Korina Explorer

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by stratzrus, Jun 28, 2006.

1. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Gibson Korina Explorers cost an arm an a leg, even the new ones. How can Epiphone offer them so cheaply? What is the difference?

stratzrus

2. Mrgearguy

Mrgearguy Member

China (labor cost 1/100th of the USA) +butcherblock construction+veneer. Epiphone production tops 30,000 guitars a month. That's "hand caftsmanship" on a corporate level.

Gearguy

3. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

Get a Hamer one instead!!

4. Andy_T

Andy_T Member

The Epiphone one is made from scrap chunks (small pieces at least, they may not be scrap) and then they put a veneer on the front and back. That makes for the difference.

5. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

As I suspected.

I asked because Dean is making a one-of-a-kind Korina Z for me and getting the wood has been an issue. Does anyone know a good source for instrument grade Korina that I might suggest?

Thanks, stratzrus

6. bettiefan

bettiefan Member

Have them make it out of mahogany. It's pretty heavy, but the tone is unstoppable. I built mine out of a Warmoth body and neck.

7. Spudboy

Spudboy Member

Hah. Epiphone Explorers/Flying V's don't have much Korina in them. Basically the two sheets of veneer are about it. The core wood is Indonesian mahogany.. you know.. lauan.

On top of that all the hardware is of lesser quality and the gold effect is extremely soft and it seems to fade without you even touching it.

That being said they're nice guitars that capture the look and feel, if not the tone, of the original at a fraction of the cost.

8. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

Epiphone "Korina" = crap

Gibson Korina = great, but way overpriced

Buy the Hamer! As good or better than the Gibson and 1/3 the price.

As far as the Mahogany v. Korina (heavier/lighter), that all depends on the piece of wood. The lightest Explorer guitars I've owned were Honduras Mahogany, I've played flyweight mahogany guitars (non-chambered) and heavy, brick-like Korina guitars. Korina is NOT always lighter - that's another gear urban legend!

9. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

It's not that hard to find. Gilmer Wood always has some.

10. Mrgearguy

Mrgearguy Member

Limba isn't too difficult to find if all you want is a piece big enough for one guitar. You wind up paying a premium for it in small quantities, and you pretty much have to gamble on the curing. One problem with this wood is the large percentage of internal checking and grain problems which most times can't be seen from the outside. This is why builders are reluctant to let you supply the wood too. They build the scrap factor into their prices and sort accordingly—well, at least the ones with integrity do.

Gearguy