1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

KOT users

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ES330, Sep 14, 2005.

1. ES330

ES330 Supporting Member

there is a 4-knob and 5-knob version.

which should I get ??

2. bobotwt

bobotwt Supporting Member

I'm leaning towards the 5-knober. Although, I hope you're already on the list. I've been on the list for over a year, and I was told by Mike a month or so ago that they are not any farther than when I got on. I'm beginning to wonder if he is the one hyping the pedal by keeping production slow. It is supposed to sound great, but I've really forgotten about it.

Josh

3. basscracker

basscracker Guest

i have only seen a five knob KOT on mikes board,you sure you get to pick?and like bobotwt i have been on the list for almost a year:eek: :( how long were you on it?for some reason i'm thinking he is not making these for anyone right now:confused: .

4. Franklin

Franklin Member

A buddy of mine just got the 5 knob. It has a gain knob for each channel where the 4 knob does not. I can tell you that he was on the list for a very long time too, but he thinks it was worth the wait.

I have not heard from him in a while though, think I'll check with him now that the "honeymoon" period is over. He must have gone through dozens of OD pedals and no matter how much he likes a pedal, he goes back to his Fulldrive2 or Fish Factory. I'm sure he has done a half dozen gigs since he got the KOT, so he should have a definative answer by now!

I loved the pedal. Very transparent with light OD or maxed out on the gain. Very little compression.

5. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

I've never heard the pedal or seen one but I have no desire to. I think this is a joke that analogman is telling people to wait for over a year for a pedal. How many people could possibly be on the waiting list, certainly no more than 5,000. From what I've read he quit making the pedal for about a year but kept taking orders. I've been planning on sending him my ts9 for the silver mod but just hearing about the wait on this pedal turns me off. I think it's unprofessional and it doen't make sense. If you run a company and there is a high demand for one of your products you produce that product as much as you can. Some people might get excited because they think the pedal must be really good if there is such a long wait, but I'm just the opposite I think it's insane and it seems like there just trying to hype this pedal. Either way it's obvious that analogman doesn't want people to have this pedal and therefore; I have no desire for it. :dude

6. bobotwt

bobotwt Supporting Member

Exactly my point. I was very excited about the pedal. When I got on the list in August 2004, Mike told me it would be 2 months. Here it is 13 months later and no word. And when I have inquired about it, I am given vague emails about being backed up. Now, if you have a product that is suposedly as great as this is, do you put it on the backburner? I would still like to try one, but I am wondering if they are the ones building the hype.

Josh

7. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

Everything I have heard about Analogman has been good but this has to be a bigger negative on his company than a positive. It makes me wonder if someone else makes the pedal for him and he can't get them to make enough. I know it's a small operation but instead of having one guy assigned to work on these pedals maybe you could have two guys work on them.

Wait a minute I have an incredible idea if 3 guys work on them than instead of a year it would be down to 4 months. Wow math really does pay off. You would think that technical genius's like the one's working for analogman would be able to figure out such a simple equation.

8. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Yeah I'm on the list also, and have been for a long time.. I don't really plan on getting this pedal ever, it's a big Joke..

9. cmloeffler

cmloeffler Member

I can assure you that the KOT is as good as everyone says. To claim that Mike is trying to build hype is ridiculous... he isn't pushing them on any sites, he doesn't gain anything by the used prices being really high... in fact, if he were truely just in it for the money, why not raise the price to $279 like all these BJFE pedals? He'd still sell more than he could make and he'd pocket an extra $80. The difference is that Mike believes that if a pedal is worth a certain amount, that's what he should charge. I admire a guy who says "I could get $350 for these pedals right now, but that isn't really fair to the consumer as I know what the actual value of these is". The only other person I've seen do that is Clay Jones, with his generous "No OD is worth $500, period... pay me $250 and give the other $250 to charity if you need it that bad".

As to the four knob versus five knob versions, I have an original four knob from the first run... it had a shared gain knob for the two channels. Mike stopped production because he wanted to design something that made everyone happy, and a lot of people wanted seperate gain controls. He made some with seperate gain controls, but chose not to continue production on a large scale until he addressed a *slight* pop when you have one channels gain maxed and the other all the way down. My dad has the new model, and I can tell you that the pop is barely there, and even more importantly most people would be using some gain on tap on both channels. In his words "I won't release something unless I can 100% stand behind it as the best it can be". So he's back at the drwaing board right now trying to fix a problem that most boutique vendors could care less about because he's that committed apparently.

I don't work for Mike, and I don't even own other AM pedals, but he is a hell of a nice guy and the KOT is indeed amazing, even when put up against the best around.

10. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

I'm sure Mike is a great guy and I'm positive his products are top notch. I just think it's ridiculous that the wait for the KOT is over a year.

11. prsbirdguy

prsbirdguy Guest

It's a ripoff, he must have $100,000 collecting interest from you guys! I would remand a refund.

12. basscracker

basscracker Guest

you don't pay until you come up on the list.

13. prsbirdguy

prsbirdguy Guest

Oh, no problem then, nevermind!!! :D

14. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Member

Mike has never been anything but helpful to me, and all of his pedals that I've tried have been stellar, the KOT included. I had an original 4 knobber, and it sounded wonderful.

All that being said... the waiting list is insane. No pedal is worth that kind of wait.

There are plenty of other very small (one-man) pedal mfgr's with pedals that are just as cool who are managing to meet demand without crazy waiting lists.

If the problem is the pedal has bugs and isn't in production right now, then two things come to mind:
    1) Not taking orders until the thing is in production would be much petter from a PR standpoint.
    2) There are a whole lot of "buggy" KOT's going for a whole lot of money on Ebay.

A

15. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Comstock Station

Well said cmloeffler!

Just to reiterate and expand on some of the previous posts.

I am one of the few with a 5 knob KOT (Ver3) and it sounds wonderful. The two drive and volume knobs are certainly a welcomed addition.

*First of all, like it was mentioned above, you don't pay until yours is ready to ship. There is no obligation or prepayment.

*There are no "bugs" with the standard four knobbers.

*Mike has not made many in the last year while trying to
    fix the pop, but now he has a new version Ver4 and it will
    be out later this year without the popping and some new features. I don't mind the popping much, plus I pretty much dime both gain knobs anyway. Also, I have no clue as to what the new features will be either. Until he is 100% satisfied and it meets his criteria, it will not be in production, until it's right, simple as that.

Mike is one of the best out there IMO, he is a straight up guy with no attitude. He goes the extra mile for his customers and he aims to please.

My 2 pennies.

16. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

Three questions that inquiring minds would like to know...

1) How log ago did you order? (I'm waiting since Aug 2004)
    2) Anyone have a photo of the 5 knob model? (what is the 5th knob for)
    3) How much do they cost these days?

Any info would be most appreciated, thanks!

:BOUNCE

17. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Comstock Station

I was on the list since April 2004 and I got mine like about a month ago or so....I had a choice to wait or take it with the pop. Fifth knob is an additional "drive" knob. (Two drives - two volumes & tone).

I don't have a photo...sorry.

$225.00

18. Craise

Craise Member

Very simple guy's....Buy a Tim Overdrive. I've compared the KOT and the TIM side by side and they are very very close.
    I prefered the TIM because of the better EQ, and two gain knobs. Also you might try the Lovepeadal ETERNITY.... But I still think the Tim has the best EQ. All three of these pedals sound very much the same IMHO. Also the TIM is only
    $160 !!!
    :dude

19. basscracker

basscracker Guest

"Do to complaints on the wait from the kidz on some forums, we won't be adding any more names to the waiting list this year. We are still backed up to April 2004. Will open the list again when we get the new version in full production. Please don't ask about the new version as we don't give out info until they are ready to ship, then the info will be on the website".

http://www.analogman.com/kingtone.htm

:rolleyes:

20. royd

royd Member

I'm on the list since august '04 also... after about 6 months I decided to more or less forget about the pedal and will be pleasantly surprised when I get an e-mail that I'm at the top of the list.