Korea v. Chinese Epiphones.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by eurotrashed, Feb 25, 2009.

1. eurotrashed

eurotrashed Member

I really want either an SG or a Les Paul Jr with P90s but I have a hard time supporting the big G anymore...

Plus I have had great luck with imported guitars, and after modding them, I dont think I'm as honed as you guys to tell the difference.

I have a Washburn WI64 that is a fantastic guitar that was made in Korea in the Samick factory. I also have my brother's Samick made Epiphone Les Paul which isn't too shabby either.

The Chinese made G-400s felt horrible in my hands but a second hand korean G-400 would be easy to get.

Anyone have comments on the quality difference between Korean made and Chinese made Epiphones? A used G-400 plus some nice P90s, new pickguard and maybe a Maestro or Bigsby I think would be a sweet axe if the axe it self can live up to the parts.

2. OlAndrew

OlAndrew Member

Might want to check here:

http://forums.epiphone.com/Default.aspx?g=forum

It's been extensively discussed. In my experience, it comes down to the individual guitar. There's great ones and utter duds from any factory or nation.

If I had to blindly buy one sight unseen, I'd probably prefer a Samick, although I don't have a REAL justification for that.

If there was a Chinese I could play at a local store that was at least pretty good, and the alternative was buying something else blind, I'd buy the local. Even at a slightly higher price.

3. eurotrashed

eurotrashed Member

You make good points.

In high school this kid had a Samick SG and always said how much he liked it.

And I noticed some new washburns I played dont play nearly as nice as mine but i didnt check to see if Samick is still making them

4. phantasm

phantasm Member

I had a Samick SG that was heavy and sounded deader than particle board- it's all in the individual guitar.

5. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

I've played a lot of imported guitars and generally speaking the Korean made ones have been better than the Chinese and Indonesian ones. That's not to say Chinese and Indonesian stuff is crap, plenty of it is great notably the Squier VM and CV series. It really boils down the the company's specifications and QC of which I don't have a bunch of experience with Epiphone...

6. PA Woody

PA Woody Member

I bought a 2006 Chinese made Epi LP Plaintop from Sweetwater a couple years ago. I haven't needed to do anything to it other than change strings. It came from the Deawon Plant. Fit and finish are fine. Plays great. No problems so far.

7. shane8

shane8 Member

i've played some very good chinese epis > as they say, consider guitars on an individual basis

8. eurotrashed

eurotrashed Member

Yeah, I've always seen Korean guitars as quality. My G&L, my Washburn, my brother's Les Paul and my Tiny Terror are all made in Korea.

I think my first guitar was made in Indonesia, but I can't speak much for quality coming out of there.

But I never heard anything bad about Korean guitars. Chinsese stuff, I have heard some horrible stories and some good stories.

Where are Sagas made? My Saga is/was crap.