Korg Arp-2600!

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by pcs9527, Jan 10, 2020.

1. 71strat

71strat Member

MOOG 1 Analog Polyphonic Synth 16 Voice??

[​IMG]

2. c7sus

c7sus Member

The 2600 isn't in my budget at all, but it's simply too cool to pass on something that has been out of production for 40 years. I'm in. I can't wait to patch a guitar through it.

Devnor and eclecto-acoustic like this.
  3. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Wait, it comes with speakers?!?!? Direct out vs. speaker comparison towards the end of the video.

One of my concerns has been whether I can make space for it in my house. The fact that it basically has a built-in PA could make for the space problem. I could put it in any room and not have to also move a couple of full range speaker with it.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  4. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I would like one but not $4000 worth. I’ll have to wait for the Behringer clone I guess.

5. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

But it comes with it’s own roadcase!
    ;)

IMHO it’s fantastic we are able to see the reissue of these classic synth, from the 2600 to the Behringer clones.
    All this gear came out before I was of legal age and couldn’t afford it anyway.
    Now the problem is figuring out which ones to buy, and how I’m going to plug/patch it all together.

6. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

...and its own PA!

For a while several local musos were playing ambient gigs in yoga studios. I want to get one, lug it into one of those studios, and serenade those yogis and yoginis with the kind of soothing waves that only the 2600 can make, the kind that also gives your organs a gentle massage.

Assuming of course there are any left by April, which is what Guitar Center's website is saying when they will start shipping. I unfortunately won't know for a while if I can take the financial risk yet, heh.

7. c7sus

c7sus Member

I saw the announcement Friday at lunch at work. By the time I got home and checked out Sweetwater (my go-to music retailer) they were already gone. I emailed anyway and got a response this morning that all they could offer was a place in line in the event they score some more or people start cancelling orders. The overall tone of the message was better look elsewhere.

I called a local dealer Friday evening, they didn't respond until Saturday afternoon. They have an allotment of 4, of which three were spoken for by 3pm Saturday. They want $1000 down payment to hold one.

So in the meantime I scoured some other sites and the only retailer I could find that said they had stock left to sell was GC. Not my first choice by a long shot. But I went for it anyway. Somebody from GC called this morning to verify that I want the merch but had no idea about the number of units in the reissue or how many GC has to offer.

The 2600 is an impulse buy for sure. But what an impulse! They aren't gonna be around for long. The demand does make one wonder if the "limited run" is gonna become a much larger number.

Mine is supposed to ship end of March. So if they are offering late April deliveries for sales this week they must be into their second round of merch.

Oh, and about the Moog 1...

I revisited the Moog 1 after looking into the 2600. It's really comparing a piece from the dawn of synths to a piece showcasing 50 years of technical advancement. For reasons inexplicable to me my wife said I should go for the 2600 if I'm into it. I doubt she would feel the same about dropping $8k into a Moog 1!

8. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

GC/MF now says shipping 4/25. I'll probably check the local shop though before making a final decision.

Nice overview article - covers the oscillators, filters, how Joe Zawinul got the reverse keyboard layout for "Black Market", etc.:
    https://www.perfectcircuit.com/sign...youtube&utm_medium=video&utm_campaign=arp2600

For convenience, the in-depth video that comes with the article, in case you haven't heard enough yet of that massive 2600 sound

9. Valtyr

Valtyr Member

Can't afford, not getting it............but I really love the fact that stuff like this is being made again. :)

Flouncingfleasbag likes this.
  10. dsimon665

dsimon665 Supporting Member

the Arutria VST is fun. It has a lot of presets which help with learning how to patch it.

They usually put the V collection (including the 2600 VST) on sale at the usual sale dates.

With the VST you can follow along with actual hardware demos too - but you might have to squint to see how they move the sliders.

you can find the "ARP 2600 patch book" online - it has some patch examples.
    or search "Arp Patch Book with TTSH" on youtube.

For a year or so I've had a couple TTSH pcb/panel sets. I purchased most of the parts to build one of them, but haven't started on it.
    TTSH is a 2600 clone, but in a shrunken format - You can find demos of it on youtube.
    the video "ARP2600 clone TTSH first test with Ernesto Romeo from Klauss" is a good one.
    or watch Steven Drake's "TTSH Sync Demo" to see an example of a modified 2600 with an OSC sync circuit.

...and I have the parts to build a 1601 sequencer clone.
    1601 is part of the Arturia vst also.
    The new Korg has a nice arpeggiator in its 3620 keyboard - maybe that's why they don't have a 1601?

also...the Korg has two filters with one selectable at a time. (see the sweetwater demo)
    The original has one filter, but it had a couple revisions over time.
    ARP was threatened with a lawsuit by Moog over the first filter on the 2600 - so maybe Korg has the new and old design?

On the TTSH I can build either filter, but there's no provision that I know of to include both.
    It could be as "simple" as running them in parallel, and adding a selector switch on the output.

GovernorSilver likes this.
  11. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Just Wanna Be Misunderstood Vendor

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    I can’t watch/listen... It sounds too good :drool. Black Friday 2020 can’t come soon enough here lol.

12. Angstwulf

Angstwulf Member

Synthtopia is reporting on a rumor that Korg will release a less expensive mini version. While unconfirmed, this makes sense given the expense involved in recreating the FS. Also, while the full sized versions of the MS-20 and Odyssey were "limited editions" Korg announced a new run of FS MS-20's in different color variations (I particularly like the blue one) and I don't think it's too hard to find a new FS Odyssey.

I wish I could say one of the reissues is on my shopping list (stupid child protection laws) but funnily enough, I long for the FS MS-20/Odyssey but would prefer the mini-2600.

That is, unless the keyboard is too short to strap on like Edgar!

13. pcs9527

pcs9527 Member

I'd much rather them keep it at a full-size keyboard but cut the extra bits...make the whole thing a normal size, get rid of the speakers etc. Surely that is possible.

14. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

15. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I wasn’t insinuating they were expensive. Compared to many guitars it’s downright cheep. So cheap in fact is that the first orders are already sold out apparently.
    Go buy a Murphy les Paul and relic tele. This is a paltry sum for those buyers. But I barely get use of my Behringers to their fullest so for me, not worth it .

16. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Richard Devine jamming on the KARP 2600… and some other gear too

17. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

I waited too long - no longer shows up on either the GC or MF website. Local shop (Chuck Levin's) only had 2 to sell, and both gone, of course.

I ordered from zZounds. Haven't bought anything from them for years but I know it's an established business. I convinced myself that I will make music with it after it arrives - or at least play with it several times a week - and not just let it sit around like a piece of furniture like i did w/ the Moog Voyager. Moog One looks and sounds nice but it's a different animal. I can honestly say I will never use it effectively enough to justify the expense.

The ARP 2600 was always known for having that big, friendly, inviting panel for patching, sound exploration, etc. originally designed for education - and very little dependence on firmware updates - well the original had no firmware from what I understand :p. And it's pretty much self-contained, even with it's own built-in PA.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020 at 6:32 PM
    c7sus likes this.
  18. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

The Behringer take has no speakers, from what I've seen posted from various NAMM reports. No keyboard either, which shouldn't be a problem to ARP 2600 fans because the original technically didn't have a keyboard attached either - you had to plug in the keyboard.