1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Korg pitchblack users pls read...fussy power jack?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dirk_benedict, May 22, 2011.

1. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

Wondering if any of you Pitchblack users out there have had similar problems....

Currently have the pitchblack last in my chain,and my board is powered up by a BBE supercharger. The problem I am having is that the 9v input jack which powers the pedal seems real finicky. It works for a bit and then power cuts out, and that kills my whole signal. If I jiggle or bump the jack it usually restores everything for a period of time.

Doesnt seem to be a mechanical issue (ie. Plug's in there good)

I've also read about weird behavior where if you have a battery in it, the power jacks are defeated, so I've ensured there is no battery.

Any ideas? Just seem like a weird problem for a tuner that I got new at Chrismas.

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  2. monty

monty Member

No problem with mine, but IIRC there was a thread here a few weeks ago with people with similar problems.

3. Overdriver18

Overdriver18 Member

Have you tried it at a different place in the chain or powered differently (i.e. alone with a power supply, there is a possibility that you are merely using too much power)?

4. dirk_benedict

I had it running on a 5-end daisy chain running out of one if the supacharger outputs. The other pedals are an mxr micro chorus, phase 90, and a Marshall vibratrem with one of leads from the daisy chain going unused. I'm thinking that may have been too much for one output on the supacharger (iirc it puts out 100ma per output).

I'm going to try just running it out of one of the outputs solo and see if that solves the problem.

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  5. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Member

Send it back to Korg. They should fix you up. Sounds like the jack has a loose wire inside. Mine's been really stable but I can see this being a weak spot on the pedal.

6. dirk_benedict

You think that's more likely the culprit that the too many pedals on a single daisy chain thing?

7. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Sometimes it's the obvious stuff... make sure the unused plug on the daisy chain isn't allowed to touch anything that's grounded. If it does, it'll short out that output on the BBE. I'd tape it up to cover the whole plug end.

8. Once Far Off

Once Far Off Member

I've had no problems running mine on a 1 spot with other pedals

9. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

Try powering it by itself, either from a separate wall wart or from its own output on the BBE. It's possible you just aren't feeding it enough power.

10. tazzboy

tazzboy Supporting Member

11. dirk_benedict

Yeah, I've taped up the unused leads from the daisy chain. Don't think it's a short, but I'm going to try it on it's own cord for a will and see how that works.

If you put pedals that draw over the 100ma on the output will all the pedals fail or will just the pedals that exceed the draw fail? Or does everything on that chain not work?

12. gravy

gravy Member

i`ve had the 9v out jack on mine give up the ghost and just recently on/off switch only works for @ 10 seconds before the tuning readout goes blank and cuts from silent tuning to amp sound. currently looking for a new tuner for sure.

13. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

It depends on how much you overload it. Normally, you'll get hum and noise if you go over the limit. But I don't see that happening with those pedals - the Vibratrem is 16mA, the Phase 90 is only 3-4mA and the Pitchblack is 35mA when tuning. I don't know the current draw of the Micro Chorus, but it'd have to be way high for that type of pedal, in order to overload the supply.

Try the tuner on its own and see if the problem persists.

14. boogiejem

boogiejem Silver Supporting Member

I had a similar problem but tracked it down to the guitar input jack not the power jack. On mine the input jack was only just getting in far enough to activate the pedal and causing cut outs. I fixed it by tightening the nut on the input socket on the PB which gave me just enough extra to make a reliable connection.

Hope that helps

15. dirk_benedict

Hey guys- thanks for all the advice, I'm going to give a couple of these things a shot over the next rehearsal and gig (As an aside- for some reason it seems to only occur when I am plugged in/stomping on pedals for a while...can't seem recreate it at home just playing alone...but that may be just cause I haven't tried hard enough to).

Will report back my findings shortly...

I may just go back to my TU-2 which was on my board for the last 10 years and never failed once!!

16. binge

binge Member

No probs here when using it with a OneSpot and daisychained to other pedals. :)

17. dirk_benedict

Just closing the loop on this...played a 3 hr gig last night with the pitchblack powered by it's own lead from the BBE. Problem free! Guess that was the issue.

18. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

I have a Pitchblack on my board, with a battery in it, and I don't have any problems powering it from my PP2+. So when using external power, it shouldn't matter whether or not there's a battery installed.

19. dirk_benedict

I actually think there is some weirdness in the power circuitry that will use the battery as power whenever one is plugged in, so when the batt dies, things go weird. At least that's what I've read about it I think. Either way, my probs seem fixed.