KR gypsy fuzz clone/replacement?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by glogulus, Feb 5, 2012.

1. glogulus

glogulus Supporting Member

I tried the search function and got 8 pages of hits, but nothing that was easily found.

I'm looking for a clone or a replacement of my gypsy fuzz. I love the way this fuzz sounds, and I have had the hot silicon fuzz, CC2 fuzz (normal and higain card), and a proanalog mkIII. None of these pedals sounds like my gypsy fuzz. I've also been looking at the other various fuzzes, on youtube, that people have mentioned: jh1, rm axis, and the sunface. Those don't have the same type of sound either.

Any other gypsy fuzz owners find a suitable replacement or backup?

2. brain21

brain21 Member

Bump. I'd be interested too. I have a backup/replacement for my KR The Fuzz (Hartman Silicon Fuzz), but would like to know if anyone makes something closer to the Gypsy

3. Improviser

Improviser Member

Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz

I have both the KR Gypsy Fuzz and the RM Axis Fuzz, and probably slightly prefer the Axis Fuzz tonewise. That is, once you get over the awkward enclosure (large, poor cable access) and no LED.

4. 100JH

100JH Member

I use the RM Axis (Si) and the Fuzz Phrase (Ge). Love em both. Never had a Gypsy so I can't compare, but I am quite happy with my tone.

5. glogulus

Hmmm I may have to order/look for am rm axis to check out. But as I was emailing dave about a return on the hsf he told me about this:

So I went ahead and ordered one. I really liked the way it sounds in the video, but its hard to tell. I have high hopes though.

6. windjamma

windjamma Member

may be the new eric johnson fuzz when it comes out

7. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

i have two gypsy fuzz :mmm

roger mayer axis was the closest . . . . they also have almost identical parts count. prefer the gypsy though. . . . might get rid of #2 in the selloff of feb 2012 though. . . . . too many things hanging around. . . .

8. glogulus

Let me know if you decide to let go the the gypsy fuzz :). First in line!

9. amphead777

amphead777 Member

Nothing sounds like my Gypsy. I've tried almost everything that gets mentioned on here (questionable idea !). The Gypsy Fuzz shines above.

10. corn husk bag

corn husk bag Silver Supporting Member

Yep great fuzz!

Steve

11. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Steve is right.
    I don't recall why I sold , mine, but it must have been for a rough financial reason!