Kramer Focus 3000 - yea or nay?

ShavenYak

I know of a music store that has one - metallic red, black pickguard, HSS, Floyd, original "Strat minus the scroll" headstock style. It plays wonderfully, sounds great. I don't know what the pickups are, but they sound too good to be the cheap generic ones that would probably have come stock in the "budget" line - maybe Duncans?

They have a $399 sticker on it. I don't think it's really worth that, but wondering what the consensus here is on its value. The particular shop has some great guys, easy to work with, and I've bought enough from them that I should be able to get a fair price.

No comments needed about it being only for cheesy '80s hair band music, because that's exactly how I'm intending to use it.

ShavenYak

Yeah, "budget" maybe wasn't the best term, those would have been the Strikers IIRC. Still, I didn't expect the pups to sound as good as they did.

Grandturk

I bought a like new Focus 2000 in 1992 for $125. Sweet guitar. These days I don't think they're worth much more than the Floyd that's on it so I wouldn't budget more than $200 - $250 for it.

The 3000 is the pickguard HSS model, right?

RCM78

IMO they are underated. Built for Kramer by ESP. $399 is on the high side though...

zorak

Gold Supporting Member
A little more money and you can have an American Pacer. It seems like a little too much for a Focus. But they are pretty good guitars, in general. Mostly MIJ, at least early on.

asintoras

I just got a Yamaha RGX312 from the late '80s early '90s with a TRS101 Floyd licensed tremolo (made in Japan) and a SD Invader pickup for $75. Now I put an early 70's T-top humbucker and it's great for EVH and some hair rock. I am planning to sell the Invader for about 35 bucks, so considering that, in total I will have spent about $40 for the guitar (if I sell the pickup). The guitar has an alder body and maple/rosewood neck, and it is a great sounding/player gtr.

The reason why I am writing this is that you can get decent guitars for doing that type of music for very cheap. I know Kramer has done great stuff, but I don't consider that as a good investment.

Good luck!

wemedge

The 3000s are actually quite solid guitars. Downside is that the maple body can be somewhat heavy. I got one for $250.00 (Matsumoku, MIJ) in great shape last year (with case), and I think that $250-300 ballpark is what I would aim for. Not bad when you figure an 80s original floyd rose unit alone would cost you maybe $125-150.

wemedge

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
A 3000 should have an original Floyd Rose on it and be a very solid guitar. These days you can buy a USA Kramer in the $300 range, so the Focus line should be cheaper than that.

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
A 3000 should have an original Floyd Rose on it and be a very solid guitar. These days you can buy a USA Kramer in the $300 range, so the Focus line should be cheaper than that.
I think you are a little low there.

RedTiger

I think you are a little low there.
Yeah, he is. "USA Kramers" are also known as "Gibsons" (in other words, I don't think Gibson has any US Made Kramers, do they?)

That price probably a little high. I found a Focus 1000 for $200 once in a pawn shop out of town, bought it, came home and found a cleaner example of one in a guitar shop for $120. :FM

Anyway...vintagekramer.com is your friend.

http://www.vintagekramer.com/focus.htm

arem

I still have Focus 3000 I bought back in 1985 or 86, it's the guitar I learned how to play on. Mine is a decent guitar but definitely on the heavy side. The Floyd is a good one but I didn't like the stock pickups and swapped them out many years ago.

I don't think it cost me $399 brand new, so it's interesting to find they are selling for that much now. I'd say check it out and if it's calling to you that hard buy it, but you can get a lot of new guitar for $400.

ShavenYak

Yeah, I've already done a bit of eBay searching and read all the info at vintagekramer.com. I might be better off grabbing one of eBay, they aren't selling for more than $250 there, but I hate buying without being able to play first. Maybe I'll make the shop a lowball offer, worst they can do is tell me to pound sand, right? Perhaps I'll let it sit and collect dust on the wall for a bit first, and go in armed with eBay results....

Trending Topics