KT-66 cleans & crunch to EL34 gain: Which Boutique amp is best?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kaos Blues, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Kaos Blues

Kaos Blues Member

Hi Guys,

First time thread starter here....hoping to get some feedback on trying to get a great amp that becomes the base to my sound.

I'm looking for a versatile plexi style boutique-built amp that has the following capabilities:
    - Great cleans/crunch like the KT66 based marshalls (to do Hendrix/SRV styles)
    - Gain similar to the EL34-based late 60s/early 70 plexi marshalls (blues/rock sounds)
    - Highly sensitive to volume control and pick attack
    - Organic/complex/rich/warmth..all those good words (maybe with switchable tube/ss rectifier?)
    - High quality build/robust amp

I will run it through a closed quad box, loaded with scumback's version of the GM12 25 watt greenbacks. Mostly run single coil, but also use an LP style guitar at times. Styles of music run from blues/rock & some progressive styles with bit of fusion

Getting a mix of those above qualities might be hard, but I'm currently considering:
    - Reinheardt (v50?)
    - Germino (55LV?)
    - Metropoulos (10/12000 series?)

I'm finding it hard to choose, and its hard for me to get to play them live, so I would love to hear any feedback from anyone that's got some experience with these or what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

2. Norjef

Norjef Member

Illi-noise - governors making license plates
    You're describing the Victoria Sovereign (or old Egnater MICA/TOL 100)
    "hzisser" has the Vic for sale in the Emporium NOW.

I've had Plexis, various Mesas, Egnaters, Riveras. I got to proto Mark's Sovereign for couple months - prolly one of the 2 best sounding amps I've EVER played/heard

3. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

I'm partial to Germino, but you can't go wrong with Reinhardt either.

4. Rick360

Rick360 Member

Howdy,

You might want to investigate Dr.Z's Route 66. It could be right up your alley. It was designed with "beano" tone in mind and has a pair of KT66s. Visit Dr.Z's website and look around the internets for clips. It's a thick sounding amp, alright.

5. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

6. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

My preference is the Reinhardt V50 if you have the chance.
    The external bias makes it very easy to switch back and forth between KT66 or EL34 type tubes. I particularly like the tungsol kt66 in there. I know it's not a traditional KT But it sounds great to sort of bridge the gap between the plexi and metal faced Marshall tones

That said the Germino and Metropolous amps are very well built and sound fantastic as well.

7. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

If you click the YouTube link in my sig I have a couple videos of the Reinhardt vintage 50 with the tungsol KT66

8. Kaos Blues

Kaos Blues Member

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Norjef: No I haven't heard the Victoria, I will take look.

Rick36:Interesting, I'm aware of them, but not heard much, I check it out...

BAN: The Fargen sounds impressive...

Big mike: Thanks for the links, I do like the V50...

Tough choices. I was also considering the Komet K60, but, while a great amp, seems to be a bit more of a 'modern' sounding amp (trainwreck derived), whereas the other are closer to a traditional sounding amps.

9. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

I think a Bogner Goldfinger should be added to the list; I think it has the KT-66 part of the equation down pretty well (althuogh it uses 6V6's)

It has a ton of flexibilty (4 power options) and reverb to boot