KRK RP-8 - Discontinued?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by bigkahuna, Apr 24, 2008.

1. bigkahuna

bigkahuna Member

Several online music retailers have the KRK RP-8 listed as discontinued. Anyone know why the current KRK Rokit line is apparently being discontinued? The KRKSYS site did not have information posted about discontinuing the Rokit line or having a replacement. Any thoughts?

2. bigkahuna

bigkahuna Member

My email inquiry to KRK support:

Has the KRK Rokit RP-8 line been discontinued? Most online retailers that carry the line have it listed as being discontinued. If so, is there a new replacement line being released?

Response from KRK today:

Yes a new line is being released. The RP series has stopped being manufactured

3. scottlr

scottlr Member

Too bad, I have those and they are pretty kick ass for the money!

4. toadcaller

toadcaller Member

Weird. Just bought a pair with the RP10 sub and I love 'em!

5. Lution

Lution Member

I've got the RP-6s. A very nice set of studio monitors!

6. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

KRK's are lame monitors. I have a pair, and they are so far from neutral sounding, that I might as well mix with bose home speakers. Buy a pair of Beyer Dynamic 770 pro headphones, and hear just how far off the KRKs are. Until then, ignorance is bliss.

7. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

Seems to me they like updating models. I have the KRK V6's and they discontinued them also (these monitors are fantastic - my only quirk is that the power on is on the back- I'd like it on the front)

8. toadcaller

toadcaller Member

Very true. I hate that POP I get when shutting everything off before the speakers (bad idea, but I get lazy). With the proper set-up, low pass and HF settings I get everything I need with these suckers, all for about $700.

When mixing I still use my tiny reference monitors for a take or two just to be sure. When I crank it up for thrills, I pump it through a pair of QSC HPA122is. Bliss...

9. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I just now emailed them asking what differences there are between the old E8 and this new E8B, other than the cabinet shape. The old E8s were fantastic monitors, the most accurate nearfields I've ever worked with.

10. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Comparing headphones to nearfields is like... um... pomegranates to pears.

11. oldrock

oldrock Member

I have a pair of RP-8s and have no complaints at all. THey have been 100% reliable and do a very good job for their price range. There are always going to be better quality monitors out there if you are willing to pay the extra money for them but for the home recording studio, I think they were a good fit. Shame they are phasing them out.