KORG DL8000R

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by parntz145, Feb 13, 2017.

1. parntz145

parntz145 Member

Hey all,
    I just picked up a Korg DL8000R. Im going to be running it stereo (W/D/W). Does anyone know how I would set the unit to 100% wet? I have been trying to find the manual on line so I can down load it but can't find it anywhere. Any help is much appreciated. I have heard these units are a bit of a pain to learn.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  2. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

scroll to the MIXER parameter

enter the sub parameters under it by pushing the knob in and scroll to DIR(ECT) LVL (level) parameter
    you can set the level to -INF to kill the dry signal

you can also exit the MIXER sub parameter level and scroll to MIX OFFSET to change the direct/effect balance level of all presets by turning DRY OFS to -INF (zero) and DLY OFS to a value you want

it takes quite a while to become quick at finding all of the menu locations and parameters you need to remember in order to program this device intuitively, because there aren't many shortcuts to get from point to point in the menu. but the delays and choruses in this thing sounds great!

3. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

4. parntz145

parntz145 Member

5. parntz145

parntz145 Member

Should I use TRS cables to hook this unit up? Im going with a very straight forward easy rig. RJM mini mixer, DL8000R and an HH V800 power amp. Im running a wet dry wet rig. I currenty run a G force and use TRS cables .

6. JMMP1

JMMP1 Member

If you're talking of running stock off the shelf balanced cables, the RJM mini mixer doesn't do that (from what I've seen). If you're running custom balanced cables on one side and unbalanced into the RJM, there may be some benefit there, but Italo could tell you better/more. Also, based on a quick search (which brought me to one of Italo's posts on HRI), the Korg does not have balanced I/O, so the TRS balanced question becomes moot for that unit. For the G-force, I would imagine you need the aforementioned custom cables.

7. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

You really *need* to read both the Korg and G-Force user manuals....

8. parntz145

parntz145 Member

As soon as I get the Korg delivered I will. I heard the Korg manual is pretty much useless

9. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Wasn't to me!!! Don't "hear"...
    ;)

10. jaykay73

jaykay73 Member

The page with the algorithm diagram IS the manual. Extremely useful IF you know how to MAKE things out of delays - flangers / choruses / diffision blocks, etc. If you don't, stick with the factory presets.

JK

11. Gone Fission

Gone Fission Member

Do a web search for Craig Anderton's Digital Delay Handbook. There are various scans and text versions of this handy cookbook that gives you roadmaps for lots of practical magic that has been forgotten by most users in the preset era. I think it generally presumes a pretty basic DDL, but just imagine dropping this knowledge on a really powerful and tweakable multi-delay algorithm.

12. Saint Luminus

Saint Luminus Member

Got Anderton's Digital Delay Handbook a couple of years ago due to Italo's recommendation. Indeed very eye opening and perfect because it assumes a simple DDL with modulation. Who knew there was so much power in such simplicity.

13. parntz145

parntz145 Member

When setting the DL8000R to 100% wet do you have to do every preset or is it a global setting?

14. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

See post #2 above.

15. parntz145

parntz145 Member

I must say I am really impressed with the Korg. Delays and Chorus sound GREAT. Unit is not as hard to learn as I thought it was going to be. I only have it close to a week so still have more to learn.

16. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

when you start needing a challenge try emulating the ADA STD-1 rack chorus settings in the korg

[​IMG]
    these are the time offsets -- to begin with take the lower time values on the left side of this chart and attach them to the taps in the korg as follows:

1.3ms = left tap 1 2.2ms = right tap 1
    4.6ms = left tap 2 5.8ms = right tap 2
    8.3ms = left tap 3 11.1ms = right tap 3

within each tap you will need to enable the LFO modulation feature in the tap's submenu, and select the depth of modulation each tap utilizes (generally speaking the taps with low ms delay times can support higher modulation depth values).

the master LFO speed, phase, and wave type are selected further down the main menu.

the ADA manual suggests that the master LFO modulation speed ranges from .1 to 25 seconds which translates to 10 Hz to .04 Hz, and the korg ranges from 16Hz to .01Hz. remeber: Hz = cycles per second or cps
    the .70 to .80Hz range is a nice start.

(the ADA can also superimpose an additional modulation sweep from .01 to .5 seconds (10Hz -2 Hz) upon the initial LFO modulation, but i am not sure you can emulate this in the korg internally which is one of the major differences between the two units-italo may have suggested that an external midi controller may be able to variably adjust the speed of the korg's LFO in real time as a means of approximating this though)

and then you will also need to determine the output level, phase, and stereo placement of each tap via panning in the mixer section of the menu. note that left taps don't neccessarily all need to be panned "hard" left, and right taps all "hard" right. there are some interesting combinations to be had when the short taps are more central and louder, and the longer taps decrease in volume and fan out further left and right respectively, or vice-versa....really pay attention to your tap output levels, master delay level, and balancing your effected output versus your bypassed output level while tweaking.

start by only monitoring the first pair of taps at fairly high levels and mute the others. play with LFO speed, shape, and depth here, and panning.

additionally the remaining left and right feedback time controls can be used as traditional "delays" which the preceeding taps chorused sounds feed into. so by setting the left and right feedback times longer ala 250/500ms you can achieve the classic "chorus into delay" sound. but i would hold off on that element until after you nail down the desired chorus effect first. another choice to make is normal or cross feedback and to my ears cross feedback is typically the more complex and interesting sounding of the two.

another tip is using pre-eq to brighten or darken the initial attack as a way of balancing your guitar and amp's tonality with the effect, and then using high and low frequency dampening on the feedback side fine tune the feedback delays for more digital or analog delay sounds. pre-delay can have some use when trying to provide more separation between the core dry sound and the effect but i tend to use it sparingly if at all for this application as it tends to diminish the tighter short ms analog sounding chorus vibe. if you've made it this far you have rceived quite a workout on the unit!

all of these practices aren't precise and honestly i don't totally fully comprehend every parameter interaction or all of the variables that prevent exact emulation between the units like italo can explain but this excersize approached this way allowed me to create really nice choruses that can get really 1210 or tri stereo like when paired with other rack playmates.

iam_krash and DieHon like this.
  17. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Well...
    the ADA STD-1 is based on a much different structure than the Korg. You can't really even try to mimic it as they have almost nothing in common.
    The only "idea" you could use from the ADA (and from many other units) is using uncorrelated delay times, as the values suggest IF read in the vertical dimension.
    That's where you can get some nice stuff.

18. parntz145

parntz145 Member

Ill give it a try once I really get the unit down. Right now im really going after those 80's type George lynch delay and chorus tones. I love his Lynch mob sound.

19. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

i was really into lynch's sounds for a while, particularly his bogner tones on sacred groove.

although i can totally appreciate tones like his and nuno and even wolf/balls to the wall metallic grind,

i'm way more interested in vintage warm fat ej/holdsworth lead tones to vh/landau levels of gain on the treble end of rhythym crunch, and all of those guys rely on a large degree of power tube saturation and effects.

20. AnalogKid85

AnalogKid85 Member

If one were to get really familiar with the way the DL8000R modulation works--like say, knowing exactly how far in milliseconds the modulation Depth takes each delay line, by doing tests--would it be fair to say it's possible to get similar results?

Obviously, we're throwing quite a bit out the window here--"secondary" modulation, feedback (since there's no way to feed one tap back to all 6 taps at the same time, like on a D5000), 0.x ms precision...but I have to think that something could really be "matched up" here pretty close, for a good variety of the straight chorus sounds this unit can do.

The big mystery here to me would be how to get similar modulation behavior over similar sweep depths. This is hard enough to do on the PCM80, but I think it would be even harder to do on the Korg (since there is no "glide response" parameter).

Everything I've said so far presumes that all the taps in the STD-1 are not in series (or series & parallel)--if they are, then it's really not going to work ;)