KT-66s.........

PUCKBOY99

Gold Supporting Member
Hey Fellas,

Aside from the big money Genelex & that Chinese crap, what KT-66s are you guys using/what would you recommend?

Anyone try the NEW Tung Sols????

Thanks!
:BEER

Pentode

Silver Supporting Member
Well, I'm using the "chinese crap" which sounds much better to my ears than the GT KT66HP.

PUCKBOY99

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah, big time......I can't see paying $400.00 for a pair of tubes.

Maybe if they actually improved my playing....:rolleyes: :eek:

1 vote for the Valve Arts..................

Pentode

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, those are mainly rock star and cork sniffing material.

I'm curious too, about the new Tung-Sol......anyone tried them yet?

rooster

I've used the Valve Art ones in a few amps, and they sound VERY nice. Nothing to complain about. Pretty much the only chinese tube I like.

rooster.

Kiwi

Gold Supporting Member
Run a search on the topic. Many comments and recommendations on which Chinese and Russian tubes are good.

Kiwi

MK.II

I really like the Valve Arts/Shuguang KT66's and the GTKT66C's (which are also Chinese) in my modded to vintage specs RI JTM45. I didn't really care for the GTKT66HP's as much as the GTKT66C's.

I also tried the new TungSol KT66's about 5 months ago. I had them in my amp for about 30 minutes and had my tech take them back out and put in the Chinese KT66's instead. With the TungSols my amp didn't sound the same as what I'm used to hearing from it. They made my amp sound brighter and not as fat. The TungSols didn't sound bad, just different in a way that I didn't like as much. They almost sounded more like 5881's to me. Someone else may prefer the sound of the TungSols, but I didn't. YMMV.

Mr.Hanky

Originally posted by MK.II
I really like the Valve Arts/Shuguang KT66's and the GTKT66C's (which are also Chinese) in my modded to vintage specs RI JTM45. I didn't really care for the GTKT66HP's as much as the GTKT66C's.

Ditto in my Route 66, GEC's are worth it if...

a) you have the coin
b) in the right amp

Roe

Originally posted by PUCKBOY99
Never heard of them Roe...thanks, I'll look into them.
they are not ready for sale yet, I believe. They will also cost qoute a lot. But they will be among the best kt66s ever built.

PUCKBOY99

Gold Supporting Member
Originally posted by Pentode
Hey Puckboy, that chinese crap is is good shee-it, man
So I'm hearing!!!:D

I really shouldn't be surprised....the 9th Gen. Shuguang 12AX7s can add some nice gain to an amp.

I'm just a little against China, per se, & try not to use anything made there...my own political boycott, if you will.

BUT....England ran Hong Kong for a long time; I'm guessing some enterprising bloke along the line must've thought it was a good idea to make some tubes there, so it doesn't shock that they do the best copy of a British tube.

I'm blabbering like an idiot now, so I'll stop......I think I'm gonna do a comparison of the GTs, Valve Art, & Tung Sol.

Roe, if the price of the new ones is anything like the price of the ones I found in a search, I don't foresee me getting any in the near future!;)

Thanks for the replies fellas:BEER

Pentode

Silver Supporting Member
There is a Sovtek KT-66 available, but I have not tried it yet. You may want to check it out. Let us know the results of your comparison.:BEER

Trending Topics