after many requests they added the Falcon to the Gretsch catalogs.
Jimmy Webster is correct.

My father had a customer at Gretsch who got us tickets to
the intro show for a new incarnation of the White Falcon in NYC. (mid 1960 something). I believe this was the first guitar with a tuning fork in the body attached to the bridge....(maybe the only company to make guitars with these? ...dunno)
Jimmy tapped the tune Caravan...among others
I was blown away!

Neer

Supporting Member
Jimmy Webster is correct.

My father had a customer at Gretsch who got us tickets to
the intro show for a new incarnation of the White Falcon in NYC. (mid 1960 something). I believe this was the first guitar with a tuning fork in the body attached to the bridge....(maybe the only company to make guitars with these? ...dunno)
Jimmy tapped the tune Caravan...among others
I was blown away!
I used to have the Webster's Dictionary LP--my aunts and uncle worked for RCA and it was among the myriad LPs they had piled up in their basement. His version of Caravan was on it. I believe he called the technique Stereophonic Guitar.

Sorry to go so far off topic.

Hammered

Supporting Member
I remember a rockabilly band opening on the 1984 tour. I think it's Dave's thing! Mix it up...
That would be The Velcros.In the early 80s VH used to have opening bands that were so different than their style of hard rock that they were bound to fail. They did have Talas open for them in '80 and they actually went over really good.

Misterbulbous

to put it bluntly, I think the Kool and the Gang opening choice sucks. I'll be going to the Louisville concert, and considering the ticket price is north of $150 each, I have zero desire to see Kool and the Gang, nor do I think they have any ability to draw me in, mostly because I HATE that Celebrate song. It was gay, annoying and overplayed in the '80's and remains gay. For the life of me, I can't figure out some of VH's strategy when it comes to rewarding their loyal fans.

Neer

Supporting Member
to put it bluntly, I think the Kool and the Gang opening choice sucks. I'll be going to the Louisville concert, and considering the ticket price is north of $150 each, I have zero desire to see Kool and the Gang, nor do I think they have any ability to draw me in, mostly because I HATE that Celebrate song. It was gay, annoying and overplayed in the '80's and remains gay. For the life of me, I can't figure out some of VH's strategy when it comes to rewarding their loyal fans.

A song is gay? As in happy?

pickaguitar

2011 TGP Silver Medalist
Silver Supporting Member
I welcome K&G...would like to see them actually

Come on now - Jungle Boogie, Get Down on It...

Last edited:

tnvol

Ufologist
I'd love to see VH but have no desire to see Kool and the Gang, no matter how good they are.

Baracus

Would like to see see Kool etc...

who's VH?

oh they had that 'jump' song yeah? wore tights and stuff

yeah that was great... i guess.

BluesForDan

Supporting Member
huh, suddenly I want to see this show now. Just to see how this goes down. Frankly, I bet KATG will go bonkers. Who knows, maybe some of the kids being dragged to this eddie vanhasbeen whatever by their dorky guitar player wanna be dads, will see what a really cool genre funky music is. And then if VH doesn't blow chunks but actually recreate some of their faded glory, they might see what drove dad bonkers years ago.

Nah. But it might be fun to witness the trainwreck. On comped tickets, or radio show prize tickets. I don't think I'd drop any benjamins of my own money on that.

V-Type

Kool and the Gang are a great pairing for this VH.
They have been kicking it for what 40 plus years now? Old School.
I have no problem seeing an established multi genre reaching band vs the latest Nu fad on the radio myself.

Last edited:

Igneous

Yup I used to do sound for bands at weddings and I can tell you easily top two hated songs(celebration)

DRS

Video evidence confirms that Kool's guitar player was the first guy ever to tap on the fretboard. The tour slot is Eddie's way of returning the favor.
I dig it, Jimmie Webster is Kool's guitarist.

Seriously, I dig Kool. They will probably play much better than VH but the fans may hate them anyway.

BedroomRockStar01

Supporting Member
If you're paying these ridiculous ticket prices and expecting to see anything resembling a good show from DLR & Co., take solace in the fact that Kool and the Gang will be putting on a good concert. At least you're not totally getting ripped off now.

tiktok

Supporting Member
I remember an interview where Alex Van Halen was asked what sort of opening bands he preferred for VH, and he said "Really bad ones, so that all our fans go out in the lobby and buy one of our t-shirts."

Seriously.

Dr. Jimmy

Yeah, because that's the only song they have.......:facepalm

They have a pretty deep and funky catalog of tunes.

changeling

hey,when you get a chance,listen to "best of both worlds" and see if you can tell where vh got that cadence they used in the chorus.

blood5150

You really dont know anything about David Lee Roth

dhdfoster

Silver Supporting Member
Not my favorite song, but I always thought Celebration was pretty hetero.

Trending Topics