Korg D1600 - Kiwi Update?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by BigDoug1053, Aug 2, 2005.

1. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

I am in the process of getting rid of a ton of old recording gear and downsizing to a digital portastudio. Jeez - what a pile if inertia - it is getting to be a major boil on my rump! The good news is that I have sworn to not buy anything new until I clear the basement and have a clean working space.

Anyway - I am hovering around the current incarnation of the Korg D1600. I breezed through the previous threads and noticed that Kiwi has had one for awhile. How is the unit holding up? Any longer-term problems?

Thankyouverymush!

2. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

I've owned it for three years now and it's been a workhorse. No problems or glitches.

Workhorse: I record my own stuff on the D1600, two albums worth in 2002-2003, plus recording a very talented young band here in town (another two albums, through last month) and their various solo projects as well (uncounted songs!).

I use the D1600 almost daily as well for its mixer section, running a drum machine through the monitors for practices and rehearsals. I work with it as a recorder two or three times a week, for three years now.

Most importantly, it's never given me any trouble. I do back up projects to the onboard CD burner, but I've never had to use them.

Since I bought mine for about $1350 in 2002, they've come out with the Mk II version and the price has come down to around $1050 or so. No regrets about buying too soon; I've gotten a lot of use out of mine.

One thing that might push you into D1600 land is the existence of the Korg D1600 users forum, a remarkable resource for help with questions or problems, large or small. Many, many owners post there. Its moderators include some tech guys affiliated with Korg USA and have been very helpful. Check out the discussion at

http://www.korgstudios.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=7

The one common complaint about this unit is: The onboard mic pre-amps are just not powerful enough to get a hot recording level. Fine for POD, or bass DI's, or drum machines ... but for mics (either dynamic or condenser) everyone, including me, has to go to outboard mic pre-amps. Maybe the Mk II has addressed this problem.

There are many digital multi-track units out there, and the price on them keeps coming down. If I were starting new today, I would also seriously look at the Yamaha AW16G unit, which I think is down to $990 or so.

All of these units have a learning curve, to use them to their fullest extent. If you've done digital recording, mixing, and editing before, it's much easier.

But each brand will have its own way of doing things, and that's where the D1600 users' forum has been so incredibly helpful. It's like a gift with purchase.

Kiwi

3. BigDoug1053

Thanks, Kiwi! I appreciate the detailed response. This is a perfect example of why I love TGP. So many decent people with a lot of experience and willingness to share.

You rock! :cool:

4. Kiwi

Thanks, man. I don't actually rock, but I do like to help folks.

Let us know what you end up with, and why (what collection of features, price, etc etc).

Kiwi

PS - old joke about these digital recorders: The unit is free. But the manual is $1000!

5. Kiwi

Update Aug-29-05..........

Heads up, BigDoug ...

I went over to the Korg users board and learned that the D1600 is not going to be continued from this fall forward.

Several thoughts:

- You can now expect blowout prices on the remaining ones

- Talk on the D1600 board is that parts will be available for 5 years

- New D3200 model will be available at the price point ($1400) where the old D1600 was

- New 3200 will accept all backup files from all other D-series recorders.

Kiwi

6. BigDoug1053

Thanks, Kiwi, for the heads up-

I just had a bunch of consignment guitars and gear sell, so I was getting ready to consider buying. I kinda wondered when the D1600 would be updated or phased out - figuring I would buy as the product cycle ended (as per my custom) when the better newer more features product arrives a month after I buy. Digital tech is so transient!

Thanks again! :)