• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Korean-made Epiphone Riviera with mini-humbuckers

jpervin

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone have any experience with this particular hollowbody guitar with these particular pickups?

utterhack

Had one. Sold it in a fit of paring down. Don't regret it exactly, but I do miss it. Played well and the minihums made it a bit brighter than a dot or sheraton but still thick. Great clean and driven tones.

Neck was a bit narrow iirc...

jpervin

Silver Supporting Member
Well, a couple of weeks ago I found a new Riviera w/minis in a store just south of Miami. It was on the clearance rack for $500. Picked it up, played it unplugged, then plugged in. The tone was actually quite nice through a Twin, and the neck felt really comfy. Playability was really good! I went back a week later and it was still there, so I brought my tweed Deluxe to demo it and it sounded even better. I put some $$$ down on it and have already bought a hard case for it off of Ebay. Pics to come when it comes home. :)

utterhack

Well, a couple of weeks ago I found a new Riviera w/minis in a store just south of Miami. It was on the clearance rack for $500. Picked it up, played it unplugged, then plugged in. The tone was actually quite nice through a Twin, and the neck felt really comfy. Playability was really good! I went back a week later and it was still there, so I brought my tweed Deluxe to demo it and it sounded even better. I put some $$$ down on it and have already bought a hard case for it off of Ebay. Pics to come when it comes home. :)
congrats :AOK

the frequensator bridge is interesting... you can kinda use it as a trem :)

teleking36

I had a nice Epi Riviera with minis in a beautiful sunburst finish for a while. I bought it from Ishibashi's used stock for $500. It was actually a really great guitar. It was my first experience with minis, and they were great both clean and dirty. I shouldnt have let that one go, but sold it in a moment of weakness. I'm sure that with many MIK Epi's there can be some inconsistencies, but they're definitely worth checking out.

jpervin

Silver Supporting Member
I had a nice Epi Riviera with minis in a beautiful sunburst finish for a while. I bought it from Ishibashi's used stock for $500. It was actually a really great guitar. It was my first experience with minis, and they were great both clean and dirty. I shouldnt have let that one go, but sold it in a moment of weakness. I'm sure that with many MIK Epi's there can be some inconsistencies, but they're definitely worth checking out.
The Riviera I put on layaway seems to be a good one. And it's red! :AOK

Seems like it had been sitting out for a while though. There was quite a bit of dust on it, yet still had the hang tags.

jpervin

Silver Supporting Member
thats actually better, the woods already going to have been aged for years without any wear and tear
It sounded really resonant and "woody" when I played it unplugged. And the tone really seemed to "jump out" when played plugged in, particularly on the bridge and middle settings. I may have to play with the neck pickup just a tad.

benjammin420

hmm i wonder how old it is. in 2005 i bought a strat of the wall w/ tags and plastic, but it loooked aged, the maple neck was tinted (new MIMs look almost white) and the price was lower than any other of the same model. when i brought it home and looked under the pickguard, it was dated 2000.

jpervin

Silver Supporting Member
hmm i wonder how old it is. in 2005 i bought a strat of the wall w/ tags and plastic, but it loooked aged, the maple neck was tinted (new MIMs look almost white) and the price was lower than any other of the same model. when i brought it home and looked under the pickguard, it was dated 2000.
I don't recall seeing a manufacture date on the sticker inside the body, but I wasn't exactly looking for it either. When I go back to make my next payment, I'll take a look.

Epiphone has supposedly stopped making these models. When they stopped, I don't know.

benjammin420

youd probably have to look up the SN. no biggie, but it might be fun to look into. My V is from 04 and in the manual it has the Riviera, but with full humbuckers. but i think that may have been the end cuz i know they havent been in production for several years, ive had my eye on them for a long time

jpervin

Silver Supporting Member
youd probably have to look up the SN. no biggie, but it might be fun to look into. My V is from 04 and in the manual it has the Riviera, but with full humbuckers. but i think that may have been the end cuz i know they havent been in production for several years, ive had my eye on them for a long time
I'm curious about the mfg date as well. I'll have to copy the s/n next time I'm in the store.

This Riviera sounded closer to a Tele, due to the mini-hums. I doubt I would've bought it if it had full-size humbuckers.

M

Member 37136

Anyone have any experience with this particular hollowbody guitar with these particular pickups?
Eve Monsees of the Austin band Eve and the Exiles plays one and it sounds awesome for their early-60s-Stonesy-garage-pop stuff!

poopie boy

Okay this is a guitar that I've been considering getting for several several months now. This is going to be my first "real" guitar purchase, since I learned to play on an old MIM strat my brother had but never used.

My question is, is there a huge difference between the Epi Riviera Elitist model made in Japan and the ordinary version made in Korea? Is it worth the price difference?

Trending Topics