Korg Ampworks

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by monkmiles, Mar 29, 2008.

1. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

I picked up a Korg Ampworks used strictly for practicing with headphones at home. I recommend it for anyone looking for a small, cheap amp emulator for practice.

Its out of production and there's plenty of modelers out there with more options and such. But for the price (I got it for $40 including shipping) and it's size (it's pretty small), it's pretty cool. I wanted something smaller than a Pod with just basic options (amp models and a few effects). So I can keep it on the coffee table in the living room and plug into it when I'm sitting around. I imagine the newer Pandora is much better, but for the amount I'm going to use it I didn't want to spend more money. I did consider a Zoom G1, but went for the Ampworks.

Anyone else toy around with one of these?

2. monkmiles

Guess I'm the only one, huh?

3. Electric I

Electric I Member

Gettin' one of those or a vox amplug. Decisions, decisions...

4. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I tried a new one in a music store once. I was looking for something inexpensive that could do the all-around fx thing (delay, chorus, flanger, and what not), and the amp models were not that important to me. I actually ended up getting a used AX1500 instead ( I didn't have a lot of money, and I also needed a unit where I could isolate everything else from the amp models if I needed to, so I got that instead). I've liked the Korg stuff ever since I picked up a Vox Valvetronix combo amp which has Toneworks-designed modeling.

5. mrmax

mrmax Member

No you're not the only one...I've got 2 for Bass & 2 for Guitar. I like the Bass version better though. Got 1 on my Bass pedalboard ,the other one is a backup. The guitar version ...I'm still tooling with it, trying to find a home for it. But overall they're very, very cool, if I must say so myself! :AOK:AOK:AOK

6. uberpict

uberpict Member

Still using my AX1500G for stereo delay, chorus and other stuff. The distortion isn't really necessary with my Rivera but the modulation, ambience and pedal effects work pretty good in the Rivera's loop. It's a low-end unit now but a pretty good value all in all. So no, you're not the only one! :AOK

7. jbert58

jbert58 Member

I have had an Ampworks for a couple of years and really like it. The effects are a little too pronounced to my taste, but the amp and speaker emulations are quite good and can produce some very cool tones.

Great for headphone practice as you said, and very portable.

Jbert

8. monkmiles

I'm still tweaking to get a crystal clear clean tone. I've been trying the BTQ Cln sim, but perhaps I should try the BLK212 and AC30 as well. Any pointers on getting a clear clean tone?