KR Gypsy and "the" fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jzucker, Sep 27, 2008.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Just wanted to get your thoughts on these. Please no sniping and agendas. I'm interested in real impressions from folks who have played them.

What are they going for used? Their's a used gypsy fuzz on ebay for $289. Is that the going rate for them?

2. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

I have a Gypsy Fuzz and absolutely adore it. No other fuzz I've played sounds as good to me as it does. I traded my handpainted Fuzz Factory for it, and I haven't regretted it for a second. The Fuzz Factory is a great pedal, but for how I play and what I want out of my fuzz, the Gypsy is perfect. Granted, it sounds unimpressive through my DeVille 2x12 unless I stack it with a drive pedal, but I'm pretty sure that can be said for most fuzzes. Through a Marshall circuit, again like with most fuzzes, it sounds fantastic. The price being what you saw it for is mostly likely to do with the waiting list to have one made; I'm not sure if you could wait it out and find one cheaper. If you don't want to pay that, I'd say the waiting list isn't THAT bad, but I don't know...I'm often wrong about such things lol.

I highly recommend the Gypsy to anyone thinking about buying it. There's a very good demo of it on youtube through a Marshall Vintage Modern combo. Hold on and I'll look for it and post it on here :banana.

3. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQaMN99xfZ8

I think that's a very good representation of it. There's a video in the related links section for The Fuzz. I've not played with it personally, but for how true to how his demo of the Gypsy is to what I hear in my set up, I'd say his demo of The Fuzz is an equally good representation.

Forgot to also mention that it cleans up very well with the guitar's volume knob.

4. wahwah

wahwah Member

I just received my KR Gypsy Fuzz and KR Megavibe last week. I think Kevin Randall has the best ears for the Hendrix/Trower tones of any pedal builder out there that I've heard. Here's a quick demo of the two that I put together, a section of Trower's "Bridge of Sighs." This is going into a 'Fenderish' 6L6 amp, with a Jetter Gain Stage Purple in between to add a Marshallesque flavor. The Jetter is only just on the brink of overdrive, the rest is the Gypsy Fuzz. This was recorded at bedroom levels, it only gets better with volume.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6916207

Cheers.................................... wahwah

5. Rhythmeen

Rhythmeen Member

WAIT? Just curious wahwah, if you don't mind, how long was 'the WAIT?' I have both of these on order as well......THX

6. jzucker

WOW! I hate you so much. Playing and tones are great and I'm jealous cuz I want a gypsy or "the fuzz". I'd be interested in hearing it without the jetter...

7. jzucker

Thanks for those links. I guess i'll start looking for a used one. I had a line on a used gypsy fuzz from the guy I bought my megavibe from. Maybe the guy still has it.

8. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

Hey guys,, that Gypsy Fuzz sounds incredible. Can you guys tell me if it will work with a One Spot adapter? Thanks.

9. Rhythmeen

Rhythmeen Member

THANKS........BTW, your clip...tone and playing, sound great! ETA for my 'turn' sounds like around Thanksgiving..............I had considered other options, glad I've stuck it out thus far........your post should get me thru the next 2 months..LOL

10. reddog112

reddog112 Member

Ditto what the other said.....I waited 6 months for the Mega and the Gypsy Fuzz and they are the most musical pedals I have. Kevin's stuff is worth the wait ...believe me

11. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I had a gypsy fuzz for about a week. I sold for for $200 here about 2 months ago. The finish was worn a bit. From what I remember I liked it but I was experimenting with fuzzes and wanted to try some different things out. You can get them new for $159+ shipping and the wait shows about 3 months. He'll if I'd pay $289 for one on the used market. I've got a Lola fuzz now and prefer it to the Gypsy though I know they are modeled after different originals.

12. jzucker

any clips of the lola?

13. wahwah

wahwah Member

It's past midnight here in Australia, so I can't do a clip right now, but I'll put something together with just the Gypsy Fuzz tomorrow. It's beautiful on its own, like a hybrid between overdrive and fuzz. I've had an NKT 275 Sunface for a few years, and as beautiful a pedal as it is, it's not as much fun as this Gypsy Fuzz. It's also a perfect match for the Megavibe. Kevin Randall has got something really special in his builds, especially for those of us who want some Hendrix/Trower in our lives, without getting arrested. To recto-robbie, the Gypsy is a standard 9v centre negative power input. To Rhythmeen, you're welcome, and yes sir, @ around $160, it is well worth the wait!

Cheers..................................... wahwah (Geoff, to you guys.)

14. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

Yup, that's what I use for it, in the daisy chain with my other pedals. :D

15. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

I want "The Fuzz."