Korean Epiphone Dots any good ?

Lullabies

Looking at getting a used semi hollow. Was wondering if the Korean Dots were any good and what the output on the pickups is like ?

thanks guys!

CharlyG

Play It Forward
Silver Supporting Member
Any Korean Epiphone I have played is great, but I am a Seymour Duncan fan so they get SD Jazz for the neck and any of Seth Lover, Antiquities, or Pearly Gates is fine for the bridge. I don't even think abut it any more, it's just the first thing I do. I happen to like the Sheraton because it's a true Epiphone design, no Gibson counterpart.

rockabilly69

Silver Supporting Member
I think the Chinese Dots are made more consistently than the Korean ones. Alot of people like to hype the Korean made Epis to sell them, but I don't know where this comes from. All of the best Dots I've heard seem to be of Chinese origin, and I own quite a few high end guitars, but one of my favorite guitars is a Chinese Dot that is bone stock. When I got it, I was testing amps in a Guitar Center where my friend handed me this Dot and all of the amps where sounding pretty good. Because of my prejudice towards cheap Chinese made guitars, it took me a while to figure out it was the guitar that was sounding so good! My friend wound up buying me that guitar and I love it! Since then, I've played some other really good ones that came from China. Can you find a pretty good Korean example? Probably, but like I said, I've played quite a few good Chinese examples, and I don't remember any of the Korean ones that sounded as good. My advice, play it through your rig to see if it does the trick!

CharlyG

Play It Forward
Silver Supporting Member
I have no issues with the Chinese Epis, but the Koreans I have had over the years seem just a tad more "solid"..And I like the brown in the burst vs yellow/orange.

JohnSS

Mine is Samick made and I love it. Plays better than my friend's 70's era ES-335. Pickups tend to break up easily, which is great for distorted blues and rock. Have to keep the volume knobs under 7 for jazz cleans.

Trending Topics