KOT vs POT - my thoughts, and yours?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by eternally found, Feb 5, 2015.

1. eternally found

eternally found Supporting Member

They're both exceptional pedals! I'm just curious what others results have been, in a mix with the two. I'm such a fan of how warm the KOT is, but borrowed a buddy's POT for rehearsal tonight and I feel like it cut through the mix just a bit better. Will I miss the KOT's sweet low-mid warm goodness if I dump it for a KOT?

I also felt like the POT had a bit more bite or edge to it which I really liked! A hair less compression as well. However the KOT sounded a bit more "forward" or present (which is probably its low mid thing going on).

They're super close, but there are in fact subtle differences, even in a mix.

What are your thoughts/results? Which one did you keep?

2. Less=more

Less=more Member

I did two videos comparing these two on my YouTube channel a long time ago. If you search you can find them.

3. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

The differences you noticed could be attributed to the internal treble trim pot and the mid shift and turbo dip switches.
    They are the same pedals.

4. coltonius

coltonius SeƱor Member Silver Supporting Member

They are the same but different. Analog Mike goes into detail on his site, but the PoT's Distortion mode is a bit more developed than the KoT's; the PoT's internal DIP switches are also slightly different, as mentioned above (Turbo Mode, etc...).

I agree, though. I'd want to know where the internal Presence trimmer was set on each one before making any further assessments.

5. eternally found

eternally found Supporting Member

Curtis- thanks for the heads up! I actually have both in my possession, I just need to spend a bit more time with them :)

Theo- I'll give the trim pot a turn on the POT, but to my knowledge, both are completely stock. My KOT is low gain both sides, I hear the POT is the high gain version. That could play a part. Could also very well be the slight variance in components. Regardless, I do hear a difference between the two. It's not much, but it's there!

6. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Member

^^^ this...the POT is the high gain KOT