Kramer pacer vintage vs baretta 84

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jvaughn1686, Feb 3, 2015.

1. jvaughn1686

jvaughn1686 Member

I've never owned a Kramer, but have developed the gas for one. Anyone have any experience with either or both of these newer issues? Pros and cons of each? Any input would be great, thanks

2. Phila67

Phila67 Member

I have the cheaper Pacer re-issue ($300) and a Kramer '84 with the Maple neck ($700). The '84 is the better of the two, but both are great values. The '84 has a Seymour Duncan while the Pacer has generic hot pickups. The licensed Floyd on the Pacer is not the best, but it works fine. Both are made in Korea.

The Pacer has a wider fret board than the 84 and the cheaper model has some sharp fret edges. The pickups sound good, with the neck humbucker being a bit muddy on high gain. The Pacer Vintage has better pickups.

With regard to the '84, it has a coil tap, but on mine, I was unclear at first which position employed the tap (up or down). I believe down is the full humbucker. But on some amps, I have had more noise on the down position (Gibson on-line manuals say "up" is the humbucker for guitars with a coil tap?) making me think that maybe it is the singe coil. But I am sure now that down is the full humbucker. The neck has a nice feel, with no sharp edges. The guitar is a bit heavy--not a basswood body like the 5150. The thumbscrews holding the wrenches for the Floyd are hard to turn and sometimes don't hold the wrenches in securely. It plays fine though and fits the bill as an 80s shred machine. I am happy with both.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
    Dannyz and sausagefingers like this.
  3. jvaughn1686

jvaughn1686 Member

Thanks Phil, I was leaning towards the 84 because I've heard good things and it would be used mainly as a one trick pony. The tonal options of the Pacer vintage are appealing, but I have other guitars that fit that need. On your 84, how is the volume knob? Does it clean up well? How is the taper?

4. Phila67

Phila67 Member

The volume knob is fine; it's not a super audio pot, but it seems to clean up okay. Putting it through an old JCM 800, with the pre-amp on 7, the guitar will clean up at about a 1/4 of a turn from full closed. I don't know about durability--I haven't tried to play Cathedral with it (nor can I :)).

Also, the guitar comes out of the box with the Floyd raised up a bit off the body; it's not flush and it has some slight float. I screwed mine down for dive bomb only use.

Dannyz likes this.
  5. jvaughn1686

jvaughn1686 Member

Ok, sounds great. You've definitely helped me make my decision, thank you for all the info. I will be doing the same to my floyd as well once it comes in. I don't intend on trying to get any Beck flutter out of it. :) It will be used for diving rock only.