Korg Pitchblack tuner

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JimmyR, Feb 19, 2008.

1. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Well I finally got myself one of these - I have long wanted a good quality tuner that is true bypass. I've actually taken the back off to try and see if it really is TBP but it's difficult to tell. Certainly my brief tests of playing through it bypassed and then without it in the signal path at all seem to indicate that if not TBP then it doesn't mess with my tone. I will experiment some more on this.

But it works really well as a tuner. there is very little twitchiness to it and my 335 is perfectly in tune as a result. It's difficult to describe, but the way the LEDs operate makes it very easy to use. They fade in and out rather than blink on and off. And the whole unit is smaller than I thought it would be. It's pretty cool.

I may be on the way to having one less pedal (A/B box) on my board! Less is more!

2. jhumber

jhumber Member

Thanks for the quick review.....I'm interested in this pedal so if you have any other info on it, please speak up....My strobostomp is being repaired and i've lost confidence in it, and my TU2 isnt in the same league of accuracy as the strobo.

How accurate is the pitch black?

Is there any chance you could post a picture of it on your board? That would give a good representation of it's size compared to other pedals.

Thanks again
    Jordan.

3. jb1911

jb1911 Member

Where did you get it?

4. blood5150

blood5150 Member

yeah.... i would like to see a pic of it next to other pedals as well.

5. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

I just checked and it's about the size of a TS9 type pedal - maybe a millimetre or so narrower. It looks very cool in the flesh. Sorry don't have anywhere to host pics. It does seem accurate and is a joy to use.

I got it from the local music shop here - I'm in Perth, Western Australia! They just turned up today.

6. ROTHNROLL

ROTHNROLL Member

You can use imageshack.com to host image files or email it to me and I will post it for you. I am wanting to know how it looks in the flesh on a board

7. nangillala

nangillala Member

Or you can send me the picture and I'll host it on my webspace.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't one tell if it's true bypass if you can play even when there's no battery connected?

Florian

8. GDking

GDking Member

Ah cool finally the tuner I and a lot of others have been waiting for.. Ordering one today.

Strobe style, true bypass, muted tuning in an MXR sized pedal that does nothing but tune, without 110 more dollars in bells and whistles this whole buying segment will not use? Wow who would want that, even at the sake of some accuracy? With nice jacks too? Blasphemy!

Oh yeah I remember now who wants that, myself and most people I know.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Pitchblack/

9. jb1911

jb1911 Member

Your Sweetwater link sent me to Guitar Center where they've never heard of it. I've called a dozen stores this morning and no one has them yet.

10. GDking

GDking Member

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Korg-Pitch-Black-Pedal-Tuner?sku=210087

Well you talked to a moron if they never heard of it there is another link.

At any rate with the promises of a pedal like this from a certain manufacturer for the last year "in a couple months" it is a real product and not much of a wait regardless since the first wave is obviously over.

11. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
    I have one on order. Been told March. I want it NOW!! :mad:

12. Structo

Structo Member

Well the price certainly is attractive as well as the construction. (metal box)
    But, I can't see in the specs where it says what the accuracy is.
    Like in cents?

One place said + 1 cent but the official Korg specs don't mention that.
    Also one of the features I like about my Strobostomp is the sweet tuning mode.

13. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

I had a Peterson - the blue Strobostomp. It wasn't really TBP and did affect tone when in circuit, and I just couldn't use it! I know, lame and all that - but I couldn't get used to it. I can't imagine anyone feeling like that with the pitchblack. It's plenty accurate for me, and I think I'm pretty fussy.

BTW - Pitchblack is a good name for it. On my Pedaltrain Jnr it just about disappears! Just as well the switch is chrome or you'd miss it. Once stomped on though the display is excellent.

14. GDking

GDking Member

I would seriously doubt it is as accurate as a strobe tuner. However for live music, true bypass and reliability, size and ease of use it works for me even if it is the same accuracy as Korg's other floor pedal tuner http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=DT10&category_id=5 which was in my opinion fine if this one tunes as well, and is as rugged as that model, with true bypass and the smaller footprint I will be very happy.

I never used sweetened tunings or any of that crap I just want to tune my guitar accurately and start playing so for me that is not an issue.

I have a real old school strobe tuner for bench setups and the like.

15. jay24

jay24 Member

Can it tune bass guitars too?

16. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

I've been wondering about this as well. It seems a little strange that they list +/- 1 cent with the old DT-10 but have no accuracy spec for the new Pitchblack. I'm thinking I'll still go with the DT-10 - in black!:D

17. pedaLkrama

pedaLkrama Member

it will work well with Bass? Yes? Yes?

18. 205

205 Senior Member

^^ Yes, it's a guitar tuner, it will work on bass.

19. Shnook

Shnook Member

The info is on the more detailed specs. I found this on the Korg site.

[​IMG][​IMG] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Geneva,sans-serif]pitchblack - Chromatic Pedal Tuner[/FONT][​IMG]
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Geneva,sans-serif]Tuning:[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Geneva,sans-serif]12 note equal temperament
    Detection accuracy: +/- 1 cent
    [/FONT]

20. ben-horn

ben-horn Member

Pitchblack in the mail today.

I had to open it - the truebypass switch is done by relay which is
    better than the 3pdt switchs.
    So far i like it very much. Small,quick and simple.