KPA - ready for prime time?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Gasp100, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Ok, still really trying to dig into this thing and of course I'm reading as much as I possibly can. I have to be honest, reading about some of the bug reports (as recent as yesterday) concerning the entire system taking a dump and having to figure out secret key configurations, then reformating and reimporting all your stuff seems how shall we say... scarey?
    I know it has only happened to a few users, but there are not THAT many KPA's out in the field yet.
    So, is it safe to buy one of these yet?
    I'm not trying to start ANY wars with ANY one and I could care less about any comparisons. I'm asking the guys that own them if they feel completely confident in the latest version of the firmware.
    $1850 is a lot of coin. If I have to sit on the sidelines for a while until stability is no longer questioned I will, no problems here.
    Is the KPA as it's shipping right now (or very soon) running on what would be considered BETA code?

http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=3211&pageNo=2

2. mdme_sadie

mdme_sadie Member

Dunno where you are in the world, but the fact that it's not even out in the US yet may be a factor in your purchasing decision.

From what I've read it's definitely still a "beta" product, things like the lack of SPDIF (even though the port is there) and the various bugs are a testament to that. However it's clear that at least for within the studio environment it's capable and people are making music with it right now. So it's down to your tolerance level of being a paying public beta tester (which happens quite commonly these days with software and even games on initial release), and which features you need. e.g. For me given the chance I'd be willing to be an 'early adopter" because I no longer gig, and I don't record professionally and quite simply put I like what I've heard and provided there are solutions to the crash issues then the issues appear more minor. But if you were a gigging guitarist, or you were in a studio and intended to use the KPA day in day out with high profile clients then I'd be seriously questioning the stability of it's beta firmware as things stand (but I still may want to get it anyway and just let the firmware improve to the point that it's stable, which I'd imagine would be pretty quick based on the Virus synth).

3. Gasp100

Yes, I am in a similar situation as you (rarely play out, record for myself) BUT the KPA will be an important part of my playing experience and I want it to work well out of the box. It was just strange seeing a number of guys who are early adopters and BIG proponents of the KPA have this issue. If I connect the dots (via clips/posts/pics) one of the guys might be the one prepping to sell profiles online...
    I'm actually glad that I am in the US with the delay because I am hoping most of the issues get flushed out. But hearing about pretty major crashes in a highly touted system that is being presented at NAMM (again, a year later) as we speak has me a little gun shy. I mean, if I had to send it back to Sweetwater and they had to send it back to Germany after waiting so long to get the initial unit... Well, that would suck.

4. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

just have to say i totally love watching your gear go round, greg. . . .four years strong. you should have your own channel. rock on brother. we need another summit sometime. . . .

5. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

Maybe I'm lucky, already 2 gigs with the KPA and no probs. Is it still beta? Yes. Is it worth to take the plunge? You are the only one that can decide. I have and am not looking back, never been happier with anything (including tube stuff) before.
    Ok, I'll admit it: the honeymoon is not over, but maybe it doesn't have to fall in boredom like always before...

6. sheguitarplayer

sheguitarplayer Member

Im 3 gigs down now after this weekend.
    Never been happier.
    I have to admit though my setup is fairly simple.
    Using a boss 2 way footswitch to scroll up/down through 3 main presets (clean/rhtythm/lead) and a few song only presets.
    Im finding this a nice natural way to play, using the guitar volume pot a lot, which is how I usually play with an amp.

7. Gasp100

Yep, back at it again after a long hiatus. I will be scheduling our Summit the day after I get the KPA (no joke). Still have the Alessandro? That and Joe's Heritage Victory will be profiled for sure:)

8. jerryratpack

jerryratpack Gold Supporting Member

Did you get a firm delivery date ?

9. Gasp100

No.. supposedly 1/27 and 2/7 at Sweetwater... and they have been pushing it back over several months at this point.

10. Professor Tweed

Professor Tweed Member

I've had it nearly three weeks now. It froze on me three times in the first two days when I was adjusting the deep editing amp settings. That was on a very early firmware. After I updated to a newer firmware it froze once when I was scrolling through presets. I am now on the latest firmware and so far it hasn't misbehaved. Some users report problems with the monitor out which may be a hardware fault. Yes, this is still beta, just like microsoft products, but I am glad I've had the chance to get one.

Initially I found a bit of harshness in the sound but adjusting the input sensitivity fixed that. Yesterday I managed to profile a clean sound on my 1958 Deluxe and when I played it back over my monitors (Celestion Ditton 33s) it really sounded (and felt) like playing my amp in the room. I've had great fun isolating the cab profile and then using it with the other amp profiles. There have been a lot of great profiles coming out covering all types of amp. Most of my favourites are the user ones. There is also a guy called Armin who's selling excellent profiles of his 1957 Deluxe - a prototype RedWirez business model.

So, yes, I would advise you take the plunge.

I am somewhat surprised at the delays in selling in the US. When that happens I expect a further deluge of great profiles. One problem is that one may be overwhelmed for choice. Some sort of editor/librarian is needed to manage profiles now and a fortiori in the future.

One final thought. Given that there are some great cab profiles, axe fx owners need to find a KPA owner and use their impulse generator to clone the kemper's cab profiles as impulses.