Korg D3200

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by david henman, Feb 15, 2008.

1. david henman

david henman Member

...i'm about to pull the trigger on this daw. looks impressive.

does anyone own one? any caveats?

-dh

2. isfahani

isfahani Member

3. MarkL8

MarkL8 Silver Supporting Member

You might want to research the Yamaha AW1600. I was at the same crossroads as you are I glad I went with the Yamaha.....both are good units. I just felt the AW offered a little more.

4. III

III Member

I like my D3200. Plenty of tracks and editing for ambitious DIY projects. Enough simultaneous inputs to get good live takes. The built in amps and effects are fun to goof off with and make up song parts when you need to be quiet. The 16 Knob Matrix is great.

If I could just learn to record drums good I'd be happy.

The small screen and no external monitor hookup is the biggest complaint. The Session Drums are laughable.

Definitely research on the Studiotrax forum.

5. sfletch

sfletch Member

I'm not really sure what your needs/ambitions are - but I had a d1600 a few years ago...it was my LAST stand-alone DAW.....and it was pretty good. The things I produced on it still sound pretty good....BUT -

I have to put this question to anyone considering a piece of gear such as the d3200....why not go with a computer system?

I currently run a PC with Cubase 4 and Acid pro 6 with a few extra VSTs and plug-ins - really pretty modest system, and I cannot imagine going back to a stand-alone system, unless it was just for recording band or live tracks which I would then bounce over to Cubase for editing and mixing.

You just can't imagine the ease of editing audio in a computer based DAW over a stand-alone system, plus you're going to have to master it on a computer anyway....why not just keep all of it in one box.

Plus with all the COOL plug-ins out there, there is a whole world of fun - and gearlust, waiting for you should you choose to go with a PC or MAC system!

Just my 2 cents....the Korg units are great in that category, and you can certainly produce great stuff on them. I just had to chime in- having been down both roads.

6. david henman

david henman Member

...the yamaha will only record eight tracks simultaneously, same as the 24-track tascam 2488 that i currently own.

i am, however, going to take a look at the roland 2400 series.

-dh

7. david henman

david henman Member

...three reasons: price, space considerations and time constraints.

although computers have come down in price, in order to meet my requirements i would need a 24-32 track mixer, which can be very expensive. as well, it would simply not fit in my small studio.

i have a day job and do not have the time to research, set up and learn how to use a computer based studio.

as well, proponents of computer based systems all rave about the editing capabilities. that doesn't interest me. i only record raw tracks, then turn them over to a professional studio for mixing/mastering.

i have gotten along fine lo these many years without a computer based studio. what could i possibly be missing?

absolutely, i will one day build a computer nased studio. but, now is not the time.

-dh

8. david henman

david henman Member

9. sears

sears Member

Having been down both roads, I ended up with the Akai DPS16, which is a steal used and does 16 tracks of 24-bit audio. Get the portastudio if that's what you want to use. The workflow is very different. For laying down tracks, what more do you need?

10. moody07747

moody07747 Member

SC has a review on that Yamaha unit, it seems great for the price.
    My cousin has one (someone actually sold it to him for real cheap) and it works great.

I'm going for the 2400 for the automated faders and more tracks.

http://tweakheadz.com/review_of_the_yamaha_aw1600.htm