KOTv4 vs. Tim

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by trumpus, Jan 20, 2008.

1. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Hey,

Sorry if this has been hashed out already (but Tim is too short for the search).

I just received my second Tim - in between selling my first over the summer and picking this one up (a custom job with external toggles for clipping options), I picked up a KOTv4.

For those that have had both - what do you think of the similarities and differences. Obviously, the Tim is a single pedal with a boost and the KOT is really 2 independant circuits, but in terms of tone and the types of low-gain sounds they can produce - are they pretty similar? If you are using both, how are you using each?

Brian

2. zion

zion Member

I got a Tim a few days before I got the KOT so I played with both for a bit. The KOT sent Tim packing rather quickly. The voicing of the KOT sounded better with my rig. I couldn't get pass the oddball size of the Tim box. I liked the EQ possibilites of the Tim better, but overall the KOT beat it out. But now I'm selling the KOT due to my other pedals covering similar ground. I never flipped the dip switches on either, so there is definitely more to these pedals than I give you here!

3. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

first of all, you OWN both!!! you can find out using your ears...
    also no two pedals (being the same model) sound the same so yours are your best reference.
    peace

4. 12StringStrat

12StringStrat Member

I would beg to differ. I've now owned three KOT's (a v2 and two v4's). Setting all the knobs the same on each sounds exactly the same. AM makes consistent pedals with the best parts.

However, in general your statement is true. I just spent hours A/B two (supposedly) same Dr. Z Maz Jr's and they sounded completely different.

5. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

I find the KOT to be the smooooothest overdrive ever. It loves my strat plugged into a drri or a blues junior.

So does the Tim/TImmy, except that the timmy is 'grainer', which I like for a lot of things. The KOT has more of a bass roll-off, the TImmy is excellent in the EQ dept. It can be dialed in for dead-flat clean boost. The KOT has an excellent clean boost, but cannot be made flat on its own. This, however, is excellent for cutting through a live mix. The KOT followed by the Timmy is the absolute shyte. Nothing better for low to med and even approaching high gain.

I've also made use of the 'distortion' dipswitches on the KOT. VERY cool. I currently have one of the first KOTs made, and my number for the v4 is up soon. . . .I remember thinking, "you know what I'd do differently on this thing?". . . and then came v4. . . two totally separate pedals . . . separate drive and tone AND a cascading option. . . . at $235, it is a total f*cking steal. Pair it with a 105 dollar Timmy and your <$150 dollar high gain pedal of choice (mine is a modded rat), and I don't think you'd ever need another dirt pedal as long as you'd live.. . . yeah, that's 500 bucks. . . but. . . a LOT of people have spent that on only two pedals. . . not the FOUR you'd get in this scenario. . .

Good luck. I've been there. . . glad I'm done. . .

6. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

A few things...

Another option for using the "search" is going through the "Search Forums using Google option" in the search tab. Life saver for me!

You have both pedals!?! Why not just soot'em out for yourself!

Those 2 pedals are very different as far as voicing goes. I've had 2 TIMs and I currently have KOTv.4 with 1 TIM remaining. The KOT by far is the best sounding and most versitile OD/Boost pedal out. I use to really dig my TIM and just recently I haven't beem steping on it as much as I used too...