KR Megavibe ( univibe clone )

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mr. Green, May 22, 2006.

1. Mr. Green

Mr. Green Member

I'm looking for the ultimate Vibe pedal...
    I was listening to the sound samples of this one by KR musical products.. and it seems like he kick major ass...
    is he really that good ?
    is it good with clean guitar sound too ?

2. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

It's a matter of taste and what else you have going on in your rig. If you want more phasiness and depth of effect, go with the Mojo Vibe. If you want more 'Bridge of Sighs' throbbiness, go with the Mega Vibe. I chose the Mega because to my ears it has more of the vintage vibe - pun intended.

3. Mr. Green

Mr. Green Member

you mean that the Mega Vibe don't have depth ?

this is My rig:

[​IMG]

4. EXP

EXP Member

Hendrix! im looking at univibes myself, at the Dallas Guitar Show me and some friends A/B'd a original 1969 Univox univibe with a Lovepedal vibe. they were close, the Lovepedal had more wobble. the KR Mega Vibe sounds dead-on Jimi at Woodstock, very chewy. i was watching a Doyle Bramhall II concert and i think he uses a Fulltone Deja Vibe, it sounded good too. darker than the others i think. lots of great choices, different tones with each.

5. exodus

exodus Member

the KR mega is that good.

6. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I'm interested in the KR Doubler (listen to that first clip of this one!). Your site is cool mr green, I like the playing.

I definitely want a vibe pedal, but I am waiting for a Red Witch Deluxe Moon Phaser. I also want a phaser and tremolo, we'll see how I like this pallete of them in one stereo pedal (plus the stereo is part of my setup design). Anyway, people have said that it's very natural sounding and high quality- when you mix phaser and tremolo, that's uni-vibe. This isn't the same design as the original, but the clip of "tremovibe" on the site sounded like it'd be great for pink floyd and that was only one possible sound setting, so I'm optimistic about getting hendrixian with it. I think it will be fun, I'll post my impressions of it after it (finally) arrives.

What do you think of that first Doubler octavia clip? Man, that's pretty much what I'm looking for (the POG sounds great and tracks well, but it gets very synthy sounding if you bend notes or use vibrato, which is cool, but I usually use it for organ sounds, which there is no vibrato or bending on an organ. So, an octavia pedal would give me the traditional sound and freedom to put it in a different spot on the boards. POG is cool beans though.

Good luck with the univibe (clone or otherwise). There was a tube-powered pedal unit with a small protective "roll cage" for the tube that had some really great sample clips, but I can't recall the name... It's a great sound to have.

7. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

I had a few Vibes before I sprung for the Mega including a Mojo. The Mojo is a great pedal but the darker more liquid tones of the Mega ended my Vibe quest. Great sounding pedal.

8. Bob Sweet

Bob Sweet Member

Funny you should bring up Floyd, I just sold 2 of the guy's in the Roger Waters "Dark Side of the Moon" Tour 2006 (Jon Carin & Dave Kilminster) Mojo Vibes. Considering everyone with a soldering iron now makes a Uni-Vibe clone I was pretty excited that they picked mine. They got a Purple 0ne and a Swirly One.
    I have lots of guys everyone would reconize that use my stuff, but I'm a little geeked that they picked mine because that album was one of the defacto standards in "Uni-Vibe" sounds. And when recreating those sounds they decided on mine....well I'm just a little excited...can you tell? :)

Sorry I know this has nothing to do with this thread.....

9. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I'd be excited to get run over by Roger Waters.

10. drolling

drolling Member

Congrats Bob!
    For years my rig's consisted of a few choice amps and a couple of old guitars that have been massaged & tweaked to a state of near perfection - the pedalboard, on the other hand, has been in a constant state of flux.. fuzzes, boosters & wahs seem to come and go, but the big black UltraVibe on the bottom left corner has been a mainstay for years. If you don't count the modulated analogue delays (OK, three!), it's the only *swirly* I use. Should it ever wear out, the only thing I'd consider replacing it with would be a MojoVibe:AOK

11. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

No, I mean the Mojo Vibe has additional depth not found in most others. It also has the buffered "modern" mode which offers more brightness and clarity. These might be factors for you.

You'll be getting a great vibe with either the Mega or the Mojo and only your personal tastes will be the deciding factor. I owned them both at one time and ended up choosing the Mega because I was able to get closer to 'Machine Gun' and 'Bridge of Sighs' with it. YMMV.

The difference to my ears is the voicing. The Mojo seems to operate on slightly higher frequencies than the Mega. This makes the Mojo stronger on the higher notes and imparts a phasiness to the tone. The Mega is stronger in the lowest octave making it throbbier.

Ah, the eternal frustration of trying to describe tone! :jo

12. Mr. Green

Mr. Green Member

Congrats Bob...
    Roger Waters is schedule to play here, at the 6/22 ...so I'll keep My eye ( ears ) on your boys ....:YinYang

13. Mr. Green

Mr. Green Member

well you said it... no one can bit the " Machine Gun " vibe ...:AOK

know what you feel ....

14. Shakermaker

Shakermaker Member

That's awesome, thanks for sharing. Have got tickets to see 'em in Hyde Park soon. Can't wait!

15. Bob Sweet

Bob Sweet Member

Thanks, that's really nice of you to say :)

16. Bob Sweet

Bob Sweet Member

17. g.griffith

g.griffith Member

I've gone back and forth so many times on different Vibes, and I'm always willing to try out new builders and ideas. A good vibe sound a la "Dark Side..." is equally as important to me as my overdrives... I always find myself coming back to the Mojo Vibe. Congrats Bob, that is really great news. I'll be hearing those vibes at the Hollywood Bowl!

18. jgyn

jgyn Member

So far I have 2: Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe, and Sweet Sound Ultra Vibe. Both great.

19. exodus

exodus Member

Back to the KR-- now that I have some time ot post my thoughts on it

It has exactly what I was looking for in a vibe and sounds equally great clean or getting slammed with a dirt or fuzz pedal. I also find almost all the speed settings useful and the throb never gets in the way... or becomes too overbearing. It has a ton of headroom and easily takes any other pedal I put in front of it. I've been considering getting the smaller "mini" megavibe, but to be honest, I don't really care how much space it takes up... its really that good.

I think the tones on the website are pretty accurate, of course it all largely depends on your setup. IMO, it's the closest thing to a hendrix vibe tone that I've played.

20. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

I was playing my UBERVIBE from retroman in stereo today just for ***** and giggles and wow. Simply beautiful.