KOT v.4 most similar to (see list)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rock72, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Rock72

Rock72 Member

I've been GASsing for a King of Tone V4 lately, and in the process trying to be realistic about it. For those of you who've gone through bunches of pedals, does it resemble or overlap a lot with anyone listed below:

Tim
    Menatone King of the Britains
    Skreddy Screwdriver
    Eternity Burst
    BJF Honey Bee.

Also, how is the distortion side of the KOT?

Thanks,
    Christian

2. giggedy

giggedy Member

I like the distortion side, although I would liken it to a heavier overdrive. I know it is different from the Tim. Tim is more transparent, but KOT is more amp-like, if that makes sense. I can't really describe it, but it feels like the KOT is more of a part of the natural guitar sound, emphasizing the good tone, while the Tim has an amazing eq that you can custom tailor or have as flat as can be. The KOT overdrive sounds more natural to me as well. They play great together btw. As far as the other pedals listed, I've only heard clips.

3. rongtr

rongtr Member

I agree- it sounds like a turned up amp, but controllable. You can turn down your volume control and clean it up for rhythm as well.

4. thisfire

thisfire Supporting Member

I've owned all of those but the Screwdriver, and the KoT and the Burst E are the only ones left on my board, haha. Honestly, the King of Tone doesn't sound like any of those pedals...if anything, it sounds most like a very open/uncompressed TS-9 with a bit less gain. It's great cause you can use it almost like a clean boost or you can crank the gain and get some pretty nice singing lead tones.

It's much tighter than the Tim (with low gain, the Tim always sounded a bit "loose" to me), although you lose more low end. I think the Tim had a bit more gain on tap, but it was a different kind of gain...when the KoT gets loud, it feels like an open tube screamer; when the Tim got loud, it felt like more of a fuzz TS/distortion. The KoT is not nearly as "Marshally" as the KotB, and has nowhere near as much gain. Both the KotB and KoT are very amp-like, but the KoT is a more trebly, tighter sound...not compressed though! The Burst E also has much more gain, and is more compressed (and a cooler paint job IMHO :) ). The Honey Bee, to my ears, sounded TOO amp-like. It has an extremely sweet tone, but I feared that it would get lost in the mix too easily. If you're looking for a pedal that sounds like a roaring, creamy 5W amp, go for the HB.

Like I said, the KoT and Burst E are the only ones left on my board, but honestly I would be happy with any of them. If I had to choose only one? KoT, hands down.

5. playon

playon Supporting Member

Circuit-wise the KOT is a descendant of the Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal. Nothing else is really going to sound like the KOT. It's the best blend-with-the-amp light overdrive I've ever experienced. I never use mine for higher-gain sounds.

6. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Thanks for this info, very much appreciated :AOK. Didn't reduce my GAS though :rolleyes: