Krank Nineteen80 Users?

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
I know there aren't many Krank fans out there, but the nineteen80 has my interest. Anyone have one?

Robbgnarly

Yeah , great HR marshall tones. The full sized head reminded me a lot of a Splawn Quick Rod. The 1980 Jr 20 watt which I have now is similar, but it is not as gainny as the 80 watt version.

My JCM2000 DSL100 has more gain on tap just for comparison, but I really like the 1980 that is why I bought the Jr version.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah , great HR marshall tones. The full sized head reminded me a lot of a Splawn Quick Rod. The 1980 Jr 20 watt which I have now is similar, but it is not as gainny as the 80 watt version.

My JCM2000 DSL100 has more gain on tap just for comparison, but I really like the 1980 that is why I bought the Jr version.

So you got rid of the 1980? Was there anything bad about the amp? It seems like most people who has one ended up selling theirs.

What kind of music was it good for? Only metal, or classic rock stuff too?

Robbgnarly

So you got rid of the 1980? Was there anything bad about the amp? It seems like most people who has one ended up selling theirs.

What kind of music was it good for? Only metal, or classic rock stuff too?
No the one I had I bought used and it developed a popping sound that was not the tubes so I sent it back to Guitar center but they did not have another one at that time. So I opted for the 1980 Jr. Think of it like a JCM800 with more gain on tap (that is why I said Splawn). I don't se me getting rid of mine anytime soon.

It will do a wide range of tones and it has a really nice clean channel. It is more of a mid-hi gain, not a modern hi-gain. It will do blues and rock just fine. It will do metal, but it does it best with a boost IMO.

I play in a Prog-rock/metal band and the 1980 does it fine. I also played in a punk/hardcore band and it was just fine for that also.

The 1980 and the older Chadwick amps are IMO Kranks best, most versatile amps they made. And for the used prices it is hard to beat the tone and quality of them. The 1980 Jr that I have I paid $300 at GC for and it is 20 watts with an unbelievable amount of clean headroom even on the clean channel. It can easily handle gigging without being mic'd in most venues. I typically use mine for band practice with a loud drummer, mesa 1/2 stack and Ampeg SVT and 8x10 cab it keeps up just fine (we practice loud also)

10string

LLLLLLOVE my Jr. really want a second one as a backup. Everything that I was looking for in a 20w: HR JCM800 tone, effects loop, affordable. Pushes my 1960BV with authority! Too bad they didnt catch on.

If you cant find one check out the Stiff 90AD, supposed to be Tony Kranks new version. I havent tried it yet so I cant give you an honest assessement.

Hamer95USA

I just bought a Krank Nineteen80 Jr. amp head. Does anyone have an owners manual that they scan and e-mail to me?

Guitar George

Trending Topics