Kossof

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Phoebe, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Phoebe

Phoebe Senior Member

I've been utubing Free lately which brings back a powerful memory.

Back in 1969 (I think it was '69) I was lucky enough to see Free open for Blind Faith at Madison Square Garden. I will never forget the ferocity and passion in Paul Kossof's playing, let alone his incredible tone and vibrato.

What a great rising star and what a loss to us all. Such a shame.

2. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

3. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

he was a huge influence on my playing. i was in a band during my high school years that covered quite a fe free tunes. i still listen to those old free records and i'm still inspired by what koss played.

4. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Free AND Blind Faith from the same seat? DAMN......

5. Phoebe

Phoebe Senior Member

With Delaney and Bonnie as the second act! Amazing show to be sure!

6. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Remarkable band - uber-talented, all, and so young.
    Amazing you got to see them!

(it's "Kossoff", btw).

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  7. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Yes, Koss was amazing, and so underrated today. He's one of my favorites. I have a great framed black and white photo of him on my wall. His playing was highly emotional, and he had the best vibrato of any guitarist around at the time. Even Clapton was amazed at the way he shook notes. Of course, Koss messed himself up with drugs that caused his death from heart failure at age 25.

I met Koss right before he died. I attended a Back Street Crawler gig in Dover, NJ, and he wasn't playing, but sitting at a table in the audience. Snuffy Walden was on guitar. I went over to Koss, got his autograph on a publicity photo, and asked him why he wasn't playing. He mumbled about being sick, and how Snuffy sounded like him anyway, and the band was really hot, etc. I stayed for one song and walked out, disappointed.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  8. Telefan

Telefan Member

To me, Koss was one of the most amazing guitarists ever, with so few notes.

9. newb3fan

newb3fan Member

10. Lotis

Lotis Silver Supporting Member

I just listened to Free in detail on headphones while hiking. Perfect. Most of it is the band playing with maybe one OD if that. Real, visceral rock and roll you don't hear the likes of much these days! Koss had the best vibrato and made every note count.

11. Phoebe

Phoebe Senior Member

Obviously different styles, but I also think of Mick Ralphs whenever I hear Kossoff. Another great, tasteful guitarist who speaks volumes with relatively few notes.

12. vmjoe

vmjoe Member

Kossoff's tone is one of my alltime favorites.

13. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Dude, that is THE show of ALL shows...
    Did Clapton take the stage with D and B?
    I till think there are only two chicks that ever were even close to being "rock", one is Christine McVie, the other is Bonnie Bramlett. I been saying for years that Bonnie Bramlett was everything Janis Joplin wanted to be.

14. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Interesting, but I find them very different.

Kossoff was wholey unique in his approach to chords, his intense vibrato, his use of the heaviest strings he could find, bass cabinets, etc.

I never found Ralphs anywhere as intense and his intonation wasn't as together as Kossoff's. Some great Bad Co. tunes (Mick was a strong writer), for sure, and Mick did some really cool stuff w/ open tunings.

Not arguing, of course. Just musing aloud. I'm a huge fan of Paul Rodger's voice, so followed all's he's done (certainly hit and miss).

15. Phoebe

Phoebe Senior Member

Obviously this was the tour where EC got cozy with D&B, but, no, he didn't take the stage with them.

For whatever some additional trivia is worth, Kossoff played a Gold Top LP w/P90's and EC played his single PU Firebird. I can't remember what kind of guitar Steve Winwood played

16. Phoebe

Phoebe Senior Member

I love Paul's voice too. Front men don't get much better. His voice has held up well through the years too which can't be said about too many rockers.

No arguement about the difference between Paul and Mick. But I do think of them both as very "economical" players who walk(ed) softly and with mighty big sticks. Despite his intensity I always felt Paul used a lot of restraint.

17. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Well said, Phoebe.
    Just amazing you got to see Free & Blind Faith - two short-lived, but iconic, groups.

18. Phoebe

Phoebe Senior Member

I was very lucky, indeed. You know, guys in my age bracket (I'm 58) are blessed because we lived through what I think is the greatest period in pop music history.

Not to brag, but think about it.... Within a very short period of time I, and many like me, was/were able see, often on multiple occasions, bands like the Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Hendrix, Beach Boys, Who, Cream, Traffic, Joplin, Tull, Canned Heat..... I could go on and on but I don't want you to be too jealous!

Peace

19. Gibson62

Gibson62 Member

Kossoff had a wicked, beautiful vibrato...intense, tasteful guitarist.

I have a tape of one of his last shows with BSC in L.A. just before he

died in March '76, he sounds and plays great during this show.

20. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

One of my favorites for sure, and a big influence on me- his vibrato is still second to none.