KT66 in a bassman?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by skylabfilmpop, Jan 7, 2008.

1. skylabfilmpop

skylabfilmpop Silver Supporting Member

Anyone ever done this? It sounds like a good idea, better OD for sure and electrically pheasable. I am curious if these a good KT66 that FITS physically. Anyone? Thanks!

2. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Depends on what bassman you are talking about.I had an AB165 that I converted to an AA864 and used KT66's.Many earlier bassman heads were too small cabinet-wise to fit a KT66.They won't fit into a 6G6 cabinet.

3. skylabfilmpop

skylabfilmpop Silver Supporting Member

Yes was speaking of blackfaced era heads. JJ lt66's look like they will fit if you install the chassis with tubes in place by about a 1/4 "

4. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Some time ago I had a customer bring me a '64 Blonde Showman that some previous "tech" had roughly hacked a slot in the floor of the cabinet so it could take a taller tube... in one socket :rolleyes:.

Don't you just love people who do a job properly? :)

5. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

I have a '59 Reissue Bassman 410 (converted to a 212), can I put KT66's in it? Will that "Marshall it up"?

6. ibblue2

ibblue2 Member

I had a Tremolux head that I ran KT 66's, had to pull the chassis to install or remove. I like the Chinese KT 66 version the best, Valve art is one of the labels. Improved the sound over production 6L6's at the time.