Korg SDD-3000 pedal vs. Strymon Timeline

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mike_lawyer, Apr 2, 2015.

1. mike_lawyer

mike_lawyer Member

I had a Korg SDD-3000 rack delay unit for years, as I play a lot of U2. I loved that delay unit, but it was impractical to carry around. So I sold it a few years ago and purchased a Strymon Timeline.

Fast forward to today. I realize now that Korg has issued the SDD-3000 in pedal form, which is something that I always wanted.

I like the Timeline, but in all honesty, there is too much under the hood for my taste. I don't use 90% of the functions, and banking up and down is difficult. I am more of a "lesser is better" guy.

So my question is to all of you who have tried both the Korg SDD-3000 pedal delay and compared it to a Strymon Timeline. How does the Korg pedal sound in comparison? How also does the Korg pedal sound in comparison to the old rackmount unit? I have read some concern about the Korg pedal having a volume drop when activated versus bypass. Has anyone worked around that?

2. mike_lawyer

mike_lawyer Member

3. Vox66

Vox66 Member

Nothing compares to the old rack unit, I just had mine restored and I'll never sell it. I bought a Timeline and sold it within a few months as it just didn't have any mojo. I tried the new SDD at a guitar shop and was not impressed at all, it sounded like a weak emulation of the real deal. I'm a bit of a delay whore (Echoplex EP-2, old DMM & Flight delay) are my other tasty units so I do have a good reference points for my comments. If you are looking for an amazing sounding pedal the Flight delay is the one to have especially for U2 or Pink Floyd sounds.

4. Nystuss

Nystuss Member

I tried out the SDD-3000 at GC a few months ago. It just didn't seem very good in general. Not a lot of versatility, kind of a sterile tone. Not to mention the lack of subdivisions, which was confusing for such an advanced pedal with tap tempo.

5. mike_lawyer

mike_lawyer Member

Thanks for the info. I wish I still had my rack unit!

6. earwax

earwax Member

Vs timeline

Vs rack unit

7. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

There are subdivisions in the pedal.

You can read the manual to find out more:
    "With the DELAY TIME knob in the DELAY TIME section, select a note.
    There are 11 note settings, from a whole note (1-1) to a thirty-second note (1-32)."

8. Nystuss

Nystuss Member

Yeah, I didn't have the manual. And if I need a manual to work it, it's too complicated for my tastes anyway.

9. earwax

earwax Member

Well unfortunately for you both of these pedals require a manual.

Fullsounds and RevelBandGuitar like this.
  10. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

Sounds like you want a simple analog delay or something then.

Once you figure out how to use the basic parameters for the Timeline, it's dead easy to dial in what you're looking for. But a manual might be required for about 30 seconds.

11. starkj

starkj Member

I've had the original SDD-3000 rack unit and the Strymon Timeline, and now I have the SDD-3000 pedal. I think that I'm quite picky with sound quality, but probably not as exact as some previous poster. The old rack unit was lovely in every way; it was just too damn big and was beginning to get unreliable, so I sold it for a good price. Then I had the Strymon Timeline for a couple of years. Liked it very much, very versatile and compact. I sold it though when I got the SDD-3000 pedal.

They're a bit difficult to compare, since they're definitely not the same. It depends what you're after. I don't play that much U2, but occasionally yes, and of course then my delay pedal needs to work well with the amp I'm using - a Vox AC15HW1X. IMO, it nails the SDD-3000 sound very well. It probably isn't identical, but for my needs and according to my ear, THE sound's definitely there. If you're after versatility though, the Timeline wins hands down. The Timeline has more delay engines than the SDD-3000 pedal, and the ones in the Timeline are all better, apart from the SDD-3000 delay engine in the SDD-3000 pedal, which just sounds better than a modulated delay in the Timeline.

So like you wrote - if an Edge-type modulated delay is what you're after, I'd say that the SDD-3000 pedal does a better job than the Timeline. The volume drop has never been an issue for me, as I use it within a loop of a GigRig G2 which controls my setup.

If a good mod delay is important, but other types (analog, reverse, filter, ducking, patterns, shimmer) of delay as well, then the Timeline's a better deal IMO.

12. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

What is the price range for one of those old rack mount units these days?

13. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

You must play a one string guitar.

14. mike_lawyer

mike_lawyer Member

I sold mine for $500 a couple of years ago.

15. mike_lawyer

mike_lawyer Member

Thanks for the review, very helpful. I like the Timeline, but in all honesty, I really only use the digital delay and occasionally the analog delay engine. I'm really after that SDD-3000 sound. Just like you, I had the rack unit for about 10 years, but it was so big to take around that I sold it and bought a Timeline. The Timeline is pretty cool, but in all honesty it has almost too much stuff under the hood. I'm really just after the modulated delay sound of the SDD-3000.

16. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

I've owned both. I had the Timeline for a couple years then got the SDD. I preferred the sound of the SDD but the developers at Korg are a bunch of....well, let's just say that it wasn't very well thought out, specifically in the midi department. I use a simple Disaster Area controller to pull up programs on the fly. You CAN'T turn the SDD off via midi. I had to waste a preset to make a zero mix preset so I could turn it "off" from the controller. Also, it doesn't accept any type of external clock, not midi, not an external tap switch. So, for MY purposes, the Timeline "worked" better, though I liked the sound of the SDD better.

17. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

Man, I'm just to dull in my head or whatever, but the Timeline STILL did a great job in that vid.....and with everything else it offers in a one or two click away scenario, I just can't justify getting rid of it.

I do love hearing what else is out there though. Maybe if I was a better, player? Listener? Person?!? Then I could hate the Timeline like most others and enjoy other delay units.

Hehe. Kinda.

18. Vox66

Vox66 Member

Guys check out the Free the Tone Flight delay, I use it in conjunction wirh my SDD-3000 rack delay. But for most gigs the Flight delay is the perfect choice....... Swirly organic sounding digital delay...... It kills the Timelime and the SDD pedal.

19. mike_lawyer

mike_lawyer Member

To be honest, I was not all that impressed with the Fight Time in the head to head match up with the SDD on youtube, but maybe that is not a true reflection of the pedal.

20. coldwaternights

coldwaternights Member

Well, the Edge is using the new SDD pedal in his 2015 rig.

Pretty sure he knows that sound better than anyone.