KoT - both sides on alternative

dagjonas

I use my KoT with both sides on. Yellow side with dip switches set to clean and red (higger gain) OD. Let's say all knobs at 12.

What’s bugging me is the space (and money) it takes up on my board. And the fact that I need a true bypass looper to turn it on and off If I don't hit both switches at the same time.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a single channeled pedal that does the «both KoT sides on»?

I don't need dual channel suggestions.

I once had an Xotic BB, maybe the BB Mid Boost could be in the ballpark?

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
Idea: Prince of Tone on a boost setting turned up a wee bit vs. where you set your KOT

The POT has more gain than the KOT.

Your could also try a Red Snapper Mk3 and work the internal gain pot to taste. It can get very chimey.

[I just traded my Red Snapper Mk3.]

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
If I understand the OP's post, he wants the "dual sound" [presumably more harmonic richness, thicker tone] in a single-stomp so he doesn't have to use a loop to turn both on and off at once.

wundergussy

Silver Supporting Member
If you can find a used one (since they aren't making more), maybe the Snouse Blackbox V2 -- also a BB platform, but with added boost and presence knobs, but still just one effect.

Maybe Rockbox Baby blues?

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Might be interesting to build a KOT clone pair into a smaller box. BYOC could conceivably help with that...

TheRealDeal

Idea: Prince of Tone on a boost setting turned up a wee bit vs. where you set your KOT

The POT has more gain than the KOT.

Your could also try a Red Snapper Mk3 and work the internal gain pot to taste. It can get very chimey.

[I just traded my Red Snapper Mk3.]

i believe the POT is the same as the high gain version of the KOT

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
super fun!

things were sounding a bit congested and i'm glad they trimmed up the internal treble but I wanted to reach into my computer and turn the external treble up a smidgen

the kot is the best of that lot. it's the way the bass slips under the notes to keep it out front and sweet sounding. I don't think anything sounded bad and some were quite/surprisingly nice but the effectiveness and presentation of the kot is formidable

jm9239

Silver Supporting Member
My suggestion: contact Mike at Analog Man, explain what you want the pedal to do, and perhaps he can mod it to activate both sides with one switch. The KOT is glorious, so I'd keep it and try to free up space by killing the looper. The KOT doesn't even take up that much space.

Leftyman

Platinum Supporting Member
I agree with the above post. I'd keep the pedal and just try and figure out a way to make it work. Who knows, in the future you might want to use the channels separately. If you want to try and turn both channels on at the same time without a looper, you might be able to mount some homemade piece that stretches over both switches you could try using velcro or whatever else you think might secure it. I'd try a small piece of sheet metal, aluminum or whatever. You should be able to find something that will work at your local hardware store if you look around. It seems it could be a pretty small piece. Not sure it would work. If you want to keep the pedal it's certainly worth trying.

BluesBUSTER

Silver Supporting Member
I found that the BB platform is great, especially the BB+ .
One side is a classic BB and the other has a 3 knobs tone control - Bass, Mid, Treble - which gives a lot of flexibility combines with the hard/soft clipping options. You can also choose the stacking order.

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
There may be some dual stage, single overdrives on the market that could possibly simulate a KOT with both sides on.

dagjonas

If I understand the OP's post, he wants the "dual sound" [presumably more harmonic richness, thicker tone] in a single-stomp so he doesn't have to use a loop to turn both on and off at once.
Correct!

Just a single pedal that does the dual sound. That's where the magic is in the KoT for me.

The KoT size itself is not that big, but it's a lot of money in a pedal (bought used) and I'm not happy with hitting both switches at the same time. That combined makes me consider finding another pedal.

DryBones

If all the other sugestions fails, maybe try two Mooer blues Crabs next to each other. If they are put as close as can be, they would be easy to stomp on with joust one foot.

halcyon

Silver Supporting Member
Fwiw, I flip mine sideways. It doesn't take up quite as much room that way if it's [necessarily] next to a pedal with side jacks. This is a Pedaltrain Junior...

(I could move the chorus pedal even closer if I wanted to, but no need.)

dagjonas

Pulling this up again, the question is: single channel pedal that does the KoT dual sound, or in the ballpark. Anyone?

Trending Topics