KRK RP5's or RP8's?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by atljogger, Aug 14, 2008.

1. atljogger

atljogger Member

I am buying my first set of monitors for home recording. There are two good local deals on KRK RP5's and RP8's where I am. I have a small studio setup at home (10x10 room) - is there any reason I need 8's over the 5's. The price is good on the 8's but still $150 more than the 5's. I record rock, indie, country - no hip-hop.

- J

2. kmgiants

kmgiants Member

It's not an apples to apples comparison, but I have the older KRK V4s which have a 4" woofer instead of 5" like the RP5s. I've found that if I crank them up, the bass is surprisingly good. But the problem is that I don't like monitoring/mixing at that loud of volume and have been considering a subwoofer so I can get those frequencies which just aren't there w/ the small cones. I think if I'd gone w/ a step-up in monitor size from the beginning, I wouldn't need the sub. Still, the V4s have served me well for a few years, and it's only now that I'm getting a bit more serious about things that I'm considering the sub. (and room treatment is a huge part of this as well - and something I need to address, probably before worrying about a sub).

3. atljogger

atljogger Member

Thanks. Really not much room treatment at the apartment - I guess 5's or 8's are about the same with not treatment, huh?

4. meterman

meterman Member

I'm a recording noob so take this FWIW but I have an untreated room about the same size and a pair of the KRK RP5s. I really like the way they sound and they are more than adequate for my room, in fact they have clean power to spare and plenty of low end. Seems I read maybe they hype the low end already to make things sound better so I would think the 8s might be overkill in a small room.

5. MagicNelson

MagicNelson Supporting Member

I've got the RP5s in a treated room and they sound great. IMO, they are the best monitors in that price range. However, if you have the chance to get the RP8s, I would go for those instead. The bass response is good in the RP5s but its alot better in the RP8s. Hope that helped.

6. kmgiants

kmgiants Member

I just meant for my own personal situation, that I probably should focus more on treatment first - so I can hear more "true". Then re-assess and see if I feel I still need the sub.

I don't think you'll regret either choice and if you need to save space and save cash, the RP5s will do those for you. If you haven't had a set of monitors before, prepare to be blown away with the stuff you'll hear, even in CDs you've listened to hundreds of times.

7. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

RP5s are great monitors. I mix rock, indie, and soul recordings on a pair in a 8'x14' room and they are tremendous. More clean volume than I need. The only issue is that the low sub-bass frequencies don't appear. It is easy to miss boominess in your source signal because it did not appear in the RP5s. Having said that, for the styles you'd be mixing, you probably won't run into much trouble.

8. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

10 x 10 is a pretty small room, so the 5s should not be a problem; in fact, the 8s may excite any room modes with their increased volume and you may be better off with the smaller speakers.

For a long time, George Martin's Air Studios in London used a pair of B&W 805s with small woofers (not sure if they are 5.5s or 6.5s, but still not 8s) as the primary near field monitors.

How do the 5s sound to your ears? If they sound good, they ARE good. It's really that simple.

As for ultra low frequency problems, even 8s aren't going to show you much, you need a sub for those. And guess what, 5s integrate just fine with a small sub.

What were the old standard NS10s? I think they were 6 or 6.5s also.