KT-77's, anybody using the new JJ's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by uberpict, May 22, 2006.

1. uberpict

uberpict Member

Just curious if anyone has tried these and what you think of them. They're supposed to be direct replacements for EL34's, has anyone had problems biasing or getting good tone? I like the JJ/GT E34L's and the JJ EL84's so I was considering the KT-77's to see if I like them. Sound off! :cool:

2. 6AM

6AM Supporting Member

If you're using a Bogner Uberschall, you may have a problem biasing them. Bogner amps tend to have very little sweep on their bias trim pots.

They are very bassy, the mids and high do suffer a little because of it.

3. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

I got a quad from Doug for my Splawn QR...Made a huge improvement...
    It completely tightened up the bass response, pulled out the strong mids, and smoothed out the top end.
    Doug also put a set in his Roccaforte 30 and it made a big improvement.
    Steve

4. uberpict

uberpict Member

Thanks guys! I really want to try these, mainly curiosity of the mystique surrounding the KT-77. The Genalex Gold Lion KT-77's are the highest priced NOS tubes out there so I want to see what the hype is about. I have read that the JJ's aren't to dissimilar to the originals so that's encouraging.

Word on double checking about the bias, the amp's a Rivera so I'll contact them about the KT-77's to get their input first. I've got E34L's in now and they barely biased out per Rivera's specs of 40mA/tube. Could probably go hotter with those tubes but they're not overly sterile or brittle at 40mA. They're not quite as "sweet" sounding as the SED's that were in the amp but they do have a big tight bottom end. All about trade-offs and preference I suppose.

Tube rolling is so much fun! :D

5. mailman

mailman Member

Got the JJ KT77's in my Flexi-50 and prefer them over the stock Chinese EL34's. Tighter, punchier bass, great mids and highs without being piercing. Liked so much I picked up an extra pair as a spare. Try 'em. Can't beat the price, either ($35/pr.)!:AOK

6. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

By swapping to the 77's doesn't that turn the QR into a Pro Mod? Did you rebias it? When I swap the tubes in my CR I may try the 77's. Sounds like you like them. Is it more modern sounding? I like the 80's vibe with the EL-34s but they are kind of midrangy.

7. lastwinj

lastwinj Member

300b NOS western electric.

8. uberpict

uberpict Member

Well, you got me there. :D

Let me re-phrase, "The Gold Lion KT-77's are one of the highest priced NOS tubes out there". Just checking around I've seen them as high as $900/matched pair for genuine unused NOS. :eek:

9. templar

templar Member

high there all, forgive my ignorance. will the KT77's work OK in SLO100? anyone here tried them in SLO100?

10. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

Wasn't there something about the pins being oversized on these in the early ones? If so has that been corrected?

11. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I installed a new quad in my Mesa Stiletto and liked them at first. Then I got to compare my Stiletto side-by-side with a buddy that was running stock EL34's in his. We used the same cab (stereo) with an A/B box and compared them in depth. His amp sounded much more alive.

I have found that ALL JJ tubes suck the life out of any amp I've owned. That's just my opinion, so don't shoot me. But JJ tubes in general are like putting a blanket over the speaker cab to me. I took them out and put the stock EL34's back in and I'm much happier.

12. garbud

garbud Member

UNDERSIZED! I don't believe that has been fixed as of yet, but I'm told by Bob at Eurotubes soon.

Garbud

13. myles111

myles111 Member

Very nice tubes and they test well. In the end it will be user taste and preference but from a testing standpoint they hit the design marks of a good EL-34 type.