Korg AM800R- Just Got One Of These Hard To Find Items

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
So I just bought a pretty much NOS Korg AM8000R with original packaging, manual, power, etc for about $240.

These things are hard to find and even harder to find for US power range (most on EBay are for Japanese power- 100V).

I'm very excited to get this. I'm still in the hunt for a good, decent priced DL8000R. May be a who,e for one do those. But for now the 3 FX engines (one dedicated to delay and Reverb post the other 2 enigines) should be fine. I know the delay times are reduced from the DL series, but I think I can make it work for it's use situations. Aside from that I have Roland SDE-3000 and Korg SDD-1200's I also use for delay.

jaykay73

Great find and price!!!

Very interested to hear your thoughts on this unit. There's close to nothing on the interwebs and pootube about it.

Post clips please.

JK

Sardocasm

cupcakes
Silver Supporting Member
I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it. I was on the fence about getting one, but opted for a Sony v77 after hearing that the UI on the Korg was especially uintuitive. I still sort of want one, though.

Dave L

It´s a bit tricky to get into, for sure, but it sounds good across the board and has very useful routing and submixing between the three blocks. I had one for a few days, but it had a faulty display so it went back.

DieHon

How fast is the preset change?

I'm really interested in that unit. Please record something for us :)

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
I will certainly try to post a review and then some videos of examples. More than likely the sound example will just be slightly tweaked presets (which are to Korg's and the sound designers credit are supposed to be quite good, which I can believe) as the AM and DL units are supposedly not known for being intuitive, have little info about them out in the wild and the manuals suck.

So its going to take me some time to figure the unit out enough to create some good patches. But I will certainly try to do some "out of the box" examples.

I'm very excited for this thing to arrive...

I will certainly try to post a review and then some videos of examples. More than likely the sound example will just be slightly tweaked presets (which are to Korg's and the sound designers credit are supposed to be quite good, which I can believe) as the AM and DL units are supposedly not known for being intuitive, have little info about them out in the wild and the manuals suck.

So its going to take me some time to figure the unit out enough to create some good patches. But I will certainly try to do some "out of the box" examples.

I'm very excited for this thing to arrive...

Well...
the DL8000R factory presets show very little of the amazing stuff one can do with the unit.
I wouldn't be surprised if the AM is similar, although I believe the two units weren't exactly designed by the same team.

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
The AM8000R arrived a day or two ago. Its very, very awesome. Plus, alleviating one of my fears, the delays modes in the 2 primary FX slots will have more than enough delay time for my general uses (each mode is slightly different but most seem to have up to 800ms and I usually reside from 150-525 for my general delay uses).

Its very cool that it has dual FX engines then another 3rd FX engine dedicated solely to Reverb/Delay. The mix on this sits a bit lower than the other 2 FX modes even when maxed. But it makes sense as that's how, for most uses, you would have it. So you can run 3 delay engines, 3 reverbs, 2 delay and a reverb... whatever.

Most of the modes sound great but I haven't had a chance to do too many from scratch yet, so most experiments have been just modifying existing patches. It took me about 20 minutes to get the hand of how to get into menus and back out, etc Its actually a really east device to program.

I would say I will try to a video soon, but realistically irt may be a few weeks. I'm recovering from knee replacement surgery and its hard enough to just sit and play for a few minutes, never mind record a decent sounding and looking video. But I'll try as the recovery gets better (and my chops back up to par- i haven't really played in almost 2 months from this surgery).

But all in all, I'm very happy. I hope I can find a DL8000r for a decent price within the next year or so. That and a PCM 41 and 80/81 and I'll be done with my rack buying stuff for a long while (since I just re-bought a Triaxis).

Sardocasm

cupcakes
Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the review! It looks like I may have to get one of these after all.

DieHon

The AM8000R arrived a day or two ago. Its very, very awesome. Plus, alleviating one of my fears, the delays modes in the 2 primary FX slots will have more than enough delay time for my general uses (each mode is slightly different but most seem to have up to 800ms and I usually reside from 150-525 for my general delay uses).

Its very cool that it has dual FX engines then another 3rd FX engine dedicated solely to Reverb/Delay. The mix on this sits a bit lower than the other 2 FX modes even when maxed. But it makes sense as that's how, for most uses, you would have it. So you can run 3 delay engines, 3 reverbs, 2 delay and a reverb... whatever.

Most of the modes sound great but I haven't had a chance to do too many from scratch yet, so most experiments have been just modifying existing patches. It took me about 20 minutes to get the hand of how to get into menus and back out, etc Its actually a really east device to program.

I would say I will try to a video soon, but realistically irt may be a few weeks. I'm recovering from knee replacement surgery and its hard enough to just sit and play for a few minutes, never mind record a decent sounding and looking video. But I'll try as the recovery gets better (and my chops back up to par- i haven't really played in almost 2 months from this surgery).

But all in all, I'm very happy. I hope I can find a DL8000r for a decent price within the next year or so. That and a PCM 41 and 80/81 and I'll be done with my rack buying stuff for a long while (since I just re-bought a Triaxis).

Thanks for this!

Did you noticed any delay when switching presets?

How do you compare the quality of its "effects blocks" with other gear? I'm about to sell my Axe Fx (amazing unit for amp sim and other things) and I'm mainly interested to see if its mod blocks can deliver, like phaser, flanger, etc.

mentoneman

Thanks for this!

Did you noticed any delay when switching presets?

How do you compare the quality of its "effects blocks" with other gear? I'm about to sell my Axe Fx (amazing unit for amp sim and other things) and I'm mainly interested to see if its mod blocks can deliver, like phaser, flanger, etc.
if it's like the dl8000 it's really fast

Dave L

I never gave the switching much thought when I auditioned the one I had, but I think the reason why the DL is so fast is that it only has that one program and never has to load anything except settings. The AM could be different.

Sorry to hear about your knee. Take it very easy, step by step and you'll be fine for the nice season.
I was hinking about tricks on the AM. It may be possible to sum delays in series to get longer delay time. Looks like a 1823 (800 + 1023) ms delay can be covered with the FX2>DLY&VRB configuration. Even an 800+1023 by 3 delays (MultiTap) should be possible. At least from the manual...
Some nice delays>delays work is also available, DIG style but more evolved than that.
Reverb post-processing is another interesting field on the AM.
You cannot run 3 reverbs but what's cooler than that is running 3 delays in the 3 blocks, even 3 instances of Multi Tap delays (6 lines in each) or combinations with Dual Multitaps (3x2 lines PCM style). And diving them into each other is what can take you into Black Hole style coarse reverbs zone...
Those EQs at input stage can do some cool sound shaping work.
Chorus cascading is another interesting field to explore. Nice set of LFO waveforms there. And the Ensemble chorus could be a nice one.
I might get one of these toys... as they are still very cheap. Might be a different story in a while...

Reactions: ljs
So, any news on this?

I'm really curious about the switching velocity!

I don't have the AM8000 but I know a thing or two about processors.
Being a device with just TWO algorithms, which are identical anyway as the only real difference is audio paths, I am SURE the switching time is fast as hell.
The processor doesn't need to decompile/compile new structures. There's only ONE living structure there with little audio paths changing and some algorithms switching.
Besides... switching time is a non issue! Don't forget that.

Videc

Would like to get my hands on at least the manual for AM8000R, to get a glimps at how routing, effects, etc. are set up in this one.
The poor mans Eventide, they used to say for AM8000R. ;)
Anyway, saw some ads for these units on Italian classifieds site.

DieHon

I don't have the AM8000 but I know a thing or two about processors.
Being a device with just TWO algorithms, which are identical anyway as the only real difference is audio paths, I am SURE the switching time is fast as hell.
The processor doesn't need to decompile/compile new structures. There's only ONE living structure there with little audio paths changing and some algorithms switching.
Besides... switching time is a non issue! Don't forget that.

Great! I'll be in your land next month :)

We should do a "rack meeting" some day! Are there many guys from Europe here?

Would like to get my hands on at least the manual for AM8000R, to get a glimps at how routing, effects, etc. are set up in this one.
The poor mans Eventide, they used to say for AM8000R. ;)
Anyway, saw some ads for these units on Italian classifieds site.

Which site?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom