KT66 sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by riffmeister, Apr 7, 2015.

1. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

What is the "KT66 Sound".....how does it compare to 6L6 and EL34?

Edit: let's say you are swapping power tubes in the same amp, IOW, the power tubes are the only variable.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  2. guitback

guitback Member

To me they sound like a 6L6, but bigger...more expansive. To my ear they don't have the edge or crunch of an EL34. They are like a "higher level" 6L6 in that they provide much the same response only on a more grand level. I had a Kendrick tweed bassman clone and those tubes gave that amp a bit more of a Blackface feel to my ear.

3. FFTT

FFTT Member

Here ya go!

More sound clip mp3's on the Reeves site.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  4. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Well... there are variants on KT-66, 6L6GC and EL34. But, in my experience swapping all three in the same amp, the KT-66 is more like the 6L6GC, with a bit more low-end grunt and somewhat greater clarity.

- T

5. riffmeister

Gracias. Does the "kinkless" part of kinkless tetrode have an audible effect in a guitar amp? Is that the 'clarity' you mention?

6. ROKY

ROKY Member

On the 'net I've always read that the 'kink' referred to the midrange content.

6L6 - somewhat of a mid scoop/kink in the mids
    KT-66 - less, so ..

6550 - mid scoop/kink
    KT-88 - less, so..

KT-77 - not sure in relation to EL-34 since the EL-34 has the mids,but the KT-77s are reported to have the clarity thang happenin'

7. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Well, oddly, I couldn't pull off any Ray Davies tunes. Other than that... I'm not sure. I do like the low-mids of the KT-66, and perhaps that's related??

The clarity I've experienced is in original GEC KT-66, and is probably due to QC on their materials and workmanship. I've not tried all current-production KT-66, but Chinese Shuguang and New Sensor's Gold Lion are both good.

- T

8. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for asking about this. The responses so far are similar to what I've read elsewhere. I have an Alessandro Black 'n Tan and a set of 6L6s, EL34s, and KT66s. When I can find the time, I intend to do a comparison.

9. music321

music321 Member

This has been addressed elsewhere on TGP, and in other forums. In fact, I think I might have started a thread regarding this at one point. The "take away" info that I got was, as was stated, that the tube is similar to a cross between a 6l6 and el34, but without the mid scoop of the 6l6. Also, just swapping tubes in an amp made for an el34 isn't going to let the tube shine. It should have a different plate voltage (which means changing transformers).

After walking away with this info, my next thought was, "well ok, that sounds nice, but how much of a difference is there"? I can't tell you from experience, but the answer that I received was that you will notice a difference if you hear a recording played through high-end monitors. You will not hear a difference of a recording of a band situation.

10. neils

neils Member

I have an Emery Superbaby amp. I can swap in all the tubes you mention. Lately I have been playing a KT88 vs 66 and an EL 34.
    The 88 has less top end cut than the 66. The 66 always feels like it has a clarity that the KT88 and EL34 don't. The EL 34 has a thicker mid sound than the 66, about the same as the 88 but the tone of that mid is different.

For about 6 years now through all kinds of tubes I keep going back the the KT66. The KT88 and also the 6550 I also like and the EL34 is one I've warmed up to lessneil

11. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

Adam @ Satellite talked about the KT66's he puts in his Barracuda amp. He found that the KT66 did not go as close to 'square wave' form as other tubes and it had a smoother over driven sound. I can't find the quote or I would paste it in here. He also mentioned that the Gold Lion reissues were a great tube for the shoppers looking for new tubes.

Russ

12. riffmeister

Thanks and Thanks!