Korg Pitchblack+ Problem

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mfgobbi, Oct 16, 2008.

1. mfgobbi

mfgobbi Member

I just got one and use it with a shared AC adapter. While notes are played during tuning there is a hum, mostly noticeable if you turn on a fuzz pedal after the tuner. Anyone noticed this?? Does it happen with the smaller pitchblack??? I can't believe korg has overlooked this!!!!!!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  2. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Supporting Member

Not with the Pitchblack, but my Planet Waves tuner does exactly the same thing. I'm about to move it to the end of the chain because of it.

3. mfgobbi

mfgobbi Member

I sold the planet wave for that reason... clearly, the pitchblack+ circuit is somehow leaking crap to the output while tuning, so the question is: is it really true-bypass (as claimed) while it is in bypass???

4. GuiltySpark

Well, true bypass is about what it does when the pedal is disengaged (off), not while its tuning. That would be the tuning circuit.

5. mfgobbi

mfgobbi Member

I understand that, but why the hell would a true bypass pedal have the tuning circuit connected to the output jack while it should be muted?????? If you engage the pedal, shouldn't just the input jack connect to the circuit???? I am just suspicious...

6. GuiltySpark

Dunno, but my PW tuner annoys the crap outta me for doing that, and I was about to buy a Pitchblack. Guess I'll put the brakes on that and just buy a TB Looper instead.

7. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Senior Member

I love my pitchblack. Dead silent

8. mfgobbi

mfgobbi Member

Do you share the power supply with other pedals??

Try turning on a fuzzbox after it... and try tuning the guitar... the problem is only noticeable while you are actually playing notes/tuning while the pedal should be mute.

9. R_S_G_7

R_S_G_7 Member

try giving it an isolated power supply, see if it does the same thing.

10. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Mine has zero issues and it sits at the beginning of my chain. When I step on it, everything else just shuts up. However, when the distortions are engaged, the volume is high, there can be some noise, but thanks to my smartgate, that is all taken care of...

Pitchblack rules...

11. highfive!

highfive! Member

Sounds like a power supply issue. PB requires 500mA.

12. Seegs

Seegs Member

have it on a Cioks power supply which is not isolated...it's at the end of my chain and no noise that I have heard...

Chow,
    Seegs

13. Merelington

Merelington Member

I used to have my planet waves tuner running off an isolated input and had that hum when it was first in my chain. Once I moved the PW to the end the noise stopped.

I'd try all options before labelling the Pitchblack as "crap"...I'm guessing your problem may be the shared power supply? I love my pitchblack, she's dead silent and running first in my chain without throwing my fuzz pedals out of whack.

14. gemmill

gemmill Member

no problems w/ my pb at any point in the chain. not using any od or boosters though.

15. nitefly7

nitefly7 Member

isn't the Pitchblack supposed to run on DC ?

16. mfgobbi

mfgobbi Member

Isolated power works, battery also works, but sometimes I want just a few pedals and for that I like use a power-all or Rocktron power supply which have more than enough juice for 3-4 pedals... well no more. I am hoping that, while on, the pedalis connecting the output to ground or something like that, and that is causing some kind of ground power supply hum issue, ... it looks like a design flaw.

17. mfgobbi

mfgobbi Member

Yes it is... I mean an AC adapter to give me 9V DC ;)

18. highfive!

highfive! Member

Well then take the power-all daisy chain cable, run it from the extra DC output from the PB and connect the plugs to your other pedals. Then use the correct 500mA adaptor to power the PB, and you should be golden to power another 4 pedals. If not, you gotsa lemon, or something else wierd going on. I've run my PB in all sorts of configurations, all sorts of supplies, daisy chains, etc... and never, ever had any noise or hum issues.

19. OrangeAD30TC

OrangeAD30TC The venerable H.W.

My pitch black leaks some output if i put it in my effects loop.

20. mfgobbi

mfgobbi Member

That's really bad news, because that would mean no true bypass... are you absolutely sure about this??