• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

KOT vs Morning Glory

PANDAPANDELO

I just love the breakup sound I can get with the Morning Glory. That clean sound, with a hair. It makes my Strat pickups shine!

I've heard that the KOT and the MG are both based in the BB circuit.

I've noticed, too, that the KOT are muddy compared with the MG. But I wonder how does the KOT compares to the MG sound, when the internal options are changed.

Can the KOT achieve the MG tone?

coltonius

Señor Member
I just love the breakup sound I can get with the Morning Glory. That clean sound, with a hair. It makes my Strat pickups shine!

I've heard that the KOT and the MG are both based in the BB circuit.

I've noticed, too, that the KOT are muddy compared with the MG. But I wonder how does the KOT compares to the MG sound, when the internal options are changed.

Can the KOT achieve the MG tone?
If you find the KoT muddy, I recommend investigating the Treble trimmer on the inside.. I've heard from many that this makes the pedal; I will find out for myself in 2-3 days! :banana

Jet Age Eric

If you find the KoT muddy, I recommend investigating the Treble trimmer on the inside.. I've heard from many that this makes the pedal; I will find out for myself in 2-3 days! :banana
Yeah, use the internal trim pot for treble, then adjust bass via the external tone control. PITA, but worth it.

Another great pedal based on the Blues Breaker is the Rockbox Baby Blues. It's more open and transparent than the KOT, and the dirt actually sounds like a BB amp, so it's actually fairly different from the KOT, which has a softer drive character and is "warmer."

As far as those clips go, I think you'd get a more open sound if you set the KOT to boost instead of OD, which is a murkier and more compressed setting. -E

mysterious1s

I owned the MG and POT. I found the POT a bit muddy and sold it. The MG is one of my all time favorite ODs with my Strats!

MilwMark

I own a KOT and owned an MG in the past. I had the opposite problem. I ended up return the MG because I found it had too much treble. I can see how the MG would work great with a darker sounding amp though.
I thought I was the only one with those ears. I actually asked Mike if the treble trim pot could be used to REDUCE available treble. I can't imagine wanting MORE treble from the pedal. And the the MG was icepick all the way for me too.

Hairpin Turns

I ended up return the MG because I found it had too much treble. I can see how the MG would work great with a darker sounding amp though.
I concur re. treble on the MG. I haven't ever tried the KOT (would love to at some point), but I have owned the MG for years, it's probably my favorite OD but it is bright and it isn't the right choice for all applications. You can reduce the treble somewhat with the bright cut toggle and the tone knob, but it's still a brighter sounding pedal.

I also love the way the MG sounds with Strats in particular.

Geetar_Will

Silver Supporting Member
Had both a for a long time. Most recently I ended a number of years with the MG and went back to the KOT. They do overlap EQ wise but the overdrive feels a bit different. The KOT feels just a bit more compressed, yet it has the other modes - one of which is less compressed. It seems to be more of a voicing choice. The MG feels more open, but slightly more artificial in the higher drive range. Try it for yourself! Trust your ears, not mine!

slap_back05

I had a Morning Glory that I really liked when my name came up on the KoT list. Got them together, and after adjusting the internal trimmer, my yellow side is now essentially a MG that is just a touch smoother, which for me was a great thing. The red side is a bonus for me when I want something thicker.

I'd like to compare the red side with one of those "custom" Morning Glory sides of the State Line to see if they are similar.

Orbis_Ignis

One is made by a stand up guy that knows tone. The other, well I'll just keep my mouth shut, but I'd never own one of his pedals no matter how good it may sound, especially since I could probably get the original cheaper, lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

jhspedals.com

Vendor
One is made by a stand up guy that knows tone. The other, well I'll just keep my mouth shut, but I'd never own one of his pedals no matter how good it may sound, especially since I could probably get the original cheaper, lol

Sorry you feel that way but please don't make comments that target me like that. Im super proud of that design and thousands of people feel the same way so please get your facts straight before you say careless things like this. Before you believe everything you read maybe look for yourself and do the appropriate research. Have a great day, I hope you try a Morning Glory someday.

As for the original post I would say that the KOT is further from the original BB IMHO. It is definitely darker to my ears but its a great tone. The MG has more presence up high to me pretty much on all settings. You could easily have both on one board, I see that quite a bit.

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
The MG is seriously one of the best ODs I've ever tried for that particular sound. I like it because I'm more of a roots/rockabilly/country player and MG sounds very natural and doesn't feel or sound mushy. It retains the attack, girth and "hardness" of your tone, and I mean that in the best way. It's by no means limited to the style I play, but I found its atributes to be perfect for me. The KOT I owned was also great, but not quite the same, but it was first and it is its own thing.

Orbis_Ignis

Sorry you feel that way but please don't make comments that target me like that. Im super proud of that design and thousands of people feel the same way so please get your facts straight before you say careless things like this. Before you believe everything you read maybe look for yourself and do the appropriate research. Have a great day, I hope you try a Morning Glory someday.

As for the original post I would say that the KOT is further from the original BB IMHO. It is definitely darker to my ears but its a great tone. The MG has more presence up high to me pretty much on all settings. You could easily have both on one board, I see that quite a bit.
I didn't say anything about you. I just said I could get the original cheaper

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000WS438?pc_redir=1411857046&robot_redir=1

Or I could pay little more and get the real original

https://reverb.com/item/272263-orig...IIdpzjE0i_MqJklfY3aC-ofpn9FDRMJO-AhoClDvw_wcB

Chill_Billy

Don't think its fair to make unsubstantiated insinuations about Josh's character. He seems to have worked hard to build up his business and produce top quality pedals. We just sit online and bitch.
Back on track: I love the MG but it is gear set-up specific. I find through a Fender amp it sounds , well, glorious, but the other day I was stuck using a cheapo amp and I wanted to throw myself out the window. Really would like to pick up at least a POT and compare for myself.

Orbis_Ignis

Don't think its fair to make unsubstantiated insinuations about Josh's character. He seems to have worked hard to build up his business and produce top quality pedals. We just sit online and bitch.
Back on track: I love the MG but it is gear set-up specific. I find through a Fender amp it sounds , well, glorious, but the other day I was stuck using a cheapo amp and I wanted to throw myself out the window. Really would like to pick up at least a POT and compare for myself.
I didn't say anything about Josh, but you may want to do a little research.

jhspedals.com

Vendor
I didn't say anything about Josh, but you may want to do a little research.

I encourage your research as well. Be aware that to do research you might need to go beyond "forumn truth" and actually play, compare and do so from a point of real knowledge and not repeating what you read. We all know how that goes.

zosozep7

Platinum Supporting Member
This is an unfair thread. Both these pedals are awesome, both are built by awesome builders. I own both and will probably never part with them. Can't go wrong with either one! Buy em both!

Orbis_Ignis

I encourage your research as well. Be aware that to do research you might need to go beyond "forumn truth" and actually play, compare and do so from a point of real knowledge and not repeating what you read. We all know how that goes.
No hearsay. Just simple schematics. You don't have to be a genius to figure this stuff out

Top Bottom